Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2019, 08:42 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Yes, because he comes down and visits this one particular person, and helps them out. Screw all those millions (billions?) of people who actually need his help, huh?

No, I have considered a great many things throughout my life. An all powerful God playing around with his creation on a daily basis? Not one I am going to concern myself with. If God was in control of the situation, he could have just stopped it to begin with. No reason to concern himself with giving people visions.

Yes, this is just me, a mere mortal speaking, and you can say "it's God's will" or whatever you want. Won't stop me from pointing out how silly it is.

Note: I am not talking God belief or anything of the sort when I say "silly". I am talking of the person who believes God sent a message to them and intervened to keep them safe, while allowing millions of people (likely hundreds of thousands within a few miles of where it took place) to die horribly, starve, be raped/abused, etc. But he took the time to come down and show them something cool and keep them from getting into a wreck, praise Jesus. In your scenario, he also caused the wreck though, so.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 08:45 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Again, I will pray for His perfect will to be done, PERIOD, and that includes over whole nations. Not talking about large groups here, but let's say YOU want to pray for someone to be healed of x,y,z at that exact moment and you have the faith to move mountains and it is so. BUT, without consulting Him on the matter, you just increased their bonds for any number of possible reasons, like 1) they have not repented of what brought the sickness in the first place and so they will end up even worse off when they reap it again, 2) it's not His timing, because ALL THINGS work together for good for those that love the Lord, which also can mean, that they needed a bit more time to learn and glean from whatever state they found themselves in.

I mentioned this I think once in posts on healing, but I once was led to pray for a church elder. I did not know him, saw him occasionally in the maybe 6 times I ever visited that church. The Lord literally read his mail he said, because for 1 hour all He did was heal various issues he had. Then He showed me the spirit of nicotine in his lungs. I didn't even know first hand that he smoked. I did as I normally would when shown something, I started to command it out and into His fire. Just then, the Lord said, "NO! Tell him I delivered him of this twice already and twice he took it back. THIS TIME, he's going to have to come to me in fasting and prayer to get it out!"

I was stunned; this was the first time He had ever shown me something, but told me NOT to cast it out. I never assumed again. The man, confirmed what He had said, and only wanted to know how long he had to fast.

We are not G-d. We must always be submitted to His perfect will in all things. He has a plan and we need to get on board with it, not try to be G-d ourselves and insist that we know better. If the last 6000 years has proved anything, it's that we DON'T know better. Blessings...
This sounds more like a cop-out or excuse.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:15 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Again, I will pray for His perfect will to be done, PERIOD, and that includes over whole nations. Not talking about large groups here, but let's say YOU want to pray for someone to be healed of x,y,z at that exact moment and you have the faith to move mountains and it is so. BUT, without consulting Him on the matter, you just increased their bonds for any number of possible reasons, like 1) they have not repented of what brought the sickness in the first place and so they will end up even worse off when they reap it again, 2) it's not His timing, because ALL THINGS work together for good for those that love the Lord, which also can mean, that they needed a bit more time to learn and glean from whatever state they found themselves in.

I mentioned this I think once in posts on healing, but I once was led to pray for a church elder. I did not know him, saw him occasionally in the maybe 6 times I ever visited that church. The Lord literally read his mail he said, because for 1 hour all He did was heal various issues he had. Then He showed me the spirit of nicotine in his lungs. I didn't even know first hand that he smoked. I did as I normally would when shown something, I started to command it out and into His fire. Just then, the Lord said, "NO! Tell him I delivered him of this twice already and twice he took it back. THIS TIME, he's going to have to come to me in fasting and prayer to get it out!"

I was stunned; this was the first time He had ever shown me something, but told me NOT to cast it out. I never assumed again. The man, confirmed what He had said, and only wanted to know how long he had to fast.

We are not G-d. We must always be submitted to His perfect will in all things. He has a plan and we need to get on board with it, not try to be G-d ourselves and insist that we know better. If the last 6000 years has proved anything, it's that we DON'T know better. Blessings...
Why would you need to pray for God's will to be done? Will God do something against His own will otherwise?

Old 06-18-2019, 12:16 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
This sounds more like a cop-out or excuse.
Yes, it certainly does.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:27 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Why would you need to pray for God's will to be done?
Will God do something against His own will otherwise?
That's a good point for discussion ...and it is still on topic regarding miracles. Prayer can be a confusing subject...
and there are many types of prayer.*

It is a something to be studied to be understood.
This is just my take:
One thing that I 'think' many that pray know or should, ha...is God's Will is always for the good..or the best for us.
(I understand that is not a given for many, ...but that would be incorrect. Rem I'm not a 'wrathful, murdering God' believer, nor a Christian, so Old Testament or Rev. verses brought up here do nothing for 'me'. But, I do respect Jesus 100%...to explain.)

Jesus said he did not do that which wasn't the Will of his Father...said he came for us to have abundant lives. John 10:10 It was clear healing everyone
far and near that came to him for that, rejecting no one...fed them, haha, even fixed ears, etc.
God is a Provider...everything is here on the planet.

(God supplies us SO ridiculously He puts 2 little people 'Adam and Eve' on earth and look at
the amount of oxygen he surrounds the planet with ...2 teeny pair of lungs, ha...God thinks big....very very abundantly BIG.) I digressed.

Let's see, God as a Provider...His Will..
However, the fly in the ointment is Man's free will...Man, as a whole, doesn't make sure everyone is fed.
Asking for God's Will to be done is like saying...
"Lord, please influence these lugheads to open to your Will.. that being -
for all of us to live in wonderful harmony and abundance on every level."
But remember, we are not robots or puppets...we have to open to God's Will and His Kingdom ourselves. The Catch 22. Oy, the Cosmic Dance continues.

* Some examples of diff prayer-
You can reference these verses..
Intercessory prayer Eph 1:15-
Prayer of praise or worship- too many verses to mention- Phil 4:6, a good one
Prayer of agreement Matt 18:19
Prayer of faith /petitioning prayer Mark 11:24
And there are more types.

And Jesus instructed don't pray to him;
pray to the Father in his name.-John 14:12- We do that now that Jesus is gone...pray in his name.
Like Peter did,' ..in the name of Jesus of Nazareth, rise up and walk.'...see the subtle difference?
In Acts 3 He didn't ask Jesus...you ask in Jesus' name, I repeat...many Christians don't even know this...and get disappointed and lose their faith.. bla bla...

So many pray with no results, do not believe in 'miraculous' healings, etc..well, ya gotta use the correct Method(s). Then things that seem like miracles do happen. They actually do.
Then, there's the issue
of having NO doubt. A whole OTHER issue!

Old 06-18-2019, 07:30 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
(God supplies us SO ridiculously He puts 2 little people 'Adam and Eve' on earth and look at
the amount of oxygen he surrounds the planet with ...2 teeny pair of lungs, ha...God thinks big....very very abundantly BIG.) I digressed.
Yeah, but trouble with that, Miss Hep, is that God put the Amazon River Basin on the planet to keep us stoked with oxygen...but Adam and Eve's kids are chopping it down.

I digressed, too.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yeah, but trouble with that, Miss Hep, is that God put the Amazon River Basin on the planet to keep us stoked with oxygen...but Adam and Eve's kids are chopping it down.

I digressed, too.
LOL I know it's the fly in the proverbial soup...Man.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:01 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Why would you need to pray for God's will to be done? Will God do something against His own will otherwise?
This one always cracked me up too. "Thy will be done." Like, a god-thing needs our permission/blessing to do its thing?

Old 06-18-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
This one always cracked me up too. "Thy will be done." Like, a god-thing needs our permission/blessing to do its thing?
Ha...as most know, prayer is for us...
it's used as an alignment or a 'tuning into' God....it is a focusing tool.
It's for our benefit.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:28 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,038,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Yes, because he comes down and visits this one particular person, and helps them out. Screw all those millions (billions?) of people who actually need his help, huh?

No, I have considered a great many things throughout my life. An all powerful God playing around with his creation on a daily basis? Not one I am going to concern myself with. If God was in control of the situation, he could have just stopped it to begin with. No reason to concern himself with giving people visions.

Yes, this is just me, a mere mortal speaking, and you can say "it's God's will" or whatever you want. Won't stop me from pointing out how silly it is.

Note: I am not talking God belief or anything of the sort when I say "silly". I am talking of the person who believes God sent a message to them and intervened to keep them safe, while allowing millions of people (likely hundreds of thousands within a few miles of where it took place) to die horribly, starve, be raped/abused, etc. But he took the time to come down and show them something cool and keep them from getting into a wreck, praise Jesus. In your scenario, he also caused the wreck though, so.....

It's so hard to grasp the concepts of grace and election, obedience and rebellion, favor and His perfect will, when you are on the outside looking in, I know. Everyone by nature either consciously or unconsciously until He begins to reveal Himself, wants to make Him into their own image, instead of the other way around, but it never works. That's just the nature of the beast. Blessings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity