Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 08:55 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,193,098 times

Advertisements

I ask because of another thread...it looks like people think we are not to judge anything...
"This cake is bad compared to that one."
"Oooo, you're judging...that's a judgment! Oooo bad.."
See what I mean?
I see it often over the years.

Ex: "He's a bad Christian....you're judging....well, he steals from the neighbor, so he's a bad Christian!....You're still judging!!!

There is confusion over discernment, observations, preferences, opinions, choices,
likes and dislikes, perceptions, assessments....etc.

So what do you think was meant by Do not judge..
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 09:03 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,745,279 times
You have to make judgments in general ... Who are your friends... Who do you do business with... Who is doing the will of God or not...

We are not to make judgments as though we have the power to determine a person's final destiny.

Judge people like you want to be judged.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:16 PM

31,374 posts, read 19,998,334 times
Don't judge until you've walked a mile in his moccasins.

Unless, of course, you're judging fundies. They totally suck from the get-go.*

*I kid, mostly. Ish.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:43 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,157,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I ask because of another thread...it looks like people think we are not to judge anything...
See what I mean?

Ex: "He's a bad Christian....you're judging....well, he steals from the neighbor, so he's a bad Christian!....You're still judging!!!

There is confusion over discernment, observations, preferences, opinions, choices,

Thanks.
You need to have a sound mind, if you are to judge rightly.
And carry a big stick, as some people are hardheaded.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:47 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,193,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Don't judge until you've walked a mile in his moccasins.

Unless, of course, you're judging fundies. They totally suck from the get-go.*
Oh, that made me laugh.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:02 PM

4,151 posts, read 4,389,790 times
All decisions humans make at various levels are "judgement" calls though some have less 'gravity' in the earthly realm.

I considered this as Do not PRE-Judge. So when the topic was brought up once while around family I tried to explain to my nieces and nephews as this: Do Not prejudge someone you do not know well based on things you cannot verify (hearsay) nor their appearance, their manner of dress, their manner of speech etc...)

BUT, that once interacting with them to use judgement as to whether they are someone to associate with or not based on their behaviors and actions and words.

My 2 cents FWIW.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:07 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,221,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
See what I mean?

Thanks.
Good topic Miss H.

there is a Righteous Judgment, and there is an unjust Judgment. you're right in comparison for what's right.

we JUDGE by observation only. God, the Lord Jesus Judges the Heart and the Reins. Jeremiah 20:12 "But, O LORD of hosts, that triest the righteous, and seest the reins and the heart, let me see thy vengeance on them: for unto thee have I opened my cause".

Psalms 7:9 "Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end; but establish the just: for the righteous God trieth the hearts and reins".

we can make only outward judgments. we cannot read someone's heart.
example, if I haven't seen my neighbor in a few day, I want to check on them to be sure that they are ok. because you judge by not seeing them they might be hurt, or something is wrong.

but if we have the Holy Ghost we can test the spirit by the Spirit, for it is the Spirit who actually Judges.

there is a scripture Romans 14:13 "Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way".

hope that helps.

PICYJAG.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:53 PM

63,367 posts, read 39,639,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
Good topic Miss H.
there is a Righteous Judgment, and there is an unjust Judgment. you're right in comparison for what's right.
What do you think was meant by Do not judge... Exactly what it says - do NOT judge anyone for any reason least of all "righteously" because that inevitably means "self-righteously." Judging always involves some negative consequence and has nothing to do with picking friends or others you are willing to associate with.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:30 PM

3,671 posts, read 2,221,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What do you think was meant by Do not judge... Exactly what it says - do NOT judge anyone for any reason least of all "righteously" because that inevitably means "self-righteously." Judging always involves some negative consequence and has nothing to do with picking friends or others you are willing to associate with.
first thanks for the reply,

second, correct, but the bible was written for, and to the saint. and true, "righteously", for christians we are to Judge. 1 Corinthians 2:15 "But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man".

the KEYWORD here is "he that is Spiritual". meaning discerneth all things, but it's the Spirit in us who discerns all things.

that's why in the topic about giving to beggars on the street, let the Spirit prompt you to give or not, for he knows the heart. and he Judges righteously.

"but he himself is not Judge of no man, or by natural man, or a none Spirit filled man.

Agreed.

PICYJAG.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:48 PM

63,367 posts, read 39,639,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
first thanks for the reply,

second, correct, but the bible was written for, and to the saint. and true, "righteously", for Christians we are to Judge. 1 Corinthians 2:15 "But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man".
Sorry, but the "He" in that verse refers to Jesus who is the only one who is "judged of no man."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity