Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 05:35 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,011,343 times

Advertisements

He also gives his reasons why:

Are We Becoming an Atheist Nation? 3 Reasons Young People Are Abandoning Religion | Belief | AlterNet

Quote:
These young people often conclude that they know more than the person in the pulpit and are not willing to accept the church’s rigid catechism, an educational method that teaches the religious questions and the correct answers. As an educational tool, catechism is outdated and provides no challenge to students eager to question and discuss.
Quote:
--Churches are no longer leaders in moral and ethical discussions. Young people have grown weary of churches that cannot get past issues such as homosexuality and abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 06:04 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,632,202 times
|
http://www.alternet.org/images/managed/blogteaser_thecross.jpg_310x220 (broken link)

Quote:
Chances are that if you are in your 20s or 30s, you are not hanging around a church.
Well I'm in my 40's and I'm not hanging around a church but that doesn't make me an atheist either. They think that just because people reject organized religion that it makes them atheists, how stupid. They need to look at the real reasons people are not going to church, it has nothing to do with disbelief.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
|

Well I'm in my 40's and I'm not hanging around a church but that doesn't make me an atheist either. They think that just because people reject organized religion that it makes them atheists, how stupid. They need to look at the real reasons people are not going to church, it has nothing to do with disbelief.
Well, by hard defintion of "atheist" I would say that the verdict is still out. Many people are leaving traditional Christianity for "spirituality" (whatever floats their boat) or just outright rejecting ALL religion and their various gods altogether (the atheists). All in all, it does not bode well for the churches. The new generation is equipped with far more resources and acccess to these resources that helps them debunk and reject their grandmother's religions. If Islamic nations were less intimidating to their citizens, Islam would be watching their numbers fall too.

Old 12-03-2010, 07:53 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,161,452 times
Quote:
Exactly. They are likely seeing the illogical absurdities of Christianity and organized religion and moving on to more rational and realistic belief systems, such as Deism. This will increase as more and more people become educated in the true history of Christianity and The Bible and its non-divine, plagiaristic origins.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:50 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,506,438 times
Quote:
|

From Moses on, it has always been organized religion that God used to promote his saving word.... OT Israel, NT churches (Jerusalem, the churches mentioned in Revelation, the churches that Paul established)

The purpose of a organized church ....

Unity of teaching
John 17:23
I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

Ephesians 4:3
Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

Ephesians 4:11-12
It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up
The support of other christians (which includes the financial aspect):
1 Corinthians 16:1
[ The Collection for God’s People ] Now about the collection for God’s people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do.

Ephesians 4:16
From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

2 Corinthians 11:8
I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you.

2 Timothy 4:16
At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:30 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,691,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Let's hope so. We'd be a lot better off for it, that's for sure.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:30 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,632,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
From Moses on, it has always been organized religion that God used to promote his saving word.... OT Israel, NT churches (Jerusalem, the churches mentioned in Revelation, the churches that Paul established)

The purpose of a organized church ....

Unity of teaching
John 17:23
I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

Ephesians 4:3
Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.

Ephesians 4:11-12
It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up
The support of other christians (which includes the financial aspect):
1 Corinthians 16:1
[ The Collection for God’s People ] Now about the collection for God’s people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do.

Ephesians 4:16
From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.

2 Corinthians 11:8
I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so as to serve you.

2 Timothy 4:16
At my first defense, no one came to my support, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them.

There's no written "law" that says you have to attend a church "building" to be a Christian. I don't care how many scriptures you quote. If it works for you then that's fine, I get exactly what I need through scripture, other Christians and C-D.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:50 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,940,287 times
Quote:

How does "abandoning religion" automatically equate to atheism?
This is just my personal story, but I abandoned religion and found God.

and church has nothing to do with a building.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
How does "abandoning religion" automatically equate to atheism?
This is just my personal story, but I abandoned religion and found God.

and church has nothing to do with a building.

But often the "church" can be found in the church buildings and THOSE are emptying real fast.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:14 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,940,287 times
Quote:
But often the "church" can be found in the church buildings and THOSE are emptying real fast.
To that I say...The truth shall make you free..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity