Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 06:15 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The bolded indeed shows your attitude toward women, or you would not agree with what the Bible said and "follow" it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2019, 06:34 PM

270 posts, read 110,093 times
Quote:
The bolded indeed shows your attitude toward women, or you would not agree with what the Bible said and "follow" it.
Nope. And your saying so doesn't change it. I also don't think women should be in the frontlines. That hasn't been the historically accepted practice and if our first line of defense against Russian Spetznaz is 110 pound 5' 3" women then we're <bleep>, frankly. Agreeing with the Bible comes from personal belief in its divine origins, not personal assent to every single claim, although assent to each claim comes as a result of believing in its divine origin. Christianity is not an anti-woman religion, as seen by the proliferation of women's rights and feminism inside of Christian societies. I could rewrite your sentence and apply it to you in the following way:

The bolded indeed shows your attitude to Christians, or you would not highlight my reference to the Bible as an egregious attack against women.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-28-2019 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: Read forum rule re language, please

Old 04-28-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I would rather do that than grieve the Spirit. Actually anything that is worshipped should be thrown on the same fire.There is no attack of christianity going on, just a rejection of the fundamentalist belief of what they think is christianty.
Then you don't deny you're a book burner. Thanks for being honest. Liberals burn books because they need to control people's beliefs. As a Christian, I have no interest in burning books because I am not threatened by books. I read them, even if I disagree with them and I would not even call for the desecration of another religion's holy book. We have a first amendment that protects authors and publishers and calling for the destruction of any book, unless it is publishing pedophilia or some kind of threat and incitement to crime, is to call for the repeal of the Bill of Rights, the end of elections and constitutional governance. It is a clear and present danger and amounts to an act of treason.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:41 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Grievance View Post
Nope. And your saying so doesn't change it. I also don't think women should be in the frontlines. That hasn't been the historically accepted practice and if our first line of defense against Russian Spetznaz is 110 pound 5' 3" women then we're ****ed, frankly. Agreeing with the Bible comes from personal belief in its divine origins, not personal assent to every single claim, although assent to each claim comes as a result of believing in its divine origin. Christianity is not an anti-woman religion, as seen by the proliferation of women's rights and feminism inside of Christian societies. I could rewrite your sentence and apply it to you in the following way:

The bolded indeed shows your attitude to Christians, or you would not highlight my reference to the Bible as an egregious attack against women.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. Gal 3:28

If a woman is clothed with Christ(Gal 3:27), she can teach and be anything within the body of Christ.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. Gal 3:28

If a woman is clothed with Christ(Gal 3:27), she can teach and be anything within the body of Christ.
That ignores the plain words of I Timothy, "I do not permit a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man; she is to remain quiet." Good hermeneutics say we can't take a metaphorical meaning and use it to overturn a clear and literal meaning. I don't think it is put particularly artfully but I think it is correct in saying that women should not be allowed to teach. Scriptures recognize a five-fold ministry: apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers. Pastor is virtually synonymous with teacher though not all teachers are pastors. And the Bible had female prophets and in other positions of authority, including a female judge. It was only in the area of teaching where women were prohibited because teaching is a doctrine-creating profession. It is the actual should and is of the Bible. The Bible was not anti-woman and taking that single verse to extrapolate that is wrong.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:59 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,602,134 times
This is my opinion, so I'd be interested to hear if anyone doesn't agree with me, but the worship services in the different denominations seem to be on different academic "grade levels" if that makes sense.

Evangelical (i.e. Southern Baptist, Pentecostal, independent fundamentalist) services/sermons seem like they're made for people on about a 7th grade academic level.
Methodist services seem to be on a little higher grade level than that.
In a Presbyterian service, you'd better have some college under your belt, and taken at least a theology course.
And then in a Catholic or Episcopal church, and didn't grow up in Catholic or Episcopal, here's hoping you have a Master's or PhD in theology to understand what's going on because the complex liturgy gets abstract fast!

I know this all depends on what you grew up with and are used to and varies from church to church (and probably depends on the education and socioeconomic status of the community around it), and varies from person to person, but those are my general impressions.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:00 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Grievance View Post
Nope. And your saying so doesn't change it. I also don't think women should be in the frontlines. That hasn't been the historically accepted practice and if our first line of defense against Russian Spetznaz is 110 pound 5' 3" women then we're ****ed, frankly. Agreeing with the Bible comes from personal belief in its divine origins, not personal assent to every single claim, although assent to each claim comes as a result of believing in its divine origin. Christianity is not an anti-woman religion, as seen by the proliferation of women's rights and feminism inside of Christian societies. I could rewrite your sentence and apply it to you in the following way:

Well that was quick. QED. You really nailed that one MQ.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:16 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
I didn't say it was. My point is everything written in the bible is not the inspired word of God or to be taken as such. Talking of skeptic's, the amount of posts i have seen you write over the years are nothing other than you being skeptic, have you had some kind of change of heart?.

I like what this bloke says about the bible.

“I think the Bible ought to be ceremoniously and reverently burned every Easter. We need it no more because the Spirit is with us. It’s a dangerous book. And to worship it is, of course, a far more dangerous idolatry than to bow down to images of wood and stone. Because nobody in his senses can confuse a wooden image with God. But you can very easily confuse a set of ideas with God because concepts are more rarefied and abstract. Alan Watts

When he says it is a dangerous book, i am sure he meant in the possession of the fundamentalist.
Yes, I have a much different attitude about Christianity now.

As far as Alan Watts, what he is saying is true about people like himself. But to other kinds of believers, it is exactly the written reminder than they need to do the kinds of things that Watts would like more people to do. There are more spiritually focused people who need scripture than those who don't.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:17 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Your implication that SB view women as inferior is incorrect. We view men and women as having different agencies. From the Baptist Faith & Message:

The husband and wife are of equal worth before God, since both are created in Gods image. The marriage relationship models the way God relates to his people. A husband is to love his wife as Christ loved the church. He has the God-given responsibility to provide for, to protect, and to lead his family. A wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband even as the church willingly submits to the headship of Christ. She, being in the image of God as is her husband and thus equal to him, has the God-given responsibility to respect her husband and to serve as his helper in managing the household and nurturing the next generation.
Women can't be pastors. That says it for me. Even the Assembly of God ordains women.

Old 04-28-2019, 07:21 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Women can't be pastors. That says it for me. Even the Assembly of God ordains women.
Does it bother you that Jesus chose 12 men as apostles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity