Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 09:33 AM

1,183 posts, read 536,951 times

Advertisements

The homeless population is exploding. What are the causes and how should Christians respond? The Bible does say that God wants us to help the poor. “Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the LORD delivers him in times of trouble...”.

Hoping for the moderators allowing some leadway as the topic possibly could cross over to secular points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 10:19 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Historically, it's been Christians that build homeless shelters and operate food pantries.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:15 AM

1,279 posts, read 852,761 times
Donate (financially and with time and in-kind supplies, such as food) to homeless shelters.

Vote for politicians that promote solutions to homelessness. (This does not mean voting Democratic; it means voting for politicians of both parties who care.)

Volunteer in outreach programs, such as city-wide canvassing that helps inform the homeless of resources.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Donate (financially and with time and in-kind supplies, such as food) to homeless shelters.

Vote for politicians that promote solutions to homelessness. (This does not mean voting Democratic; it means voting for politicians of both parties who care.)

Volunteer in outreach programs, such as city-wide canvassing that helps inform the homeless of resources.
Ok. Works for today. But what about tomorrow, Next week? Next year? Can the Curch commit to take care an ever expanding group of indigents for the rest of their lives? With limited resources, where is money best used; United States, internationally or both?

Old 11-17-2018, 12:35 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Historically, it's been Christians that build homeless shelters and operate food pantries.
I think that may be true, especially when it comes to the food pantries. However, in places such as New York City that have a homeless population larger than the the population of many towns and cities and the US, the shelters are generally more likely to be run by the city itself.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:47 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Ok. Works for today. But what about tomorrow, Next week? Next year? Can the Curch commit to take care an ever expanding group of indigents for the rest of their lives? With limited resources, where is money best used; United States, internationally or both?
Although I do understand the wider need and have donated that way, I personally tend to donate to two food pantries run locally. I know who runs them, and I know that the money will go to what I gave it for.

On the other hand, when the hurricane hit Haiti two years ago, I made a donation through Episcopal Relief and Development, since I attend an Episcopal Church and they have a presence in Haiti. Since I did that, I've gotten AT LEAST monthly pleas for money from them, and it annoys me no end. I didn't give them a donation so that they could spend it on creating forms and mailings.

As far as New York City goes, where I worked for the better part of the last 40 years, I like to donate to City Harvest, which recovers food from restaurants and grocery stores and distributes it to the needy. I mean thousands of pounds of food that would end up in the garbage, which is shamefully wasteful.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:56 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,761 times
Quote:
Why don't you propose some answers?

Why are you asking if the "Curch" can "commit to take care of an ever expanding group of indigents for the rest of their lives" when (1) homelessness is often temporary and (2) I specifically state to vote for politicians who care about ending homelessness? Churches don't receive enough donations to replace a government safety net.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Why are you asking if the "Curch" can "commit to take care of an ever expanding group of indigents for the rest of their lives" when (1) homelessness is often temporary and (2) I specifically state to vote for politicians who care about ending homelessness? Churches don't receive enough donations to replace a government safety net.
I am not attacking your ideas.

Homelessness is expanding. You said vote for politicians who care about ending homelessness. How does government end this problem? Is it even moral to take more money from taxpayers to fund this huge endeaver?

Old 11-17-2018, 01:26 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
The homeless population is exploding. What are the causes and how should Christians respond? The Bible does say that God wants us to help the poor. “Blessed is he who has regard for the weak; the LORD delivers him in times of trouble...”.

Hoping for the moderators allowing some leadway as the topic possibly could cross over to secular points.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I am not attacking your ideas.

Homelessness is expanding. You said vote for politicians who care about ending homelessness. How does government end this problem? Is it even moral to take more money from taxpayers to fund this hugh endeaver?
The question might be: Why are they homeless? Because I know people who have a disability, but were denied SSDI which would have kept them from loosing their homes and given them a means to support themselves. As a matter of FACT the Social Security Administration will automatically deny all but the terminally ill or dying the first time someone applies, which can mean that of living on the streets. Once on that downhill spiral, it's difficult to climb back up. Most do not have the means to support themselves while applying two, three or four times.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:57 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Historically programs have been funded that provide for shelter like Habitat for Humanity and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity