Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 08:46 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I heard something strange recently, that Im not sure if its something Christians truly believe, or may have believed at one time.

'Dinosaurs did not really exist, the bones and fossil remnants were put here by God to test us'

Has anyone else ever heard this theory? Not sure what this theory is based on though.
To test us? Never heard it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 10:18 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
dinosaurs have similar bone structure to the birds which God created on the fifth day on Genesis 1:20
Yes, some dinosaurs were like this (but not all).

Anyone want to tackle the larger question, that if they did exist, what their intended purpose was (by God), its interesting to me, that they were the dominant species on the planet FOR SUCH A LONG period of time, they are said to have lived for millions of years...but when you look at humans, we have only been around 2-3K years? Something seems strange about that to me, maybe they were more important to God than we are, or their purpose was more important I should have said?

Old 05-27-2019, 10:38 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
I just found out that there is actually a group called 'Christians against Dinosaurs,' which questions the very existence of dinosaurs.

Here's a link to an article about the group.
https://www.cnet.com/news/christian-...ith-dinosaurs/
And here is a YouTube video by one of the members of that group. The ignorance displayed here is staggering.
Dinosaur Hoax: Ask a Christian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXlL0s6f7Go

Old 05-27-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Yes, some dinosaurs were like this (but not all).

Anyone want to tackle the larger question, that if they did exist, what their intended purpose was (by God), its interesting to me, that they were the dominant species on the planet FOR SUCH A LONG period of time, they are said to have lived for millions of years...but when you look at humans, we have only been around 2-3K years? Something seems strange about that to me, maybe they were more important to God than we are, or their purpose was more important I should have said?
Humans have been around for far longer than two or three thousand years. Are you sure that's what you meant to say?

Old 05-27-2019, 10:56 AM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Humans have been around for far longer than two or three thousand years. Are you sure that's what you meant to say?
LOL, yes, beat me to it.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
They should have gotten another person to be their 'de facto' spokesperson of the anti dinosaur movement! the way she talks, it comes off as being satire imo.

Im not saying I agree with this, but I do believe much of the 'worlds history' that we are taught is true growing up...more than likely, some of it is a deception, taught to us for some specific reason.

Whether or not dinosaurs existed, who knows, it could be a deception, but Im not sure what the benefit would be, if people believed one way or the other. Its sort of like the flat earth conspiracy theory, lots of people claim its true and we were all taught the wrong shape....but WHAT would the purpose of that have been, if majority of people believed the wrong shape of the planet? It wouldnt change much that I can tell???

Usually with these kinds of things, there is some motive/purpose in having people believe a lie (like the whole UFO/alien thing, that conspiracy theory has a purpose, its to either hide secret aircraft being developed, or to hide the existence of life beyond earth), point is, both of those things are clear purposes and motives for wanting the public to believe a specific way...the dinosaur conspiracy though,...not so much!!

Old 05-27-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
They should have gotten another person to be their 'de facto' spokesperson of the anti dinosaur movement! the way she talks, it comes off as being satire imo.

Im not saying I agree with this, but I do believe much of the 'worlds history' that we are taught is true growing up...more than likely, some of it is a deception, taught to us for some specific reason.

Whether or not dinosaurs existed, who knows, it could be a deception, but Im not sure what the benefit would be, if people believed one way or the other. Its sort of like the flat earth conspiracy theory, lots of people claim its true and we were all taught the wrong shape....but WHAT would the purpose of that have been, if majority of people believed the wrong shape of the planet? It wouldnt change much that I can tell???

Usually with these kinds of things, there is some motive/purpose in having people believe a lie (like the whole UFO/alien thing, that conspiracy theory has a purpose, its to either hide secret aircraft being developed, or to hide the existence of life beyond earth), point is, both of those things are clear purposes and motives for wanting the public to believe a specific way...the dinosaur conspiracy though,...not so much!!
Who knows? There is absolutely no question about whether dinosaurs existed. None. One of the best preserved dinosaur specimens is of a T-Rex named Sue after its discoverer. Some 90 percent of the skeleton was fossilized.

Here is that skeleton on display at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago, Illinois.

Catalog no. FMNH PR 2081
Common name Sue
Species Tyrannosaurus rex
Age about 67 million years[¹]
Place discovered Cheyenne River Indian Reservation, South Dakota
Date discovered August 12, 1990
Discovered by Susan Hendrickson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_(dinosaur)

It is not uncommon to discover new dinosaur species even today. Simply Google 'recently discovered dinosaur species' and take a look at the newly discovered species.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:35 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I wouldn't call it a "theory". Sometimes it's presented as Satan having put the bones there to throw off people from believing the Bible is literal.

Yes, it is a common belief among fundamentalist Christians, but not other types of Christians.
I find it hard to believe that you have not heard of this before.
Wow...thanks.
I never talked about Fundie stuff like dinosaurs with any of my Christian friends!
Wow, that is a bit nutty for me to hear....and a test from God? Wow.
(My Christian friends just come to me with their problems...usually marital
or their depression...
nothing about dinosaurs!!! LOL!)

Old 05-27-2019, 12:56 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
I live near one of the largest dinosaur fossil beds in the world, Dinosaur Provincial Park where there are new finds regularly.

I do remember learning that during the time if the great dinosaur fossil rush that some Christians doubted the existence of these bones and some thought that the bones were those of dragons. I would not be surprised if during those days the number of people believing either most likely was as little spread as the flat earthers of today.

Old 05-27-2019, 01:21 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, it is a common belief among fundamentalist Christians, but not other types of Christians.
Why do you say it is common when it is not common at all.

I tried googling about God putting dinosaur bones in the ground to test people, and found nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity