Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 01:12 AM

749 posts, read 481,478 times

Advertisements

One of my friends said the thing he loves best about his partner is her belief in God. He said he absolutely cannot marry someone that doesn't put faith as number one. And whenever he talks about his love for her, he always has to mention that it's for God.

I really don't know why God would want you to spend a lifetime only thinking about him. If I were a God, I would care more about how my creations treat the other creations, not just how much they pray to me and worship me. Because if God is love, he doesn't need the validation.

What good is it to live a religious life, if you cannot just live a life of your own? Why does every single thing have to revert back to religion? Is it an obsession?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 02:41 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
I suppose it is all about interpretation of god "first."

One can place god ABOVE everything in life, to the point it becomes destructive.

Or one can "focus" on god and understand (accept) that while god is "first" it has to be beneficial in all applications of one's life.

I sincerely believe that when we start acting as if everything we do must be acknowledged as god's will, including what we eat, where we live, who we vote for, the job we have, etc, we are using this as a way to avoid personal responsibility and allowing god to be the excuse for why we do stupid stuff...

This is a post from facebook by Cindy Brandt----

Growing up in evangelicalism didn't equip me to live with regret.

Because the consequences of a bad decision can always be spiritually justified by "God had a purpose for this to happen," or "you're never outside of God's will," etc. There was no category of, "you made a bad decision and now you'll have to live with the consequences of it."

And sometimes the consequence is just regret. I regret choosing that class. I regret spending a year in relationship with that boy. I regret picking that job.

Regret is an uncomfortable emotion, and living with regret is difficult, but an important life lesson for healthy development, because we all have regrets.

But that's just me living among the mortals...

Old 10-04-2018, 02:57 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
One of my friends said the thing he loves best about his partner is her belief in God. He said he absolutely cannot marry someone that doesn't put faith as number one. And whenever he talks about his love for her, he always has to mention that it's for God.

I really don't know why God would want you to spend a lifetime only thinking about him. If I were a God, I would care more about how my creations treat the other creations, not just how much they pray to me and worship me. Because if God is love, he doesn't need the validation.

What good is it to live a religious life, if you cannot just live a life of your own? Why does every single thing have to revert back to religion? Is it an obsession?
It gets back to personality types expressing a statement of belief. Define the personality type and then predict how that personality type would express theism or atheism. sick people have sick beliefs. And, like you pointed out, OCD-PD-ers are obsessive. How would a person suffering from OCD express atheism and/or theism?

I think we let OCD-ers and literalist define how we live. I don't understand how people can bring everything back to religion either. Good or bad, some people just can't think outside of the religious box. They blame religion for everything.

And we let them tell us what's "the only logical choice?" is that their fault or ours?

Old 10-04-2018, 03:10 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
When God is a loved one then people can see ..... Most Christians get married to God and their spouse ....

Old 10-04-2018, 07:15 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
I thought y'all here might like what a pastor said once, Fred Price...lol...
'Jesus said, seek the Kingdom of God first...not only."

Old 10-04-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
What good is it to live a religious life, if you cannot just live a life of your own?
Why does every single thing have to revert back to religion? Is it an obsession?
To give love to others...to be kind, generous, caring...and to be happy all around ourselves...
all that comes from a well inside us...to touch base with that inner well first, say, each morning...
fills us to be all that we want to be...a loving, patient, confident, wise, content person;
to answer your question...
It does a lot of good, it's a choice to be centered in God...or love if you are an atheist, say. Hope that helps with another perspective.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:36 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Most Christians get married to God and their spouse ....
... that's fanaticism.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:20 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
If there's a god-thing worthy of the capital G, it would be fine with someone loving family first and best.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:39 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
If loving God means nothing more than formal worship, no wonder you have problems with the idea. Pay attention to Miss H and da Zthatz, "Or one can "focus" on god and understand (accept) that while god is "first" it has to be beneficial in all applications of one's life."

OR

As 1John says, "If anyone says, 'I love God,' but hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen." Berean Study Bible

Old 10-04-2018, 10:15 AM

Putting God first is paying attention to your family. Is the op implying that
if there was a problem at home his friend might rush off to worship somewhere
and neglect the family that was in need?
Cuz, if you asked the friend I believe there would be a clarifier.

If anyone was fanatical enough that they would leave their wife in the hospital needing something...to go to a Wed night service...then, yes, I would say their was a major
imbalance.
Has the op, Einhander, seen that kind of stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity