Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 12:24 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
All across the fruited plain Pastors after a fiery sermon ask for people to come forward and repeat a flowery "sinners prayer" that supposedly ushers them into a salvation experience, but does it really? the fact is it isn't biblical at all...........

Just to be clear I was one of those who on Mar 5, 1980 said a "sinners prayer" that sounded nice and just like every preacher I had run across at the time. As time has gone on something obviously happened because I"m still here and loving Jesus more than ever, but I had to re-think all the flowery prose and "walking the aisle" and other non-biblical stuff and realize JESUS incorporated what HE wanted us to know about Him in a few sentences. During the earthly ministry the GOSPEL OF THE KINGDOM was preached and in it your were accepted if you knew Jesus was truly the SON OF GOD. The thief on the cross knew it and was promised heaven that very day, his buddy didn't and is still languishing in torments. the gospel of the kingdom needed two things, a KING and a KINGDOM........which were met with Jesus present.

Today we have the GOSPEL OF GRACE given to Paul...........one referred to in 1Cor 15......it also gives us what Jesus wants us to know TODAY for mostly GENTILES under grace (although both Jews and Gentiles can be saved under it). What He wants us to know is HE DIED FOR OUR SINS ON THE CROSS (no remission without the shedding of blood) ....in addition HE DIED PHYSICALLY AND WAS BURIED (to counteract the "swooning" theory He wasn't killed physically like the Gnostics claimed) and the important part was He was resurrected on the THIRD DAY PER SCRIPTURE something only God could know and predict.

After seeing Paul's strident defense of the gospel Jesus gave him to his small church groups, I had to re-think and also zero in on perhaps the most important thing you will ever believe in your life......just IMO those sitting in "church" who walked the aisle or said a make believe prayer that leaves out the elements listed above is to take your eternal salvation too carelessly, and something I won't tell someone else. Your mileage may vary and of course I know Romans 10:9-10 says something slightly different but still incorporates 'raised from the dead" in it.......but if you're going to believe why not the real thing. What you believe determines your eternal destiny.

This conversation in no way dictates who or how Jesus can save, HE is the sovereign SON OF GOD and He can do whatever He wants.......the key is Jesus completed everything needed on that cross to pay for all our sins and salvation is 100% from HIM alone, we just accept it (no works needed).......and praise Him forever..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 06:26 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
All across the fruited plain Pastors after a fiery sermon ask for people to come forward and repeat a flowery "sinners prayer" that supposedly ushers them into a salvation experience, but does it really? the fact is it isn't biblical at all...........
You are correct that an alien sinner cannot get salvation from a prayer. Many churches offer that hope to people tho.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:02 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
You are correct that an alien sinner cannot get salvation from a prayer. Many churches offer that hope to people tho.
Wrong.

Luke 18

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

Old 09-26-2018, 03:21 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Wrong.

Luke 18

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’
The lesson of the parable has got nothing to do with being saved.

Old 09-26-2018, 03:25 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Wrong.

Luke 18

Yep.

"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God."

Old 09-26-2018, 03:45 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yep.

"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God."
Nice, so no blood shed was necessary for this man to be saved?. Yes saved, that is what you are saying.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:38 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
It's not biblical.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:48 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Luke 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Nice, so no blood shed was necessary for this man to be saved?. Yes saved, that is what you are saying.
It only takes a change of heart or your perspective.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:46 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
A person is saved by grace through faith in Christ Jesus. How you express that faith in response to the gospel message may vary. It is certainly valid to express your faith in the form of a prayer. There is no set formula prayer that you must pray. The exact wording of that prayer may vary, but God recognizes the faith behind the words. And whether you say it out loud or silently think it is irrelevant.
In other words, just believe...

Old 09-29-2018, 04:51 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Again, I thought forgiveness was granted via BELIEF in Christ and not through works (isn't prayer a type of works?)
Paul said in Romans that if one confess Christ as lord and believe in one’s heart that G-d raised him from the dead that that one will be saved...Simple and to the point...I see no praying there in those words of Paul...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity