Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 08:23 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Jesus tested him, and yes, there are countless types of tests.
He's obviously not asked you to give up your obsession with politics yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 09:15 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Testing ...one ...two ...three.

Darn microphone!

Old 09-29-2018, 09:53 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

Darn microphone!
That's funny!!

Old 09-29-2018, 09:55 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
Does this qualify?

Matthew 22
41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, 42 “What do you think about the Messiah? Whose son is he?”“The son of David,” they replied. 43 He said to them, “How is it then that David, speaking by the Spirit, calls him ‘Lord’? For he says, 44 “ ‘The Lord said to my Lord:“Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet.” ’ 45 If then David calls him ‘Lord,’ how can he be his son?” 46 No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask him any more questions.

Jesus tested them because He didn't like their teaching. Many times He used vile words against them calling them harsh names. So Jesus was no angel, so to speak.
Guess she has me on ignore!!!!

Whatcha think?

Old 09-30-2018, 07:44 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,728,570 times
The same God as in like in the old testament did it and everytime Jesus told someone or anyone anything like..." to go and in sin no more" after being healed, were some of these crying "crucify him" maybe because they went and "sinned some more" and maybe lost their healings? we don't know because it doesn't say, does it? no one walking around taking those notes of every human failure ..
I have no idea .. I have wondered.. because the rich young ruler/ Paul sure wanted to crush the christians. why because he failed the test Jesus asked of him ..
. but there sure seemed to be a whole bunch of people who were upset with Jesus on that day.. maybe they failed their test too .

like in the book of Kings I think.. there was a (?) the general of another country who had leprosy > he was told by his servants to go to Israel and Elijah did n't even come out.. Elijah sent a servant to the general and told him to wash in the Jordan 7 times .. and the man almost didn't do it , he thought he was too good to wash in that dirty river . he had cleaner rivers where he was from. but his servants begged him and he finally went and did it.. and he was NOT healed on the 1st through the 6th washing.. but only after the 7th washing was he made "like new". march around jerico.. the walls didn't fall down on the first day.. but only after 7 days and 14 trumpets.. SO everytime he told them to get water for him to turn into wine.. .. or to do this or do that .. all that was acts of "faith" on their part. your "faith" just as Abrahams was IT is going to be tested.. . how
ever He told them to do anything or something it was a test..
.. Like He tested the rich young ruler " sell all your goods and give it to the poor" That was huge for that man that he failed that test ..
. and lots and lots of things were tested of the Jews in their cultures, NO we can't know which things were tests until you know that ancient culture! like gleaning the wheat in his hands on the Sabbath> SO who was standing in judgement of him at that moment? it was their test ! ." a gentile ignorant of their laws and culture would think "why even mention that He did that to the wheat, the bible is stupid , why waste my time with such stupid things" .. "" but it was a challenge to their ideas of Sabbath! and a challenge is a test.. Jesus is full of such challenges and such tests. The winnowing wheat with his hands it was a test for all who saw him do it and made their judgments. NO we who are ignorant of his culture and ancient culture also.. would NOT be able to see how He is in every way challenging/ testing them with every record of what he says and what he was doing and the test was their response to it.. . ps a challenge of any sort is a test!
of course it was testing them.
plan to be tested .
and plan to be humbled
and plan to repent !

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 09-30-2018 at 08:15 AM..

Old 09-30-2018, 08:05 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,728,570 times
Luk 17:14

He looked at them and said, “Go show yourselves to the priests.”[fn] And as they went, they were cleansed of their leprosy.
Luk 17:16

He fell to the ground at Jesus’ feet, thanking him for what he had done. This man was a Samaritan.

Luk 17:17

Jesus asked, “Didn’t I heal ten men? Where are the other nine?

Luk 17:18

Has no one returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?”

Luk 17:19

And Jesus said to the man, “Stand up and go. Your faith has healed you.[fn]”

" Jesus said" Your faith has healed you" . what about the nine? .. did they retain their healings?
those who had no praise and who may not have ever been faithful to go to the priests and show themselves?
would some of the 9 of these have been screaming "crucify" because they failed their test, Not him?
they failed !
plan to be tested.. you are every day being tested ..
plan to fail, plan to repent...
to those who Overcome he will? give the right to the tree of life or ??????

Old 09-30-2018, 11:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Sorry, not a test in my book, n..Xuipa...just what transpired, period.
Jesus didn't set up some test for someone to fail ! Not his way of teaching.

I am not tested everyday, have no plan to fail...it is a certain mindset
that thinks this way...it is not mine.

Now, are there obstacles on my Path that make me stronger...sure, lessons for growth..
no tests.

But, if people want to think the Universe is created this way and God is testing....and probably punishing , too...I sorta give up...so be it.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:49 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Jesus didn't set up some test for someone to fail !

I am not tested everyday...it is a certain mindset that thinks God does that ...

nope He doesn't.
Now, are there obstacles on my Path that make me stronger...sure, lessons for growth..no tests.

But, if people want to think the Universe is created this way and God is testing....and probably punishing , too...I sorta give up...so be it.
Yep. Whatever gets people through their day. You’re doing what you can. You share your perspective, which is lovely in my opinion, and explain why you see God from a different vantage point. You explain, with graciousness, the issues you see in a perspective of God that includes testing and punishment.

You’re a bright light MissH and that light will be seen and appreciated by many.

Old 09-30-2018, 12:42 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,244,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Jesus didn't set up some test for someone to fail ! Not his way of teaching.

I am not tested everyday, have no plan to fail...it is a certain mindset
that thinks this way...it is not mine.

Now, are there obstacles on my Path that make me stronger...sure, lessons for growth..
no tests.

GINOLJC, to all.

A test is short term, with Long term effect. what do we mean. if I fail today tommorrow I grow stronger. so a series of test is design for one to overcome.

I have not see anyone in the bible that was perfect from the beginning, (beside God himself).

a a test is neither good nor bad, but a learning curb.

Mr. October Reggie Jackson, struck out more time than he hit home runs. so what is the measuring stick of perfection?. the Goal is to "OVERCOME".

to me, I see Good as well as Evil having their place in the economy of God. just as rich and poor, left and right. or as we speak a win and a loss. we learn from all.

scripture, Matthew 16:24 "Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Matthew 16:25 "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it.

now this,

Matthew 10:37 "He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

Matthew 10:38 "And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
Matthew 10:39 "He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

PICYJAG.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:12 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
A test has a pass-fail embedded into it...that is such a dualistic mindset...which

is exactly what I am not into....there is no up or down...no left, no right.

You guys don't get it, yet.
There is no pass or fail....geeze.
That's why I have to leave here...each in his own time, tho...
Christianity is based on dualism...separation...them and us.

Do you have any idea what is meant by, "What is the sound of one hand clapping?"
I do.
It goes beyond logic and duality.

I luv ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity