Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 12:23 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I always loved that show, but when I learned that Max von Sydow doesn't even believe in God, it somehow ruined it for me a little bit.
I can see how it could. Even so, it's still probably my favorite portrayal of Jesus except for perhaps The Jesus Story which is more of a documentary taken entirely from the Gospel of Luke.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Gotcha. But y’know most scholars claim that the general physical characteristics of Jews during that time and location were that of black people.
Some scholars do, but I don't know if most scholars do. Can you provide source material to support your statement that most scholars claim what you're saying?

Old 03-28-2019, 12:42 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I don’t think that was true in the Jim Crow American South. “Christians” at that time were bombing black churches, much less allowing black people join theirs.
Well, despite what you think, the fact is that LDS congregations have never been segregated. I will say, however, that at the period of time you are referring to, there were very few Black Mormons in the South.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:47 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I can see how it could. Even so, it's still probably my favorite portrayal of Jesus except for perhaps The Jesus Story which is more of a documentary taken entirely from the Gospel of Luke.
Well, I've got to admit that the scene (just before the intermission ) where Jesus raised Lazarus from the grave and people were running through the countryside sharing the news was pretty powerful. And it didn't hurt that the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus was the background music.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, I've got to admit that the scene (just before the intermission ) where Jesus raised Lazarus from the grave and people were running through the countryside sharing the news was pretty powerful. And it didn't hurt that the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's rendition of the Hallelujah Chorus was the background music.
I remember it well. Very powerful. I love the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:31 PM

23,126 posts, read 10,426,638 times
The bridegroom is white, the bride is black. The brides of Christ are all black, but do not hate us because we are black. Moses married 2 black women and the song of songs is about Solomon and a black woman, for this reason, Da Vinci painted the black bride of Christ, showing the groom to be white. I would tell anyone that was always the plan.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:11 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
It appears the op is attempting to undermine the basis of Christianity by promoting the fallacy that the superficiality of race is the only determining factor for why someone develops a personal relationship with God and his son Jesus Christ.

God is the only God of all people that accept his love, no race involved. God and Jesus are beyond the earthly limits imposed by short sighted bigots that can only see race or use it to divide people, to create confusion and hatred against each other.

God speaks to each believer in the quiet of their heart and soul, so he appears to each in the manner they find most comforting and familiar. Human colors mean nothing to the Lord of All because each person has equal value in His eyes. All are His children, his flock, and all can receive His boundless love and mercy.

To try and reduce God and Jesus to something as petty as melanin, just to try and discredit someone else's religion really shows how little the accuser knows about what Christianity is, and I find that incredibly sad.
I do hope that they find a way to truly find their way out of the darkness and to know the love and hope that belief in our Savior can bring to your soul.

I'm not a member of a congregation simply because there are people that use the wonder and power of someone's beliefs and try to twist God's Word to fit their own agenda. Christians know that the Word is clear, and should be shared in fellowship, but not used for personal gratification or a political agenda. When you are at peace and you can feel God in your heart, there are no politics, just the love God gives without limits to those that love him.
Well, I'm not saying that people embrace Christianity because Jesus is generally considered white. I am, however, saying that it seems like IF Jesus was black, many Christians would denounce or not believe him to be Jesus because of this one admittedly superficial characteristic. This is just a spin-off discussion, but the point of the OP was to ask if this was truly the case from true Christian perspectives. I'm not watering Jesus down to a skin color, but many people do. And when people say it doesn't matter, while it's true, should we never discuss it? And if not, why not?

Secondly, I was never really referring to esoteric, supernatural Jesus who lives in your heart. The entire topic was raised from a historical perspective. I'm not talking about how people perceive him as much as I am discussing the actually man who walked the earth some 2000 years ago. And if that man did not look like many Christians believe him to be, would it matter. For some, the answer was no. For others, the only response was "it doesn't matter". But that is not quite the same as saying I would still follow Jesus even if I knew the historical figure from 2000 years ago was Black. Of course this is all hypothetical, but can anyone learn anything if they do not ask questions?

Lastly, is it possible for someone to discuss race in this context without being considered a bigot?

Old 03-28-2019, 05:14 PM

I would have ZERO problem with a black Jesus and if I thought he was, I would shout it from the hills.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:37 PM

The song of songs is one person singing to himself, it is a love song between the Soul and the Spirit.

It is a love song of Solomon and a black Samaritan showing the marriage of the land of Joseph and David becoming one.

It is a love song between Judah and the rest of the world, Galilee of the Gentiles contained in the land of Joseph.

It is a love song between the two kingdoms, and the two kingdoms are the kingdom of heaven that you are.

Gentiles claim to be a bride of a Jew because that is the fact of what has always been planned where God has sent one man after the next in an effort for the whole world to marry his people.

When Jesus spoke to that Samaritan woman, he told her that she had had 5 husbands and the one she was living with was not her husband. The man she was living with, but not married to was Judah.

This is why Jesus came offering a betrothal when he sent out his disciples to the land of Joseph, land of Ephraim, the Galillee of the Gentiles.

Jesus came doing the same thing as all the others had done.

The purpose of the chosen are to be bridegrooms and friends of the bridegrooms who go out to collect many brides just as Paul did.

Abraham was such a bridegroom, and one of those 5 husbands where his purpose was to make one family out of 2, and Isaac had this same purpose, as it was also the purpose of Jacob taking brides, they were all bridegrooms to the world just as Jesus came to do in their same path.

A better question is,'' Why is the bride black?

Old 03-28-2019, 05:38 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I would have ZERO problem with a black Jesus and if I thought he was, I would shout it from the hills.
Even if he looked like Ned the wino?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfQyIWTVZDI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity