Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 07:23 PM
nng nng started this thread

695 posts, read 289,455 times

Advertisements

Okay so I grew up Mormon in Alaska ( I am not a Mormon anymore) and I would like to know about southern baptists and evangelicals in the South, specifically the Bible Belt.. Me growing up Mormon in Alaska makes me not a part of mainstream American Christianity in my opinion. I know that evangelicals and baptists make up a significant amount of American Christians, but I don't know much about them or their beliefs. I am familiar with pastors like john hagee and Joel Osteen. I would really appreciate if you all educate me on evangelicals and baptists, their beliefs etc. all I know is that evangelicals are super supportive of Israel, that's it. Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 08:46 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
Okay so I grew up Mormon in Alaska ( I am not a Mormon anymore) and I would like to know about southern baptists and evangelicals in the South, specifically the Bible Belt.. Me growing up Mormon in Alaska makes me not a part of mainstream American Christianity in my opinion. I know that evangelicals and baptists make up a significant amount of American Christians, but I don't know much about them or their beliefs. I am familiar with pastors like john hagee and Joel Osteen. I would really appreciate if you all educate me on evangelicals and baptists, their beliefs etc. all I know is that evangelicals are super supportive of Israel, that's it. Thanks for reading
Lifelong Southern Baptist here. Biblically based, original sin, salvation by grace through faith alone, baptism by immersion, trinitarian, divinity of Christ, autonomous churches.

Old 04-07-2019, 03:54 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,692,692 times
The two things in my mind that set Southern Baptists apart from some of the others in the fundamentalist set are a) once saved always saved and 2) No tongues or so called "gifts of the spirit".

Where I live there are boatloads of southern Baptists, Church of Christ and Assembly of God/Pentecostal and they really can really get into some scraps on doctrine.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:45 AM

15 posts, read 3,842 times
Default They are just Pretenders.

Most of them are NICE- but are still just Pretenders.
'Easter' is a Classic Example; they don't even BELIEVE Jesus died and was resurrected!

Old 04-19-2019, 09:05 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
It is the normal religion of the culture. They were originally free to read and interpret the Bible as individuals, which means that their doctrines were not so strict. The non-denominational churches grew out of Southern Baptist because that's the natural result of people wanting to be more accepting of other Christians, since they didn't hold such strict doctrinal beliefs. They didn't want the SBC label to define them because the SBC traditionally had more freedom of interpretation than many other churches did.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:41 PM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theQuestion View Post
Most of them are NICE- but are still just Pretenders.
'Easter' is a Classic Example; they don't even BELIEVE Jesus died and was resurrected!

You need a better source of information abut Christians beliefs. You also need to learn to distinguish between conservative theology and liberal theology. Most denominations have both called by the same name.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:55 PM

15 posts, read 3,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
You need a better source of information abut Christians beliefs. You also need to learn to distinguish between conservative theology and liberal theology. Most denominations have both called by the same name.
I don't play such absurd word games.
You either BELIEVE what Jesus said, or you DON'T.
Baptists and 'evangelicals' DON'T.

Care to TEST that?

Old 04-19-2019, 02:12 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:

Care to TEST that?
Damn, dude, you need to calm down. You come in here with zero posts, ranting and raving. Chill...

Old 04-19-2019, 02:23 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
Don't worry about everyone else.

Faith in the death and physical resurrection of Christ as described in the Scriptures is what saves you.

That's all that matters.

Old 04-19-2019, 03:03 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:

Care to TEST that?
What is your TEST for the spirit of what is attributed to Jesus? Do you use the detailed descriptions of the Holy Spirit in 1 Cor 13, Galatians 5, and the Sermon on the Mount? Or do you take everything attributed to Jesus as true without testing whether or not its spirit conforms to the Holy Spirit as revealed and demonstrated unambiguously by Jesus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity