Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:38 PM

326 posts, read 1,109,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Content_Christian View Post
Corking,

You said you burst into laughter when the pastor held his hands near your stomach. I can only assume this is "holy laughter" since it took place in a pentecostal church. If you don't mind me asking, how do you back up "holy laughter" with scripture? I'm asking in all sincerity.

Anyone who doesn't know about "holy laughter" just go to youtube and do a search for it. Several videos will come up.

I can't for the life of me figure out how this can be biblical. When you see people experiencing "holy laughter" they just look as if they've gone mad. If a nonbeliever were to walk into a church where people were displaying this "holy laughter," I think it would scare them away from Jesus NOT bring them to Him.

I went to a pentecostal church for a short period of time after leaving the Catholic church. I had a strange experience during a revival. I was told how special I was for it to happen. I, on the other hand, didn't feel right about it from the very beginning. I went home, studied the Bible, searched the Internet for help in understanding, and prayed about it. God made it clear to me that it WASN'T a biblical experience, so I high-tailed it out of that church.

Please know that I'm not attacking you. I just feel that you need to know that just because you have an "experience" in a church doesn't mean it's biblical. Be careful.
I began laughing uncontrollably and it felt so good! I don't know if you ever laughed in your dreams and it was such a funny but powerful laugh. It felt kind of like that. Try a Baptist church. They follow the bible but don't get to deep spiritually. I think you will really like it in a Baptist church. They have bible studies that you can get into. :-)

Old 04-07-2008, 09:40 PM

23,039 posts, read 34,496,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corking28 View Post
I began laughing uncontrollably and it felt so good! I don't know if you ever laughed in your dreams and it was such a funny but powerful laugh. It felt kind of like that. Try a Baptist church. They follow the bible but don't get to deep spiritually. I think you will really like it in a Baptist church. They have bible studies that you can get into. :-)
The Baptist church I go to is very deep spiritually.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:41 PM

The bible says those names that were not written in the book of Lake were thrown into an eternal Lake of fire. The bible also says in John that unless a man be born again he will NEVER enter the kmingdom of heaven. One can ONLY be born again while living. If they die before getting born again and saved they will go to hell for all eternity.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
You will never convince Shanna of that
Do you understand that Jesus doesn't take people out of hell? Sounds like the Mormon lie!

Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,699,217 times
Quote:
Not all Catholics will go to hell. The Charasmatic get born again and believe in toungues and many other things that Christians believe in. The ONLY problem is that they still venerate Mary and do many other things that are against the bible.
It does not matter how goosd of a person you are. If you reject Jesus and his holy word and never get born again and holy spirit filled you will not go to heaven.
I don't get what you're saying. You're saying a Catholic who loves Jesus goes to Hell, but a Catholic who loves Jesus and believes in tongues is saved and will go to Heaven? How is this biblical?

Corking, I was once quite a lot like you. I was a new Christian who had left the Catholic church. I spent some time in a Pentecostal church before God led me to a Baptist church. The first few years of my conversion, I thought I was just "on fire" for the Lord. And don't get me wrong, I was. It took several years for me to realize that it was more than that, though. I was holding in a lot of anger toward the Catholic church, and I used my zeal for the Lord as a way to beat them over the head with my Bible and tell them they were going to go to Hell if they didn't get out of that church and into a Bible-teaching church. I was angry because I felt I had been lied to my whole life by the Catholic church.

I've let it go now and have forgiven the Catholic church. I can still tell you what the Catholic church teaches that goes against the Bible with the best of them, but I've also learned that not everyone in the Catholic church is unsaved. There are MANY Christians in the Catholic church. How dare you or I or anyone else tell a Catholic who truly loves Jesus that he/she is going to Hell? Is that our call to make? Do we truly know if that person is saved or unsaved? Of course we don't any more than we know if you are truly saved. It's okay to teach someone what the Bible says about any particular subject, but there's a proper way to do it.

I recommend watching Way of the Master. It may even be online. I think they do the best job of teaching you the proper way to evangelize and actually be heard by the person you're speaking to.

One more thing. There are many people on this forum who are Christians and have made it clear in their posts to you. For you to respond to them with a link to get a free New Testament and telling them to read it comes off as very condescending. Just because they don't agree with everything you say doesn't mean they haven't read the Bible.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:44 PM

408 posts, read 697,400 times
This thread is interesting to say the least...

Old 04-07-2008, 09:44 PM

23,039 posts, read 34,496,037 times
Quote:
Do you understand that Jesus doesn't take people out of hell? Sounds like the Mormon lie!
Yes I understand that, I agree that hell is eternal, if you read the other thread you will see I posted a lot in there.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:49 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,699,217 times
Quote:
I'm Southern Baptist. Why would I want to be in a church that doesn't get "too deep spiritually?" Church isn't all about feeling good and self-help sermons. There's more to it than that. You need to be in a church where everyone is coming together to worship the Lord together, to partake in the Lord's supper together, and to be fed spiritually. The more spiritually deep, the better.

As far as your hold laughter, just because it felt good doesn't mean it's biblical. Please, use spiritual discernment. Be very careful. Many things happen in Pentecostal churches that "feel good," which explains why people continue to go back. ***DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT EVERY PENTECOSTAL CHURCH.*** If you're going to a Pentecostal church for a feel-good experience, you're going for the wrong reasons.

Please, pray to God in all sincerity every day till you know for sure that you're in a church where He truly wants you to be. Maybe you are; I don't know. Just be careful.

Just an FYI, my "pentecostal experience" felt good for the first half hour. Just because I didn't feel right about it doesn't mean it didn't feel good. I just thank God that I was intelligent enough to not just accept it because it felt good.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:54 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,239,642 times
Corky

God gave you one mouth two eyes and two ears, use them in the same proportion.

You version of hell is a pagan myth. Eventually you will come to understand that, if you ever bother to look deeper than your English translation.

As for the LoF and the Book of Life; Who's Name is written in it? Read slowly, the clue is in capitalisation.

Then go back to my previous post and explain to all of us here why the hell that Jesus spoke of Gehenna aka the valley of hinnom, now a beautiful park, translated hell and the other verses He spoke of referred to Hades/Sheol aka the grave aka the realm of the dead. Explain who is going to relight the eternal fires that are obviously extinguished now and how folk are to be buried in a valley in hinnom in Jerusalem if the as you put it reject Christ.

Concerning the LoF, you take it literal so I assume we shall also have a literal multi headed multi horned beast coming out of the sea together with a literal antichrist (singular) and a literal mark of the beast, literal horses, literal battle of Armageddon with all armies on horseback. If these are not literal, please then expound and show us who you infer as having error which parts of Revelation are to be taken literally and which parts symbolically allegorically and why you make such distinctions.

Please do not tell me to read the bible. I have been "saved" for 20 years and read the bible cover to cover numerous times and I have over 25 translations in English.

You condemn others and profess to be "innocent" thus I assume that you already have studied all scripture to show yourself approved and are a scholar that can help us deceived folk to understand the scriptures better.

I am blessed in your high and your testimony yet, you are not showing fruits of a Christian by condemning other folk like the RCC. I too do not hold to their traditions yet I find them far more open minded and kind as opposed to Calvinists and Armenians.

If you came out of the RCC and now slam them, you err. It is not the the baptists that got you saved, aka born-again, that was the Holy Spirit. What I see in your post is a lot of accusation and we all know who the accuser of the brethren are don't we?

My guess is you really know little of church history or have studied personally or have come to the revelation by the Holy Spirit other than a biased baptist teaching.

Answer these question, you, not your pastor, and then maybe I may change my opinion of you. If you say I am not sure, that would also be honest.

I can see from a poster's post what their doctrine is, Calvinists are the easiest to spot.

Blessings

Old 04-08-2008, 06:15 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,540,575 times
why are people saying that the Catholic church doesnot use the Bible!? of course we use the bible. where are the readings from? "a reading from the book of..." i have a Bible right in front of me --and look! it has the Books of the deciples in it--

what is your gripe with the Ctholic church exactly. maybe i can help you find an answer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.