Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 06:36 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,008,549 times

Advertisements

What does the Bible say about work?

“Have you seen a man skillful at his work? He will stand before kings; he will not stand before common men.” Proverbs 22:29

“Let the one who steals steal no more; rather, let him do hard work, doing good work with his hands, so that he may have something to share with someone in need.” Ephesians 4:28

“Everyone should eat and drink and find enjoyment for all his hard work. It is the gift of God.” Ecclesiastes 3:13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2020, 06:52 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times

It says, what men say (written or spoken).

Old 03-06-2020, 06:53 AM

1,196 posts, read 754,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post

“Have you seen a man skillful at his work? He will stand before kings; he will not stand before common men.” Proverbs 22:29

“Let the one who steals steal no more; rather, let him do hard work, doing good work with his hands, so that he may have something to share with someone in need.” Ephesians 4:28

“Everyone should eat and drink and find enjoyment for all his hard work. It is the gift of God.” Ecclesiastes 3:13
are you referring to actual physical work, or Spiritual work?

Old 03-06-2020, 08:41 AM

16,679 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
are you referring to actual physical work, or Spiritual work?
That is precisely why people should say something more that just quote some Bible verses. Say why you posted them. Ask what they mean. Question how you reconcile some. Listing some Bible verses may not generate much of a discussion.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:49 AM

33,267 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:

I'm retired.

Old 03-06-2020, 10:04 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
2 Thes. 3:9-11 has something to say in this matter: "…9Not that we lack this right, but we wanted to offer ourselves as an example for you to imitate. 10For even while we were with you, we gave you this command: “If anyone is unwilling to work, he shall not eat.” 11Yet we hear that some of you are leading undisciplined lives and accomplishing nothing but being busybodies.

This applies to both worldly work (as indicated in 3:11), but, also to Spiritual or Kingdom work is worthy of its wages (1 Tim 5:18, Luke 10:7 and Matthew 10:10).

I'm also 10-years retired (from worldly work, but, not from Kingdom work!)

Old 03-06-2020, 11:07 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I'm retired.
The same here, although I am building a business or two for my children.
While taking care of some personal/family issues that need addressing.

And has brought me to the United Kingdom (UK) at this moment in time.

Old 03-08-2020, 05:50 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The same here, although I am building a business or two for my children.
While taking care of some personal/family issues that need addressing.
And has brought me to the United Kingdom (UK) at this moment in time.
...and even the ' spiritual ' work of Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 is also being done in the UK (Loved visiting London in 1972)
I found some people being 'spiritually void ' ( and to me because of corrupted Christendom - so called Christians )
We are to be caregivers of family and secular work and also do the 'spiritual ' work of telling others about God's kingdom of Daniel 2:44 being the solution to today's growing problems.

Old 03-08-2020, 05:56 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It says, what men say (written or spoken).
Last time I looked around it was only men who write and speak so then of course the Bible was penned by men.
However, those men were in the position of being God's personal secretary.
In other words, they wrote down God's inspired thoughts or words - 2nd Timothy 3:16-17.
This is why we see the internal harmony among the many Bible writers throughout the centuries.
This is why we can also see what we can really learn from the Bible by looking at one subject or one topic at a time.

Old 03-08-2020, 11:22 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,719,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Last time I looked around it was only men who write and speak so then of course the Bible was penned by men.
In other words, they wrote down God's inspired thoughts or words - 2nd Timothy 3:16-17.
This is why we see the internal harmony among the many Bible writers throughout the centuries.
This is why we can also see what we can really learn from the Bible by looking at one subject or one topic at a time.
Quote:
Fundmentalist idolatry of the Bible.

Quote:
Here are just a few contradictions by biblical writers who were inspired "different" from each other:

"No man with crushed or severed genitals may enter the assembly of the LORD" Deuteronomy 23:1
followed centuries later by:
For this is what the LORD says: “To the eunuchs who keep My Sabbaths, who choose what pleases Me and hold fast to My covenant—I will give them, in My house and within My walls, a memorial and a name better than that of sons and daughters. I will give them an everlasting name that will not be cut off." Isaiah 56:4-5

"The LORD is long-suffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the sons to the third and fourth generation." Numbers 14: 18 (also found in Exodus 34:7)
followed a few centuries later by:
"The person who sins will die. The son will not bear the punishment for the father's iniquity, nor will the father bear the punishment for the son's iniquity; the righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself." Ezekiel 18:20

“God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?” Numbers 23:19
On the other hand there is this: “And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.” Exodus 32:14

“Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months. And his mother’s name was Nehushta, the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem.” 2 Kings 24:8
But Chronicles has different "facts:"
“Jehoiachin was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned three months and ten days in Jerusalem: and he did that which was evil in the sight of the Lord.” Chronicles 36:9

“And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.,” 2 Kings 2:11
But Jesus wasn't aware of this because He reports centuries later:
“And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.”

Now we're all positive you can "explain" it away. But since you refuse to accept explanations when it comes to homosexuality and a wide variety of "liberal" views, you're stuck with what the Bible says, plain and simple. And the god you worship was certainly mixed up and couldn't dictate to his personal secretaries anything that makes sense when comparing one century's "words" to another."

Or maybe it was MEN putting words in God's mouth. The later is far more likely than the former.

Did you claim to actually STUDY Scripture? Why the pall over your understanding? No one can get wisdom FROM the Bible without bringing a little wisdom TO the Bible.

Why don't you "work" on this a bit and see if a little REAL study can help you with your conclusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity