Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 02:05 PM

919 posts, read 848,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Who wants to follow a syncrestic belief-system that encompasses things like that of a false underworld, damnation and a plurality of Gods?
Which syncretic belief system are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 03:46 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
In any case, I think the OP's question was not so much "why can't I access God except through Jesus" but rather "why did Jesus say we have to go through Him"? Miss Hepburn correct me if I am wrong.
Hello cfa... See, I say you most definitely CAN access God not even knowing Jesus at all.

If this helps...I don't subscribe to the ''only thru Jesus can you connect to the the Creator of the Universe''...(that I simply call my Father, my Heavenly Father or God...)
Why? Because WAY before I was thinking of Jesus in any way...I had Divine Visitations....
that I called 'God', now having learned more I might say Visits from the Holy Spirit....cuz it was definitely God's Spirit...as in, my One and Only Father God that is Spirit...The everything.

I relate to the sentence going ''through/by him'' as ....there is no way to exp God directly
without rising to the Christ/Christed Consciousness...oh and by following his teachings precisely....(diff than what most Christians think)....but, hey,
if what they are doing is working for them and they are making direct contact with the Father by somehow invoking Jesus' name...great!!!!!!
Makes no diff to me...cuz God the Father is the Goal...as Jesus was always pointing to...

One can only ask themselves...it has nothing to do with me or what I think!

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 11-13-2018 at 04:09 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Because, historically, that's how God has treated man. He requires a priest as an intercessor.
Let me get this perfectly clear, BF...do you think you can only
access God personally thru a priest?
That is what got Meister Eckhart into his pickle with the Church in the 13th c....telling peasants
there was no need for a priest...that God was accessible to all....

Old 11-13-2018, 04:23 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Because, historically, that's how God has treated man. He requires a priest as an intercessor.
It wasn't so in the beginning. If it was implemented, it was only because if that was the only wayyou believed God can meet you, then God was ok with it. That says more about God willingness to meet you on your terms than you to meet him on his, which has always been by faith. Ask and it shall be given, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Who wants to follow a syncrestic belief-system that encompasses things like that of a false underworld, damnation and a plurality of Gods?
Quote:
Which syncretic belief system are you talking about?
On this forum, Christianism.

Although, religious beliefs have been mixed and blended together throughout time.

Last edited by Jerwade; 11-13-2018 at 04:56 PM..

Old 11-13-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
It wasn't so in the beginning. If it was implemented, it was only because if that was the only wayyou believed God can meet you, then God was ok with it.
That says more about God's willingness to meet you on your terms than you to meet him on his, which has always been by faith. Ask and it shall be given, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened.
WELL...how profound.
Yes....If I think placing red paint on my face and standing on top of a hill at Sunrise
is the way to meet God...by-golly...He will come.
Thank you for bringing that to the forefront, pcamps.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:41 PM

919 posts, read 848,279 times
Quote:
On this forum, Christianism.

Although, religious beliefs have been mixed and blended together throughout time.
I thought so but I was confused by your mention of "plurality of gods."

Assuming you are talking about the Holy Trinity, only God is God. Jesus = Son of God, Holy Spirit = holy spirit. You don't see three separate churches devoted to each one as you do in polytheistic religions (such as old Greek/Roman religions.)

Old 11-13-2018, 07:54 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Let me get this perfectly clear, BF...do you think you can only
access God personally thru a priest?
That is what got Meister Eckhart into his pickle with the Church in the 13th c....telling peasants
there was no need for a priest...that God was accessible to all....
I encourage you to read this. It explains the original temple, the holy of holies, the duties of the priest and why we no longer need a priest to speak for us.

https://www.gotquestions.org/temple-veil-torn.html

Old 11-13-2018, 11:30 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
I thought so but I was confused by your mention of "plurality of gods."

Assuming you are talking about the Holy Trinity, only God is God. Jesus = Son of God, Holy Spirit = holy spirit. You don't see three separate churches devoted to each one as you do in polytheistic religions (such as old Greek/Roman religions.)
I am not a trinitarian and have never been able to swallow the Egyptian, Greek and Roman mythologies.
Especially, when if comes to a false place of eternal damnation, or an underground of pain and suffering.

And no, neither am I a jehovah's witness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity