Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:58 AM

317 posts, read 496,435 times

Advertisements

I am hoping that someone can help me resolve an issue that I've been struggling with for most of my life. It seems like my fear of going to hell is my primary motivation for being a Christian. Throughout my life I have attended church, read the bible, repented my sins, and said thousands of prayers, but I don't remember any of my prayers ever being answered, and I've never felt the presence of Jesus in my life. So even though it may be easy for me to say the words "I love Jesus, and I accept him as my Lord and Savior", I feel that saying those words might not be sincere, and I am only saying those words in hopes that I don't go to hell. So therefore, I question whether or not I am truly saved. I want to love Jesus because he is lovable, rather than forcing myself to love him based on my fear of going to hell. But how can I truly love Jesus if he never answers my prayers and never reveals himself to me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 08:25 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
No. I'm an Episcopalian. My faith is based on a love of God, buoyed by the Nicene Creed. It is about trying to always fully understand God's intentions for me and the world and trying to act, however imperfectly, on those desires by living a life in Christ through faith, not fear. It is not fire insurance for me. Nor should it be for anyone.

If you feel driven to church for fear that you'll be roasted on a spit in hell, perhaps you need to know that there are different approaches to the faith that are based on the notions of grace and love.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:33 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Christians invented hell. But then they invented a get-out-of-hell-free card by saying those magic words to Jesus.

OP, if hell doesn't exist (and it doesn't) you have no worries.

If hell does exist, you've said the magic words, so you have no worries.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:12 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
I am hoping that someone can help me resolve an issue that I've been struggling with for most of my life. It seems like my fear of going to hell is my primary motivation for being a Christian. Throughout my life I have attended church, read the bible, repented my sins, and said thousands of prayers, but I don't remember any of my prayers ever being answered, and I've never felt the presence of Jesus in my life. So even though it may be easy for me to say the words "I love Jesus, and I accept him as my Lord and Savior", I feel that saying those words might not be sincere, and I am only saying those words in hopes that I don't go to hell. So therefore, I question whether or not I am truly saved. I want to love Jesus because he is lovable, rather than forcing myself to love him based on my fear of going to hell. But how can I truly love Jesus if he never answers my prayers and never reveals himself to me?
The question that is relevant is, do you believe, truly believe that Jesus died for your sins and that he rose again? If you believe that, and as a result have trusted in him for salvation then you are saved. Only you and God know if you actually believe that or if you are just saying the words. The issue in eternal salvation is not whether you love God. That's something that comes with spiritual growth. The only issue is whether you believe that Jesus died for your sins and rose again and as a result have placed your faith in Him.

The gospel message is simple and clear. For God so loved the world, that He gave His unique Son, that whoever believes on Him will not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16). Jesus said, ''For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.'' (John 6:40)

So if you have at any time in your life believed in Christ, have trusted in Him for eternal salvation then you are saved and cannot lose your salvation.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:36 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,030 times
Quote:
Unripened my friend, that is all. Seek and ye shall find. Your asking the right questions but wait until you DO feel the presence. Each in their own time. Your better off dismissing the believe like I believe and you will be ok crowd too. Parrots. Imagine, God with His knee pushed down on our throats...you believe now big shot don't you!

Old 05-08-2019, 10:39 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,606,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
Unripened my friend, that is all. Seek and ye shall find. Your asking the right questions but wait until you DO feel the presence. Each in their own time. Your better off dismissing the believe like I believe and you will be ok crowd too. Parrots. Imagine, God with His knee pushed down on our throats...you believe now big shot don't you!
Uhhhh.... What?

Old 05-08-2019, 10:42 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
...it may be easy for me to say the words "I love Jesus, and I accept him as my Lord and Savior", I feel that saying those words might not be sincere, and I am only saying those words in hopes that I don't go to hell.
Fair enough....why not say something more honest:
"Jesus I have never felt you or met you....
but if you are all the things they say you are...I sure love
what you are/were and how you inspired us with your examples of love...
I hope I meet you one day."

("And you know what? I'm going to sit in stillness on a reg basis like Psalm 46:10...and make
a quiet place for you to actually visit me!")

''....knee pushed down on our throats..." WHAT the....

Old 05-08-2019, 10:46 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
And how can one truly love Jesus if one believes he is responsible for the majority of people being tormented for eternity with no hope of reprieve, including you if you don't love him? It's like someone you date saying, love me or I'm going to lock you up and torture you for as long as you live. Could you ever love that person?

Old 05-08-2019, 11:12 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
If you believe you are saved from it, without a doubt. If you believe the teachings of Jesus lead to the way of life then no.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:15 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Again, the Bible never makes loving God a requirement for eternal salvation. There is one Biblically stated requirement - BELIEVE in Jesus Christ which means, not to recognize that he exists, but that he died for our sins and rose again, with the result that you simply trust in him for salvation.

The development of love for God comes with spiritual growth after having been saved by grace through faith in Jesus. Works, commandment keeping, loving God and neighbor are things which are a part of the believer's spiritual life after salvation but are never a requirement for receiving eternal salvation from the penalty of sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity