Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 11:37 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I was just basically smacked around and insulted in another thread for asking very sincere questions about the effectiveness of prayer. I have admitted elsewhere that am a humble agnostic (meaning I Do Not Know, not to be confused with a militant atheist), after decades of being a fundamentalist Christian.

So this "beating" I just got in another thread reminded me of something that was frequently said in my old fundie church, which was that correct doctrine was more important than love. "Any time you've got a church focusing on love and unity," the pastor would say, "you've got a church that doesn't care about correct doctrine."

And I went along with that kind of thinking at the time, though now I have no idea why.

I definitely see that kind of attitude here. Maybe not those exact words, but definitely the attitude.

I started reading and posting in the R&S and Christianity forums recently, because I'm realizing that I miss many aspects of being involved in a church. I'm questioning a lot of things right now, but in a seeking sort of way. And while some posters have been welcoming and kind, others have been ugly, self-righteous, and have metaphorically spit on me.

Isn't Christianity supposed to be primarily a religion of love? Or could those of you "spitting on me" explain why it is not?

Oops, meant to post this in the Christianity forum. Could a mod please move it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 11:48 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Since you ask,they might oblige,but I think it's fine, here where anyone can input and not just the denizens of Christianity Forum will get to see it.

I don't mean to peddle a Church but have you considered U/U?

Old 05-03-2019, 11:55 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
The first rule of responsible Journalism is: Always consider the source.

The person who gave you the beatdown is well known among the regulars as a phoney who only likes to agitate. Few people read his posts and respond to him anymore. I recommend you do likewise.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:01 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Ok, so I was just basically smacked around and insulted in another thread for asking very sincere questions about the effectiveness of prayer. I have admitted elsewhere that am a humble agnostic (meaning I Do Not Know, not to be confused with a militant atheist), after decades of being a fundamentalist Christian.

So this "beating" I just got in another thread reminded me of something that was frequently said in my old fundie church, which was that correct doctrine was more important than love. "Any time you've got a church focusing on love and unity," the pastor would say, "you've got a church that doesn't care about correct doctrine."

And I went along with that kind of thinking at the time, though now I have no idea why.

I definitely see that kind of attitude here. Maybe not those exact words, but definitely the attitude.

I started reading and posting in the R&S and Christianity forums recently, because I'm realizing that I miss many aspects of being involved in a church. I'm questioning a lot of things right now, but in a seeking sort of way. And while some posters have been welcoming and kind, others have been ugly, self-righteous, and have metaphorically spit on me.

Isn't Christianity supposed to be primarily a religion of love? Or could those of you "spitting on me" explain why it is not?

Old 05-03-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The first rule of responsible Journalism is: Always consider the source.

The person who gave you the beatdown is well known among the regulars as a phoney who only likes to agitate. Few people read his posts and respond to him anymore. I recommend you do likewise.
Thanks for the warning/explanation. The attitude felt so familiar, from my past experiences, I assumed he was being genuine.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:04 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

Wow. I have never heard of a pastor actually saying that out loud, although of course we see this all the time on this forum, and it is a bone of contention between liberal believers and fundamentalists.

I would never again attend a church that took the stance of your former pastor. As a matter of fact, we used to tease our priest who retired last year that he had only one sermon: No matter what the subject, it always boiled down to "and this is why we have to remember that our focus must be to love God and love our neighbor, and we show love to God by loving our neighbor." I for one truly believe that's the only Christian message that matters.

Quote:

Did.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Since you ask,they might oblige,but I think it's fine, here where anyone can input and not just the denizens of Christianity Forum will get to see it.

I don't mean to peddle a Church but have you considered U/U?
Ok, if it's not out of place here in the general R&S forum, that's fine.

I'd kinda forgotten about UU. I just googled, and there is actually one that meets here on the little island where I'm currently living, but only twice a month here from Oct to May. Maybe I can check them out before they break for the summer.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wow. I have never heard of a pastor actually saying that out loud, although of course we see this all the time on this forum, and it is a bone of contention between liberal believers and fundamentalists.

I would never again attend a church that took the stance of your former pastor. As a matter of fact, we used to tease our priest who retired last year that he had only one sermon: No matter what the subject, it always boiled down to "and this is why we have to remember that our focus must be to love God and love our neighbor, and we show love to God by loving our neighbor." I for one truly believe that's the only Christian message that matters.

Did.
Hard to believe isn't it? He said it frequently. But of course, our church was the only one in town (probably in the world) that had the "correct doctrine." Sermons often included bashing various other churches' teachings.

If all that effort had been spent encouraging us to go out and do good in our community, can you imagine the results? Oh, nope, I just remembered, our church also didn't waste its time in things like having a food bank because it doesn't do any good to feed someone if their soul is going to hell anyway. Yep, another common sermon point. I'm ashamed to even admit I was ever a part of such an organization.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:28 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
It’s important for people to know God loves them and desires to have a relationship with them. On the other hand, people need to know what Jesus did for them and why (doctrine). People who are curious should read the gospels and the book of Romans and speak with a pastor or Christian friend.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:30 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Hard to believe isn't it? He said it frequently. But of course, our church was the only one in town (probably in the world) that had the "correct doctrine." Sermons often included bashing various other churches' teachings.

If all that effort had been spent encouraging us to go out and do good in our community, can you imagine the results? Oh, nope, I just remembered, our church also didn't waste its time in things like having a food bank because it doesn't do any good to feed someone if their soul is going to hell anyway. Yep, another common sermon point. I'm ashamed to even admit I was ever a part of such an organization.
Well, as the saying goes, you won't try to escape from a dungeon until you realize you're in one. You're not the only one on this forum who found your way out of such a dungeon. There are a number of other regular posters who are recovering from such a background, and if you stick around, you're likely to meet them. Some gave up religious affiliations altogether, some found communities whose outlook rang true to what they thought.

The up side is that people like you can serve to encourage lurkers and others on the fence who know there is something not right with what they are hearing. It can be difficult to question that which you have always been told is the only right way.

The church I grew up in sent a lot of money to foreign missionaries because they believed first and foremost that translating the Bible into every language was the most important thing for a Christian to do. Meanwhile, we were ten miles from extreme poverty that no one ever mentioned.

The Mighty Queen believes that everyone should be fed, no exception. Crazy, criminal, you name it. We have more than enough to go around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity