Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 10:39 AM

496 posts, read 447,626 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been to a Bible study and how are they usually done?

I'm just wondering since I thought of trying to find one.

I used to go to a Bible study. But it was a Search for Truth (oneness Pentecostal) bible study which is published by the United Pentecostal church. To me it was just a cult indoctrination. There was no room for discussion other than, this is right because it's what the UPC says is true. It seems similar to a Jehovah Witness Bible study, in that it's assumed the person being taught knows nothing or whatever they believe is falsehood, and the teacher is correct. But in actuality the teacher only knows what the material says.

This is why I am wondering if normal Bible studies are a one way or two way discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 11:00 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,103,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post

I used to go to a Bible study. But it was a Search for Truth (oneness Pentecostal) bible study which is published by the United Pentecostal church. To me it was just a cult indoctrination. There was no room for discussion other than, this is right because it's what the UPC says is true. It seems similar to a Jehovah Witness Bible study, in that it's assumed the person being taught knows nothing or whatever they believe is falsehood, and the teacher is correct. But in actuality the teacher only knows what the material says.

This is why I am wondering if normal Bible studies are a one way or two way discussion.
Try a Torah class...

Old 02-17-2019, 11:04 AM

88,763 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Try a Torah class...
This is the Christianity forum. Would Christians would be welcome at a place that offers a "Torah class"?

Old 02-17-2019, 11:09 AM

88,763 posts, read 85,156,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post

It depends. My former priest (he retired) did a three-year study on the Old Testament. I didn't attend, but the people who did loved it. He was a scholar and brought the historical context of what they studied into the conversation.

If you are seriously looking for a more in-depth study that includes a two-way conversation and that is open to everyone's point of view, check your local Episcopal churches to see if anyone is offering the course called EFM. There is a fee to attend, and it is a four-year program, but you are not obligated to go for all four years. The first year is a study of the Old Testament, the second year the New Testament, the third year the History of Christianity, and the fourth year various aspects of how people apply Christianity to their lives.

Discussion and questioning is not only allowed, it's encouraged. Everyone brings their own unique backgrounds and perspectives into the mix.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:08 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,868,713 times
I've led hundreds of Bible studies over the years ... and have some new ones starting-up shortly. Generally it only entails getting together with a group of people who wish to study the Bible.

I prefer an expository study where everyone reads/studies the same book of the Bible and then comes together to learn and discuss it verse-by-verse. The amount of discussion (versus teaching) generally depends on the preference and Bible knowledge of each group.

In a Bible study, folks often refer to other materials (commentaries, guides or other), but, the primary focus is on the Bible. In recent years, I've noticed that many groups lean toward videos or study guides. IMO, these often digress into studies of what other people think/say about the Bible, rather than a study of the Bible itself.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:20 PM

496 posts, read 447,626 times
So you guys do Bible studies by book and verse. Interesting. Because in UPCI, the Search For Truth just does it by topic of belief and then lists a bunch of scriptures that supposedly support their belief. Some of them might be correct, others might be taken out of the context. But in general, you never really knew what the sentences around that scripture said, except that the scripture was related to the belief. Such as why women shouldn't cut their hair, or why you're supposed to speak in tongues if you're a Christian.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:35 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,426,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I've led hundreds of Bible studies over the years ... and have some new ones starting-up shortly. Generally it only entails getting together with a group of people who wish to study the Bible.

I prefer an expository study where everyone reads/studies the same book of the Bible and then comes together to learn and discuss it verse-by-verse. The amount of discussion (versus teaching) generally depends on the preference and Bible knowledge of each group.

In a Bible study, folks often refer to other materials (commentaries, guides or other), but, the primary focus is on the Bible. In recent years, I've noticed that many groups lean toward videos or study guides. IMO, these often digress into studies of what other people think/say about the Bible, rather than a study of the Bible itself.
You cannot study with a preconceived bias or you will be led down the wrong path.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:44 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,834,460 times
I’ve taught adult Bible study for years. We do books of the Bible, verse by verse, both OT and NT. We also do topical studies and video studies, using Rightnow Media. While we are all professing Christians, we welcome and encourage discussion.

Old 02-17-2019, 02:13 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,426,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I’ve taught adult Bible study for years. We do books of the Bible, verse by verse, both OT and NT. We also do topical studies and video studies, using Rightnow Media. While we are all professing Christians, we welcome and encourage discussion.
Yet, you (and a few other fundamentalists) cannot answer simple questions on this forum?

Old 02-17-2019, 06:33 PM

45,724 posts, read 27,348,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Pretty much ditto for me... except no video studies and we use a different source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

We have a book like that... I never teach the lesson from the book. I just use the Scripture scheduled and teach whatever the Lord brings forth from studying it all week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity