Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2018, 06:48 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,224 times

Advertisements

I am an officer in my church, serving one one of the church’s governing boards. We officers also are scheduled for various duties on Sunday mornings, and the church uses an online software platform to coordinate everybody. If someone can’t make it, s/he can send an announcement out to other officers, using the platform, and can seek a substitute.

Things happen: people get sick and have unexpected business trips. But some people send out announcements of why they can’t make it to church and need a substitute:

“My baseball team is scheduled for Sunday.”
“I’m moving that day to a new apartment.”
“I can’t convince my spouse to come.”
Etc., etc., etc.

Question: isn’t it odd that church officers would not attend for secular reasons like those? And isn’t it even odder that they’d be so brazen about the reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 08:02 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Life happens. Things come up. It's ok to have a conflict one can't get out of occasionally, but if that stuff is happening every time? To me, that's a question of commitment. Don't care if it's the church committee or being a member of the local volunteer fire department. If you sign up for it, you should be at the meetings.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:33 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,289 times
“My baseball team is scheduled for Sunday.”
“I’m moving that day to a new apartment.”
“I can’t convince my spouse to come.”
Etc., etc., etc.

I would hope for the baseball team, that the efforts provided there are impeccable, and that the person's presence helped them win. We need to have balanced lives and show our spirituality to those who would not otherwise meet Jesus.
I would anticipate for moving, that you can't put that off, leaving one lease and making another.
Convincing spouse - I think that is a bit brazen, but it has never altered activities for me.

I have a tendency to believe the person's priorities are right with the rest of their life and the rest of their family. I think other commitments should be weighed against what one does in the church. There have been times I've spent 10 hours or more at church (outside the worship service I attend) and it got to be tiresome and somewhat onerous. I serve on several committees and with several groups, and there are times when I believe family time is of a greater benefit than showing up to church to ring a bell, check a box, or hold forth for benevolence. As a way of getting around attendance with some meetings, we may table an issue and check in with one another by e-mail, text, or phone calls.

I am comfortable with this in the church where I am in attendance. I would ask the OP if they thought this was a delay or a non-spiritual gesture, what the OP is doing to correct it, address it, or otherwise ameliorate the distress?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity