Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 02:44 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Jeff, also all ten countries in the top ten in happiness have longer life expectancy that does the US. I think it is very narrow and false thinking trying to tie everything in life to religion or no religion. If countries with less religion than the USA have lower suicide rates, except the narrowly higher Finland then maybe less religion is not the cause of suicides. If countries that are less religious than the USA are happier than maybe having less religion does not make you more unhappy.

Note to all, I have not stated that religion leads to unhappiness and suicides, I simply am pointing out that the opposite is also not true. Nothing I would suggest leads to these countries being happier should be brought up in this forum as it would be out of place. I just am against scapegoating Wethersfield it be the Jews, immigrants, LBGT or the non religious, it never addresses the real problems and therefore never brings forward solutiins.

First, strip away the countries at the top where citizens are oppressed like Russia or live in extreme cold climates. Then you have the supposely happy countries bubbling right to the top. Beautiful Switzerland is rank way higher than the US! Sweden, Finland, France all secular countries will major suicide problems. Meanwhile in the US, as we have embraced more secular non-Christian way of life, our suicide rate has skyrocketed as well. I don't think you can write that off as mere coincidence.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...te-by-country/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 03:31 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Default Why post-Christian America will be a meaner, unhappier place

Some people simply do not find mere existence as a composite of physical and chemical processes to be worth the effort given the vicissitudes that can be entailed.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:51 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Once again, I'll point out that the countries that rank high on the "happy" scale also have some of the highest levels of suicide rate. Perhaps they found a way to eliminate many social problems like homeless, but doesn't sound like they are truly mentally happy.
You seem to have an obsession with suicide rates. Maybe you should broaden your reading horizons.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:01 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
And werent the first settlers Deists, not Christians?
The first English settlers were, by and large, Calvinists, not Deists. And many were only nominally religious or of varying faiths from Catholic to Presbyterian, even some Jews settled America in the 17th century (even the very late 16th century at Jamestown.)

Most of the 'founding fathers', wealthy and educated men, were indeed, Deists, though.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:06 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You seem to have an obsession with suicide rates. Maybe you should broaden your reading horizons.
So you don't like the facts and you have to resort with the whole obsession comeback. Typical and inappropriate.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:11 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:
First, strip away the countries at the top where citizens are oppressed like Russia or live in extreme cold climates. Then you have the supposely happy countries bubbling right to the top. Beautiful Switzerland is rank way higher than the US! Sweden, Finland, France all secular countries will major suicide problems. Meanwhile in the US, as we have embraced more secular non-Christian way of life, our suicide rate has skyrocketed as well. I don't think you can write that off as mere coincidence.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...te-by-country/
No idea what to mean. I used the top ten happiest countries and used their suicide rates comparing it to the USA in happiness and suicide rstes. Russia is not high in the happiness scale, no idea why you would bring it up in this discussion unless just to run it off the rails. Most and almost all the countries that are in the top ten in happy have LOWER suicide rates. This clearly shows that being less religious nations can be both happier and have lower suicide rates. For you to claim otherwise or to claim that the increase rates of suicides or the OP claiming less religion makes people less happy goes straight against all the evidence.

Canada, New Zealand and Australia are less religious,lower suicide rates, longer life expectancy and are happier. How can you dismiss that? France is not in the top ten in happiness.

Can you think of anything other than amount of religion that the top ten have in common compared to the States? There are some things but I'll let you think about that. So far we have the top ten happiest countries are all less religious than the USA and none of the articles you have linked referred to lack of religion for suicides. I am done debating this topic until you actually have some evidence for you claims. Sorry but you do not know more than those who study or even report on suicide, just your personal bias.

You keep harping on suicide rates but constantly ignoring what the experts say are the reasons for that or you are using suicides to promote your agenda. .

Old 04-15-2019, 05:22 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,729,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Has it occurred to you that many of them are doctor-assisted in the cases of terminal illnesses? Not every suicide is because someone is depressed.

Grow up.
so now you are suggesting that the civilized nations get more cancer and terminal illnessess . what from the pollution? and toxins? and fake food AND PESTICDE LACED FOODS we eat, ALL PRODUCTS OF OUR SCIENCES?
maybe all that fake stuff is some OF THE cause OF some of the depression AND SUICIDE also. AN MAYBE ALL THAT DEPRESSION ISN'T ABOUT THE CHURCHES AT ALL..
yes pump and manful of hormone-laced AND PESTICIDE LACED milk and MILK PRODUCTS TO MAKE COWS MILK MORE .. JUST FOR STARTERS! ... well the out come can't be great either. AND TO THINK THAT SOME OF THOSE ISSUES THAT COULD BE HAPPENING FROM OUR TOXIC FOODS IS BLAMED ON GOD
"BECAUSE GOD MADE ME THIS WAY " >. NO MAYBE HORMON LACED FOODS CREATED BY SCIENCE DID THAT ..

Old 04-15-2019, 05:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
so now you are suggesting that the civilized nations get more cancer and terminal illnessess . what from the pollution? and toxins? and fake food PESTICDE LACED FOOD we eat, PRODUCTS OF OUR SCIENCES?
maybe all that fake stuff is some OF THE cause some of the depression also.. yes pump and manful of hormone-laced milk and MILK PRODUCTS JUST FOR STARTERS... ... well the out come can't be great either.
As always, I hope you feel better soon.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:28 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
So you don't like the facts and you have to resort with the whole obsession comeback. Typical and inappropriate.
It wasn't a comeback. It was an observation. It was certainly appropriate, considering how many times you have mentioned it and how many things you have blamed for suicides. I have no idea if it is typical. It's just an observation I made.

I don't know what the facts are, but I doubt that you do either. You have mentioned suicide rates in relation to atheism, homosexuality, and the rise of nonreligious people in America. I seriously doubt they are all right.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:42 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,729,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
to atheism, homosexuality, and the rise of nonreligious people in America. I
BUT THESE "choices "ARE All assocated to liberals or like progressives to be polite in mixed company , so you say they are not connected ?
throw into that mix.. of liberal and who believe in bad sceince and bad drugs, over or under the counter .. then they are blaming God for all of these failures .. and we all have a toxic mess! and it has nothing to do with God or his churches who are try to pick up the peices of lives from all these failures of all society " choices" .... so maybe the hopelessness of men and the suicide rates is about lots of bad breaks and poor man-agement.

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 04-15-2019 at 05:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity