Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 05:46 AM

1,279 posts, read 851,575 times

Advertisements

In looking at my church’s Sunday bulletin and website, it seems like at least half of the number of church events are secular. For example, my church is currently featuring several plays (performed by church members but totally secular), lectures (by an outside secular speaker and on a secular topic), social justice events (again, totally secular), a children’s “autumn festival”, book groups (for church members, but reading a secular book) and the like. Only a minority of events are “Christian”, such as youth ministry events, classes and the like.

This seems weird to me. Does your church do the same thing: having a large portion of its programs being totally secular?

I’d think that a church would focus on its niche- Christianity- and would leave the secular stuff to other groups. This also seems like unusual marketing; why compete with secular groups for secular events?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 07:41 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
Secular activities promote fellowship. They strengthen the church community. And with fellowship and a strong community, the structure exists to better worship and help those in the community struggling to worship as well.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:48 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Social justice isn't Christian? That kind of flies in the history of social justice.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:49 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
In looking at my church’s Sunday bulletin and website, it seems like at least half of the number of church events are secular. For example, my church is currently featuring several plays (performed by church members but totally secular), lectures (by an outside secular speaker and on a secular topic), social justice events (again, totally secular), a children’s “autumn festival”, book groups (for church members, but reading a secular book) and the like. Only a minority of events are “Christian”, such as youth ministry events, classes and the like.

This seems weird to me. Does your church do the same thing: having a large portion of its programs being totally secular?

I’d think that a church would focus on its niche- Christianity- and would leave the secular stuff to other groups. This also seems like unusual marketing; why compete with secular groups for secular events?
Are those truly secular though? I mean, surely your church is putting prayer into these events, and things like the autumn festival will most assuredly have "Christian" themes or booths or whatever. Just like most churches, these events may not be straight ministries, but they are certainly trying to gain more members and donations with community outreach type things. That makes those things not entirely secular. I don't think that is weird at all though, as a TON of churches do the same exact things.

My grandmothers church, for instance, has all sorts of kids events throughout the year, and usually put on some plays and invites speakers, and has a kids baseball and basketball team. The way they look at it, is getting involved in the community is better than closing themselves off to just members, secular events or not.

Old 10-23-2018, 07:49 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
Uh, oh..
Am I in trouble for fellowshipping at citydata.com?

Old 10-23-2018, 08:39 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,725,162 times
Act 2:44

Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common,
Act 4:32

Now the multitude of those who believed were of one heart and one soul; neither did anyone say that any of the things he possessed was his own, but they had all things in common.

THE EPITOMY OF HIS CHURCH'S LIFE.... COULD IT MEAN THEY SHARED EVEN FUN?

Old 10-23-2018, 08:42 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Social justice isn't Christian? That kind of flies in the history of social justice.
I agree. That's the sort of work a church should be doing, IMO.

We're a small parish, so we don't do book groups or plays or festivals or things like that.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:50 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
I belong to a large church. We have a few events that might be considered secular, but like others have said, it promotes fellowship amongst the church members and prayer and/or Bible study are often a part.

Last edited by Horn of ‘83; 10-23-2018 at 09:23 AM..

Old 10-23-2018, 09:00 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Our church does a tons of churchy stuff. Weekly youth group and classes (for kids and adults) on Sundays before the sermon, too many other weekly groups to count (ladies breakfast, men's group, etc. mostly for the retired crew). Mission trips annually (one for middle schoolers and another for high-schoolers), service projects at least once a month (e.g., provide dinner and cleaning supplies for hurricane victims, make placemats for Meals on Wheels, etc.), prayer chains, etc.

We also do purely social stuff. Sunday we have a chili cook-off and trunk-or-treat. 10 days ago we had a church picnic. In a couple of weeks the youth are going to an amusement park and overnight with another church. I'm helping plan the ladies Christmas dinner out. And we have geographic groups that are for the sole purpose of getting people together outside of church for fun stuff!

Old 10-23-2018, 09:02 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Also, if people's main community is their church, and these are secular activities that they'd like to participate in, and there's enough interest, why not do those activities with the community in which they feel most comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity