Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 07:25 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,224,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
One of the main reasons that people talk about sin and God’s wrath is that many misrepresent God’s Word. In my humble opinion, for people to intentionally twist the meaning of Scripture to fit their ideology is probably one of the worst sins to commit, even murder.
Man will promptly defend any thought, not at variance with his expectations, nor contrary to his own self-interests, as the eyes can only see what the mind has, is, and will be prepared to comprehend. And, no matter what you do in the letter of the law (in the flesh), it cannot result in life in the Spirit, unless, God through Christ Jesus changes the individuals heart or the heart of a nation.

So, you should humble yourself before the God you offend with all that self-righteousness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 08:22 PM

3,220 posts, read 912,614 times
Perfect peace is in the heart of the righteous and the humble walk in perfect spirit.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:17 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,236,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Perfect peace is in the heart of the righteous and the humble walk in perfect spirit.
I have no doubt a person who does right has an inner peace. ('Righteous' has almost as
many triggers to some as the word 'God'.)

But God didn't say that here. Nor Isaiah here.
'Perfect' peace is way diff than peace. ...'Staying your mind on Him' is specific..is diff than
doing good (right) and thinking pure, right good thoughts.
Humility is wonderful...keeps a person pretty peaceful.
'Perfect spirit'?... what is a perfect spirit, please.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:31 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,236,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
... In my humble opinion, for people to intentionally twist the meaning of Scripture
to fit their ideology is probably one of the worst sins to commit, even murder.
Ya know I used to be an Charismatic Christian, Bap in the Holy Spirit, healer, speaker in tongues...
please don't embarrass other Christians
by saying that twisting words (which is not twisting, but another interpretation) is (probably) worst than murder. (in your humble opinion)

I want you to think before you say some things.
You have a zeal ...that is obvious...but, you can't speak this way to non-believers
and think you won't be laughed at...and then, other Christians, too.

Christianity is like a club with it's own language.
Talk like this with your friends ...not to atheists or people on the fence or agnostics...certainly
not educated, thoughtful people with deductive reasoning skills.
Hone your teaching or speaking skills to fit your audience, dear.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:05 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,322,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
That's one of those verses that stuck with me as well, MissH. Together with, "As a person thinks, so s/he is" and "Be transformed by the renewing of your mind", and "Whatever is noble, lovely, etc., think on these things."

It's simple for me. As a person who was mired in depression for most of my life, when I finally realized I wasn't at the mercy of my thoughts but could actually learn to think about things which were uplifting, my life began to change for the better exponentially. But it all started with realizing that anything I thought about God that wasn't noble and lovely and didn't renew me and bring peace, wasn't true.

Just thinking about the bolded. I've often wondered how people who believe in eternal torment could ever be at peace with what they believe about God. I've always thought perhaps they just are really good at compartmentalizing but I didn't understand how that worked (not being a good compartmentalizer, myself). But I think I maybe get it now …

Some of those people choose to simply not think about that belief very often because, for most people, they've got a good moral compass and so they've got to know deep down that there's something incredibly off about such a belief. They think they have to believe it, because that's what they've been taught is true, but it's disturbing (to say the least) so they just put it way to the back recesses of their minds and never examine it because if they did, it would threaten their sanity (like it did for those of us who weren't so good at compartmentalizing). I've got to respect their ability to do that. That's not a bad skill to have.

Perhaps they pull it to the forefront of their minds occasionally when they are upset about how someone else is behaving badly towards themselves or others and feel powerless to do anything about it. They think, "They'll get what they've got coming," and that gives them a sort of sense of some control and power, which feels a heckuva lot better than feeling like they're helpless and, perhaps, on that level, it's a helpful belief to have for some people. But otherwise, they have found a way to essentially pretend it doesn't exist for the most part. And so, they can still "stay their mind on God" and find peace there.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:45 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,699,866 times
Quote:
I thought about God that wasn't noble and lovely and didn't renew me and bring peace, wasn't true.
NO it just wasn't true to you or your level of faith.
each of us can know him to our level of faith!

some will know this God and find his treasures there.

Isa 45:2

I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron:

Isa 45:3

And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the LORD, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel.

Isa 45:4

For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.

Isa 45:5

I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

Isa 45:6

That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.
Isa 45:7

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil( bad, evil

bad, disagreeable, malignant

bad, unpleasant, evil (giving pain, unhappiness, misery)

evil, displeasing

bad (of its kind - land, water, etc)

bad (of value)

worse than, worst (comparison)

sad, unhappy

evil (hurtful)

bad, unkind (vicious in disposition)

bad, evil, wicked (ethically)

in general, of persons, of thoughts

deeds, actions

n m
evil, distress, misery, injury, calamity

evil, distress, adversity

evil, injury, wrong

evil (ethical)

n f
evil, misery, distress, injury

evil, misery, distress

evil, injury, wrong

evil (ethical) I the LORD do all these things.
)

I guess my point is that there is more to God than some of you are willing or have been willing or have the faith to see.
but maybe it is time to stop condemning those who are willing and might the faith to see more of him and to KNow him better..

here is the word to know in those verses..

יָדַע
Transliteration
yada`
Pronunciation
yä·dah' (Key)
Part of Speech
verb
Root Word (Etymology)
A primitive root
Dictionary Aids
TWOT Reference: 848

KJV Translation Count — Total: 947x
The KJV translates Strong's H3045 in the following manner: know (645x), known (105x), knowledge (19x), perceive (18x), shew (17x), tell (8x), wist (7x), understand (7x), certainly (7x), acknowledge (6x), acquaintance (6x), consider (6x), declare (6x), teach (5x), miscellaneous (85x).
Outline of Biblical Usage [?]
to know

(Qal)

to know

to know, learn to know

to perceive

to perceive and see, find out and discern

to discriminate, distinguish

to know by experience

to recognise, admit, acknowledge, confess

to consider

to know, be acquainted with

to know (a person carnally)

to know how, be skilful in

to have knowledge, be wise

(Niphal)

to be made known, be or become known, be revealed

to make oneself known

to be perceived

to be instructed

(Piel) to cause to know

(Poal) to cause to know

(Pual)

to be known

known, one known, acquaintance (participle)

(Hiphil) to make known, declare

(Hophal) to be made known

(Hithpael) to make oneself known, reveal oneself

Strong’s Definitions [?](Strong’s Definitions Legend)
יָדַע yâdaʻ, yaw-dah'; a primitive root; to know (properly, to ascertain by seeing); used in a great variety of senses, figuratively, literally, euphemistically and inferentially (including observation, care, recognition; and causatively, instruction, designation, punishment, etc.):—acknowledge, acquaintance(-ted with), advise, answer, appoint, assuredly, be aware, (un-) awares, can(-not), certainly, comprehend, consider, × could they, cunning, declare, be diligent, (can, cause to) discern, discover, endued with, familiar friend, famous, feel, can have, be (ig-) norant, instruct, kinsfolk, kinsman, (cause to let, make) know, (come to give, have, take) knowledge, have (knowledge), (be, make, make to be, make self) known, be learned, lie by man, mark, perceive, privy to, × prognosticator, regard, have respect, skilful, shew, can (man of) skill, be sure, of a surety, teach, (can) tell, understand, have (understanding), × will be, wist, wit, wot.

To know Him as who he is Our God and his son hsi right arm.. .. and to not be in Ignoring / ignorance of who he is . but that is about our level of faith and our lacking a need to Ignore him.
when is it time to stop condemning those who are but a little braver than you all have been to date?
maybe it is time to pray and ask him for bravery !

makes me think of what my sister had a dream about( and she wasn't even really a christian nor knows the bible) ..in her dream it was a day of calamity/ "an evil day of complete disaster" .. and as she said whole fronts of houses were blown off and it was very dark and very craziness and extremely cold .. people going nuts.. but the ones who were not going bat... crazy screaming and such .. were acting like nothing happened and were standing in their almost a kitchen and standing with glazed looks.. at the peice of what was left of thier stoven ANDS stirring pots with nothing in them and stirring them with NO SPOONS .. they had gone into such shock that they couldnt' function. so went into such complete denial . was that a day to come ? or was that a day NOW? ....or both?
but as they could be observed in her dream they sure looked like they were at "peace" more so than the ones running and getting militant and such trying to " save themselves " .. but I think they were in personal assalt and in internal violence.. but that is what I think denial is.

I believe there is a peace that is outside of circumstances even total destruction can't touch it .. that he promises to give us those richest of treasures from, even in the darkest days of "Evil".

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 08-21-2018 at 10:34 AM..

Old 08-21-2018, 10:28 AM

promises to the ones who know him and his treasures hidden in his darkness

A day of darkness*H2822*and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of thick darkness, as the morning spread upon the mountains: a great people and a strong; there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after it,*even*to the years of many generations.

*Amo 5:18
Woe unto you that desire the day of the LORD! to what end*is*it for you? the day of the LORD*is*darkness,*H2822*and not light.
*Mic 7:8
Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness,*H2822the LORD*shall be*a light unto me.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:47 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,322,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
... but maybe it is time to stop condemning those who are willing and might the faith to see more of him and to KNow him better...
What about me saying, "But it all started with realizing that anything I thought about God that wasn't noble and lovely and didn't renew me and bring peace, wasn't true" makes you feel condemned?

If your bible says that staying your mind on God will keep you in perfect peace, why would you argue with that?

Old 08-21-2018, 10:54 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,126,183 times
Quote:
What about me saying, "I thought about God that wasn't noble and lovely and didn't renew me and bring peace, wasn't true" makes you feel condemned?

If your bible says that staying your mind on God will keep you in perfect peace, why would you argue with that?
Because staying your mind on God involves considering, and more importantly being still to hear the still small voice that bible dwellers reject and dare not trust. It is new age nonsense to the like of xupia, unless of course it is stayed on the bible. Another example of God being a bible to them.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
What about me saying, "But it all started with realizing that anything I thought about God that wasn't noble and lovely and didn't renew me and bring peace, wasn't true" makes you feel condemned?

if the day of the Lord looks like anything close to my and my sisters dreams.. can you then stay in perfect peace? or is your peace contingeint only on what you chose to think about ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVLLiLrrMKQ

maybe some of already found more to him that just his "PEACE".. and decided to worship the whole of him not just the peices of him we like best..and yes I like his perfect peeace best too.. who wouldn't . but that is not all he is or has to offer us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity