Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2018, 09:51 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If someone tells you that he/she has something figured out about the Bible that no one else has figured out in the past 2000 years, don't believe them. They're very likely wrong.
Quote:
I've never claimed to. There are plenty of things that we can disagree about in good conscience. But there are lots of things that God has clearly defined in the Bible.
BUT when does this happen?

Joh 16:12 I have yet many things to tell you, but you are not able to bear now.
Joh 16:13 But when that One comes, the Spirit of Truth, He will guide you into all Truth, for He will not speak from Himself, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will announce the coming things to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 09:59 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
I've never claimed to. There are plenty of things that we can disagree about in good conscience. But there are lots of things that God has clearly defined in the Bible.
Are you saying you don't have it all worked out ? Simple yes or no wil work

Old 12-25-2018, 10:09 PM

3,220 posts, read 925,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
BUT when does this happen?

Joh 16:12 I have yet many things to tell you, but you are not able to bear now.
Joh 16:13 But when that One comes, the Spirit of Truth, He will guide you into all Truth, for He will not speak from Himself, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will announce the coming things to you.
"He will glorify me because He will take from what is mine and declare it to you. " (Jesus)

And didn't Jesus say that His followers would do just that in John 17?

I am the spirit of truth. Jesus was/is the spirit of truth. All the prophets were/are the spirit of truth!!!

Old 12-25-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
"He will glorify me because He will take from what is mine and declare it to you. " (Jesus)

And didn't Jesus say that His followers would do just that in John 17?

I am the spirit of truth. Jesus was/is the spirit of truth. All the prophets were/are the spirit of truth!!!
Nope, individually prophets are men

Old 12-25-2018, 11:23 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
John 16:12 I have yet many things to tell you, but you are not able to bear now.
One of my favorite verses....very profound....many layers there.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
One of my favorite verses....very profound....many layers there.
That’s what I see in the scriptures.... many layers

Old 12-26-2018, 05:59 AM

175 posts, read 75,666 times
It's not that I see things others don't see. It's that too many others see things that aren't there.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:30 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerfball View Post
it's not that i see things others don't see. It's that too many others see things that aren't there.
Lol...

Old 12-26-2018, 09:04 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
That’s what I see in the scriptures.... many layers
Yes, grave clothes, and when they are peeled back we come out of a deep sleep to awakening into his likeness, our true idenity. Lazarus come forth!

Old 12-26-2018, 10:25 AM

30 posts, read 11,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Also, I find at 1st John 1:7 B that Jesus' shed blood cleanses all, however Not all will end up accepting Jesus. That is why Matthew 20:28 says that Jesus' ransom covers 'MANY' and does Not say everyone. The wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' as per Psalm 92:7.
Jesus only comes to the rescue of those wanting to be righteous upright humble people - Psalm 72:8; Psalm 72:12-14.
Who can come to Christ? Only those the Father "drags" to Him (John 6:44). Who can come to the Father? Only those that come to Him through Christ (John 14:6). Who adds people to the "ecclessia" or "called out ones?" The Lord (Acts 2:47). Who only can be a part of this adding? Those on whom God has mercy and compassion (Rom 9:15). Does a person's own personal desire have anything to do with whom God chooses? No (Rom 9:16)! This is why Christ said His followers did not choose Him, but He chose them (John 15:16). Therefore if there are people, as you say "wanting to be righteous upright humble people" it has nothing to do with their "will" as to whether they will be chosen, but God's will. Just as Paul acknowledged (2 Cor 1:1)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Do you not understand what redemption means?
Of course I know. It means to "buy back."

Quote:
Jesus redeemed us from the penalty of sin by paying the purchase price with His death on the cross.
Why would He have to do that when the Old Covenant (OC) was perfectly capable of rendering forgiveness (Lev 4 & 5)?

Quote:
And Isaiah 53 states that the suffering servant, which is Jesus, interceded for the transgressors, bearing the sin of many, rendering Himself as a guilt offering. All of this has to do with Jesus dying for, not merely 'because' of our sins. He came into the world to go to the cross for the purpose of paying the penalty for our sins. He died in our place as our substitute.
What Isaiah 53 does not say is "Christ died to pay the price" of anyone's sin. As stated above, unless the sin was a sin unto death, the sinner could get forgiveness under the OC. Even under the New Covenant sins unto death existed (1 John 5:16).

Quote:
And again, the animal sacrifices were types or pictures of the death of Christ on the cross.
Why would an animal have to die if the sin is not unto death? And if blood shed was necessary for just any sin, why was a non-blood sacrifice acceptable (Lev 5:11)?

If Christ died to pay the price of someone else's sin He would have broken God's Law and would have become a sinner Himself (Deut 24:16).

Lets analyze this supposition of substitutional death. Did Christ not say before He died He had the power to forgive sins (Mar 2:5-10)? Before Christ died, did He not pronounce sins forgiven (Mat 9:5; Mar 2:5; Luke 5:20; 7:48)? Why didn't He have to die for those people to have their sins forgiven?

If Christ had to pay the price of His people's sins woudn't that mean they were sinners because they broke the Law of God (1 John 3:4)? Wouldn't Christ's ability to substitute for others be listed in the Law of God? Where is that listed? And wouldn't His death have to be in accordance with that same Law? Yet the Jews, themselves said it wasn't lawful for them to put Him to death even though they said He broke their Law via blasphemy (John 18:31; 19:7). So they conned the Romans into pronouncing the death penalty on Him (John 19). Christ was not tried via the Law of God.

There is no Scripture that says Christ died to pay the price for anyone's sin. If Christ had died to pay the price for anyone's, muchless everyone's, sin He would have made the Law of God of none effect, because the Law says a man can only die for His own sins (Deut 24:16). And making the Law of none effect is something He lambasted the Jews for doing (Mat 15:1-6). That would have made Him a hypocrite, which is what He called the Jews (Mat 23:13). The Law was designed to put evil out of Israel (Deut 17:2-7). Yet Christ, who was totally an innocent Lamb, would be dying for the evil person thereby leaving evil in and putting innocence out.

Another thing, most people do not consider is they think that their just desserts are either burning in hell forever or dying forever. But Christ did neither. If He did not die forever nor is in hell forever, how can He pay the price for anyone which is supposedly one of those fates?

As I understand it most people believe the death a person experiences due to sin is a spiritual death. Surely Christ didn't die spiritually, but physically. Also if His death paid the price for sin then there's nothing for His people to do. They can be as evil as their flesh desires and not have to pay the penalty for their sin because it is supposedly paid.

Of course He didn't legally die. His death was a murder and an affront to the Law. His death was "illegal" as per the Law. His death would have to have been legal to be able to die in anyone's stead since the Law required their deaths. How is being wrongly put to death pay the price of sin for anyone?

Of course He didn't legally die. His death was a murder and an affront to the Law. His death was "illegal" as per the Law. His death would have to have been legal to be able to die in anyone's stead since the Law required their deaths. But He died, not to pay the price of anyone's sin, but to redeem His people. He bought them back via His blood (Isa 52:3) by the institution of a new covenant. How could Christ's death pay the price for sins that have never been committed? How could His death pay the price of sins for anyone other than Himself?

Do you really think the kangaroo court that convicted Christ was carrying out the Law of God? If not then the death of Christ was not one of legitimacy. If it wasn't legitimate as per the Law of God then no one's sins are not directly affected by Christ's death. Do you not think your sins need to be forgiven within the framework of God's Law? Or do you think just any old murder of Christ, i.e., Christ being railroaded into death by His enemy suffices for your sins?

Was there a Godly court or otherwise held that placed the blame for your sins circa 2000 years in the future on Christ? And did that court pronounce Christ guilty for your sins? I don't think so!

The Bible is clear as to why Christ had to die:

Acts 5:31 31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

In the above verse repentance and forgivness was given to Israel only after He was seated in the power of God. If the blood of Christ was simply the forgiveness of sins, then He did not have to sit down in the power of God and repentance would not have been required."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity