Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 10:21 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,217,258 times

Advertisements

Yup, no fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 10:27 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,302,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Yeah, that about sums it up for ME!
That's exactly what I think will happen!

(And then after that crying fest..the plan is..."Can we see Dad now?" Wish me luck!)
MissH, when I was a Christian, especially after I was freed from the beliefs that God was punishing and wrathful, I had that jubilant “cry-fest” experience where love and unconditional acceptance overwhelmed me. I had many of those. I assumed it was Jesus. Now, I know that love in a steadier, more consistent way, so the emotional response to it is usually quieter and more full of ease. And I no longer assume it’s Jesus, though he’s more than welcome to the party.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:38 PM

10,955 posts, read 7,008,714 times
I'd like to see him symbolically in other people now, and in person at the end of my life. Just a preference though; I'm flexible...

Old 08-23-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'd like to see him symbolically in other people now, and in person at the end of my life. Just a preference though; I'm flexible...
Lol...flexible is good...now... later...all good.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:48 PM

6,628 posts, read 2,820,546 times
Quote:
I can relate to this ^^^ post. There is so little of this 'symbolic' Jesus in today's people society whether they be professed Christians or not. There's too much anger and angst and vindictiveness perpetually driving people and it would appear that 'everyone' wants to get back at someone for 'something' ..."String 'em up and make me feel happy" appears to be the theme. And, this line of thought is being perpetuated more and more as each day goes by ...most often popular media driven which influences the thoughts and the opinions of the majority of people. Every now and again, however, I come across someone who has the quiet voice of reason, someone who doesn't appear to have a hateful bone in their body and it occurs to me that 'Jesus' is somewhere close by ...even if that person isn't a professed Christian.

As for meeting Jesus in person at the end of my life ...for me, that's a comforting thought if nothing else.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
... and it occurs to me that 'Jesus' is somewhere close by ...
even if that person isn't a professed Christian.
This reminded me of a dear friend, now an atheist, raised a Jew in NYC.
His wife, very spiritual, (also, my dear friend of 42 years), was complaining about a renter and how he needed to take care of it.

She told me he immediately turned to her and said, intently, "This is why we're here..to help people."
The woman stayed another 6 months paying no rent because of health issues.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:49 PM

10,955 posts, read 7,008,714 times
As a good example of how we are to be is to look at those who lived and walked in Jesus' presence on earth. They immediately began to emulate him.

It wasn't about living the same way as before, living as a heathen or hate-monger, and then waltzing into heaven on the day of death because they have a salvation gift card in their back pocket. Many today are of that mindset, and no one benefits from it.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 08-24-2018 at 01:20 PM..

Old 08-24-2018, 03:44 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,183,964 times
Quote:
As a good example of how we are to be is to look at those who lived and walked in Jesus' presence on earth. They immediately began to emulate him.

It wasn't about living the same way as before, living as a heathen or hate-monger, and then waltzing into heaven on the day of death because they have a salvation gift card in their back pocket. Many today are of that mindset, and no one benefits from it.
You do know that Fundamentalists have a get-out-of-jail free card?
Because they claim that they have a bond service or servant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity