Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 12:42 PM

175 posts, read 75,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
This is no longer the dark ages of devils and demons.
Absolutely correct. This is the 21st Century of devils and demons. Your belief that it isn't is precisely what the devils and demons hope you'll believe. I operate pretty effectively in the real world, and I'm 100% convinced that what I see unfolding around me can be explained ONLY on the basis of supernatural evil. Not merely human nature, corrupt as it may be, but supernatural evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 12:43 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
By Catholic Church I assume you mean the Roman Catholic Church as opposed to catholic in the sense of universal church which existed long before Roman Catholicism gained ascendancy. The Bible was not written by the Roman Catholic Church. It, with regard to the New Testament was written by the apostles of Jesus and by men closely associated with the apostles. But even the Old Testament speaks of a supernatural realm of existence as does the New Testament.

People like Jerwade don't care about what the text says or means. They simply deny the existence of angels because they adopt a post-modern enlightenment view which doesn't allow for the existence of the supernatural. Belief in the supernatural has no place in post-modern rationalistic thought.
I do not follow a syncretistic belief system that incorporates the imagination of men with that of reality.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerfball View Post
Absolutely correct. This is the 21st Century of devils and demons. Your belief that it isn't is precisely what the devils and demons hope you'll believe. I operate pretty effectively in the real world, and I'm 100% convinced that what I see unfolding around me can be explained ONLY on the basis of supernatural evil. Not merely human nature, corrupt as it may be, but supernatural evil.
More nonsense, but if it works for you? Whom am I to disagree?

Old 08-22-2018, 01:03 PM

Evil does not reside outside of that which contains it.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:58 PM

889 posts, read 825,080 times
Quote:
Actually, while it is true that all 27 NT books weren't assembled together under one cover until later, sometime during the 2nd century, and again this was long before the Roman Catholic Church gained power, certain books of the New Testament, such as the four Gospels, and at least some of Paul's letters were probably traveling together as one corpus or collection of books.

The church as a whole, not the Roman Catholic Church, recognized the canonicity of the books that comprise the NT canon. And all any church council did was to formally endorse the NT books which had long since been accepted by the church at large. As early as the mid 2nd century AD, the vast majority of the New Testament books were already recognized as authoritative whether they were under one cover or not.
Irrelevant. The Bible wasn't officially a thing until nearly 400. So, the bible everyone uses consists of books that the Catholic Church decided on and the folks could be confident in it's construction because of that Authority, then and now.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:39 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Irrelevant. The Bible wasn't officially a thing until nearly 400. So, the bible everyone uses consists of books that the Catholic Church decided on and the folks could be confident in it's construction because of that Authority, then and now.
No, not irrelevant. The Roman Catholic Church did not decide which books were a part of the canon. As already stated, the majority of the New Testament books were already recognized by the church at large as authoritative long before the Roman Catholicism gained power. The church at Rome from which Roman Catholicism later rose was but one local church, and not the first. The NT canon was the result of a general consensus among believers in both the western and eastern churches recognizing which books were authoritative. The Roman Catholic Church did not give us the Bible.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
No, not irrelevant. The Roman Catholic Church did not decide which books were a part of the canon. As already stated, the majority of the New Testament books were already recognized by the church at large as authoritative long before the Roman Catholicism gained power. The church at Rome from which Roman Catholicism later rose was but one local church, and not the first. The NT canon was the result of a general consensus among believers in both the western and eastern churches recognizing which books were authoritative. The Roman Catholic Church did not give us the Bible.
Letters are not authoritative, they are expressions from the writers perception.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Letters are not authoritative, they are expressions from the writers perception.
The writings of the apostles are authoritative whether you are wiling to accept that or not. As Paul stated in 1Thessalonians 2:13, what they taught was not the word of men, but the word of God. That means that their teachings, both orally and in writing were authoritative.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The writings of the apostles are authoritative whether you are wiling to accept that or not. As Paul stated in 1Thessalonians 2:13, what they taught was not the word of men, but the word of God. That means that their teachings, both orally and in writing were authoritative.
I do not see them as authoritative, inerrant or infallible.
Especially, when they are used as a whip to abuse others.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I do not see them as authoritative, inerrant or infallible.
Especially, when they are used as a whip to abuse others.
Of course you don't. And you can't wait to tell everyone that you don't. The orthodox Christian belief however is that the apostles and their writings are authoritative as the apostles themselves believed. Further discussion on this is pointless as you clearly do not hold to the teachings of the Christian faith and I'll not allow you to waste my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity