Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 11:26 PM

605 posts, read 335,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Jesus never aligned himself - or partnered with - political leaders. That speaks volumes.

On the other side of the coin, the folks who clashed with Jesus the most (the Sandhedrin, Pharisees, Saducees, etc.) all mixed high religious position with politics.

Looking at either Jesus' preference, and what he shunned, it's easy to see how we are to conduct ourselves.
You are forgetting about Apostle paul, John the Baptist, etc..There is hardly any prophets who are not defined by their active opposition to their leaders. No excuses, there is a responsibility to go much further than discuss polities in the last days. It is part of our calling in the last days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 06:33 AM

1,279 posts, read 853,049 times
The prayed-for candidate lost.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:34 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Oh, I just came here to ask.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:48 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
There IS a God!!

Old 11-10-2018, 06:18 PM

6,867 posts, read 4,866,838 times
I think it's kind of creepy.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:40 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
At church this morning, the pastor called up one member (who I'd never met before) who is apparently a very active member. The pastor mentioned that the member is running for political office, named the office, and then gave a long prayer for the member.

The pastor never said, "vote for this person" or "this person is the best"; the prayer was more like, "may God be with this person in his daily walk", and it was a prayer that could be given for any person in the congregation.

Relatives of the member's opponent also attend the church, although not that service, and the opponent does not attend the church.

This seemed strange to me; it wasn't an express endorsement, but it was still free publicity and and a clear sign that the member is "one of us", and the campaign and office were mentioned. I looked up the member's campaign website and would now vote for him.

Is the pastor's action out of line? I think so. Or of it's not out of line, it sure comes close. (The member who was prayed for is NOT a Republican--he is running against a Republican.)

What would you think if your pastor did this?
No violation of any laws by doing that. But it's not something I'd appreciate in my church.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:32 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
No, you didn't read the post.

Never did I ask if this is an IRS violation.

I did read the post.

What problem would you see if not a problem with the tax exemption 501c3 thing?

I mean, you're speaking as if some law was broken.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:08 AM

1,279 posts, read 853,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
I did read the post.

What problem would you see if not a problem with the tax exemption 501c3 thing?

I mean, you're speaking as if some law was broken.
Offending members.

Turning the pastor into someone who takes sides in non-church things and without a Biblical basis.

Wasting valuable time during a service.

Etc., etc., etc.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:17 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:

What would you think if your pastor did this?

If the religious leader of my church, synagogue, mosque or temple did this I would shop for a new place of worship asap.

Totally out of line, or should be in the U.S.A.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:28 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
If the religious leader of my church, synagogue, mosque or temple did this I would shop for a new place of worship asap.

Totally out of line, or should be in the U.S.A.
Just curious. Does that apply to both parties? I see members of one party do it all the time -- in fact, candidates will often be allowed to take the morning worship hour and speak. Personally, I find that wrong. I don't care what party or what church....I don't want my church allowing a candidate to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity