Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2018, 07:13 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Col 3:2 is one of my favorite insightful verses.
'Focus on the things above and not the things on the earth.'
Often people say in the earth, btw.
I wondered what Paul, personally, meant by above.
The above is how things should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 07:18 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
And your heart has been a pleasant reminder of what is from above youngin.
Welcome to the fold.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:58 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to be our teacher .
From the beginning God intended to be our influence ,
An influence of one's choosing .
Whom is it you choose to be your teacher , man or God ?
It makes a difference ,
God holds the answers, and man guesses at them . hence you have religion and every other atheism philosophy .

On that day, God will hold accountable those that have lied and taught with their own ideas and ways they twisted scriptures .
Man will be held to Gods standard not man's.
Jesus said Matthew 7;21,22,23, " Not every one that says to me Lord, Lord, will not the kingdom of heaven" .
If you are serious about this relationship , search what Jesus said , Desperately Seek honestly God's point of view ,ignoring men, and prove your sincerity asking for Jesus Lordship in your life . this means waiting on him for direction over the influence of men or your self. or preconceived ideas men throw around .
when I became desperate to know Gods will ,I spent an hour in the morning daily in prayer disciplined in stubbornness if you will to learn the voice of God in my life. Even though I had invited Jesus in my heart as an child I had not become desperate and transparent before God .
I cannot manipulate God and no one should dare try .
Some folk wake up sooner some later , I think depending on the rebellion they mastered previously . This is not an academic relationship but a personal one, unlike you may have had with your parents or siblings or friends .
They do not know the deep secrets of your mind the way God does, so lies even to your self are an offence that puts God at a distance . I had a problem in this area so it took some time to get straitened out . God is patient if you are pressing forward.

Jesus provided all the information you need , He said I don't do my own will, but the will of Him who sent me .
He didn't pressure the disciple to memorize scriptures ,nor did he argue them ,His only concern is their relationship with God.
And though love has a factor, the primary love is to be directed to God , and if there is love for God there is obedience to Him in in His direction one can love those God directs one to, His way. but loving man without God's direction is still rebellion ,not under Jesus lordship .

Old 10-29-2018, 02:18 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
On that day, God will hold accountable those that have lied and taught with their own
ideas and ways they twisted scriptures .
Man will be held to God's standard not man's.

Jesus said Matthew 7;21,22,23, " Not every one that says to me Lord, Lord, will not the kingdom of heaven" .
Geeze Louise, If you're going to quote Jesus get it correct! Matt 7:21-23

21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
22 Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?'
23 And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!"

A person that has their own take on a scripture (What?, different than the pastor's?) is not lying
or practicing lawlessness...
it's how they understand it. Gee whiz.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:17 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to be our teacher .
From the beginning God intended to be our influence ,
An influence of one's choosing .
Whom is it you choose to be your teacher , man or God ?
It makes a difference ,
God holds the answers, and man guesses at them . hence you have religion and every other atheism philosophy .

On that day, God will hold accountable those that have lied and taught with their own ideas and ways they twisted scriptures .
Man will be held to Gods standard not man's.
If you are serious about this relationship , search what Jesus said , Desperately Seek honestly God's point of view ,ignoring men, and prove your sincerity asking for Jesus Lordship in your life . this means waiting on him for direction over the influence of men or your self. or preconceived ideas men throw around .
when I became desperate to know Gods will ,I spent an hour in the morning daily in prayer disciplined in stubbornness if you will to learn the voice of God in my life. Even though I had invited Jesus in my heart as an child I had not become desperate and transparent before God .
I cannot manipulate God and no one should dare try .
Some folk wake up sooner some later , I think depending on the rebellion they mastered previously . This is not an academic relationship but a personal one, unlike you may have had with your parents or siblings or friends .
They do not know the deep secrets of your mind the way God does, so lies even to your self are an offence that puts God at a distance . I had a problem in this area so it took some time to get straitened out . God is patient if you are pressing forward.

Jesus provided all the information you need , He said I don't do my own will, but the will of Him who sent me .
He didn't pressure the disciple to memorize scriptures ,nor did he argue them ,His only concern is their relationship with God.
And though love has a factor, the primary love is to be directed to God , and if there is love for God there is obedience to Him in in His direction one can love those God directs one to, His way. but loving man without God's direction is still rebellion ,not under Jesus lordship .

So it is safe to assume you will not be surprised to hear those words?

Old 10-29-2018, 03:18 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Geeze Louise, If you're going to quote Jesus get it correct! Matt 7:21-23

21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
22 Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?'
23 And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!"

A person that has their own take on a scripture (What?, different than the pastor's?) is not lying
or practicing lawlessness...
it's how they understand it. Gee whiz.
MERCY, JUSTICE and HUMILITY over rules LAW and FEAR....

Old 10-29-2018, 04:19 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,953,414 times
Quote:
I mean, is there something others just do not understand, but you think you do?..
For me, it was Matthew 5:5 when Jesus promised the meek would inherit the Earth.
Jesus was referring to Psalm 37:9-11, so Jesus was Not teaching a new thought about people inheriting Earth.
Most discount that earthly promise, and only look to a heavenly reward.
So, I think people need to understand more about what Jesus is promising.
Promising ' everlasting life 'on Earth for most people right here on Earth. Only some called to Heaven.
Just as Adam was promised or offered ' everlasting life ' on Earth forever if he kept God's Law.
God's original earthly promise to be fulfilled when God's will is done on Earth as it is being done in Heaven.
In Heaven: No war, No crime, No violence, No sickness and No death, so we are praying for those same good heavenly conditions to come and exist here on Earth as they exist in Heaven.
That to me is why we are all invited to pray the invitation of Rev. 22:20 for Jesus to come !
Come and bring the healing benefits of Rev. 22:2 to Earth when mankind on Earth will see the return of the Genesis "Tree of Life" right here on Earth for the healing of earth's nations under Christ's coming 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:23 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
Thanks, Matthew 4:4

Old 10-30-2018, 06:57 PM

118 posts, read 65,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
MERCY, JUSTICE and HUMILITY over rules LAW and FEAR....

Unfortunately, mercy and justice are often at odds in Christianity. Justice is an eye for an eye, mercy on the other hand, forgives. Christians today do not know if they are Christians or Jews. Its what happens when you co-opt the Old Testament and try to have it both ways.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:03 AM

118 posts, read 65,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

Above, in this context, to me means,...higher.... Forgiveness, kindness, love, empathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity