Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2019, 04:15 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,192,015 times

Advertisements

So, a friend just posted on Facebook that her Husband, trying to be helpful with his twins, took his baby into the Men's restroom to change his baby's diaper. Low and behold, there was NO diaper changing table in the Men's room -- only in the Ladies room. So Mom ended up having to do the job. Mom wrote a polite e-mail to their Church, explaining the situation.

And, by Golly!!! The new table for the Men's room will arrive this coming Tuesday and be installed
But...many churches do not have the money right away. This family is fortunate!!!

I got thinking about this situation at our own church, and I do not know the answer. I know we have a nice fold-down one in the Ladies room, but I do not know about the Men's room. I do know one thing that we do not have which would be useful, and that is a Family restroom. This is a room that could be used to change a diaper for a baby, or an older disabled child, OR by an older person who is still caring for another adult with incontinence problems.

One [very economical] way to solve this problem would be to have a hook on the door and a sign stating "Be patient - restroom occupied by someone of another gender" or something similar. But this is obviously not an ideal situation -- if you need to go, it is hard to wait!! And with so many families caring for, say, an Alzheimer patient who is still being cared for at home, the need for this is going to expand in coming years.

Just wondering -- how are your churches coping with these issues??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 04:55 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,984,679 times
...in the 50's in my old parish church where i was an altar boy, anyone needing the rest room had to run across the parking lot to the boys school to reach the nearest bathroom (not a commode in the place)...be thankful...

Old 06-08-2019, 05:04 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,012,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
So, a friend just posted on Facebook that her Husband, trying to be helpful with his twins, took his baby into the Men's restroom to change his baby's diaper. Low and behold, there was NO diaper changing table in the Men's room -- only in the Ladies room. So Mom ended up having to do the job. Mom wrote a polite e-mail to their Church, explaining the situation.

And, by Golly!!! The new table for the Men's room will arrive this coming Tuesday and be installed
But...many churches do not have the money right away. This family is fortunate!!!

I got thinking about this situation at our own church, and I do not know the answer. I know we have a nice fold-down one in the Ladies room, but I do not know about the Men's room. I do know one thing that we do not have which would be useful, and that is a Family restroom. This is a room that could be used to change a diaper for a baby, or an older disabled child, OR by an older person who is still caring for another adult with incontinence problems.

One [very economical] way to solve this problem would be to have a hook on the door and a sign stating "Be patient - restroom occupied by someone of another gender" or something similar. But this is obviously not an ideal situation -- if you need to go, it is hard to wait!! And with so many families caring for, say, an Alzheimer patient who is still being cared for at home, the need for this is going to expand in coming years.

Having a changing table in the men's room is a great idea as well every church having an AED machine on hand and snacks for diabetics.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:16 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
We're a very small parish with few children, so it's not a thing.

But...I have never seen a diaper changing table in a church ladies room in the first place. Good idea to have one in all restrooms if there are babies regularly present.

Or maybe a small diaper-changing room. Of course you would need a sink handy.

Old 06-08-2019, 05:19 PM

734 posts, read 351,614 times
Off the top of my head I don't know if my church has a changing table in the men's room. I'll have to check. Knowing my church, it might believe changing diapers is women's work.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:17 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,729,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyhockgarden View Post
so, a friend just posted on facebook that her husband, trying to be helpful with his twins, took his baby into the men's restroom to change his baby's diaper. Low and behold, there was no diaper changing table in the men's room -- only in the ladies room. So mom ended up having to do the job. Mom wrote a polite e-mail to their church, explaining the situation.

And, by golly!!! The new table for the men's room will arrive this coming tuesday and be installed

I got thinking about this situation at our own church, and i do not know the answer. I know we have a nice fold-down one in the ladies room, but i do not know about the men's room. I do know one thing that we do not have which would be useful, and that is a family restroom. This is a room that could be used to change a diaper for a baby, or an older disabled child, or by an older person who is still caring for another adult with incontinence problems.

One [very economical] way to solve this problem would be to have a hook on the door and a sign stating "be patient - restroom occupied by someone of another gender" or something similar. But this is obviously not an ideal situation -- if you need to go, it is hard to wait!! And with so many families caring for, say, an alzheimer patient who is still being cared for at home, the need for this is going to expand in coming years.

so this might be helpful.. Our churches the men would have to just go to the baby nursery class room.. They have a few changing tables all well supplied.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:28 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:

I'd like to thank you for referring to this device as a diaper changing station. It offends my senses every time I see one labeled "Baby Changing Station." I want to scream "NO! Don't change the baby! Keep the baby and change the diaper!"

[Sorry. I just felt the need to vent. ]

Old 06-09-2019, 02:39 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:

A gender neutral restroom with a diaper changing table would solve the issue.
When I was attending Church, there were all three - equally equipped.

And that was almost fifteen years ago.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:14 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer6583 View Post
Knowing my church, it might believe changing diapers is women's work.
Get-off the pot.

Old 06-09-2019, 01:07 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,134,207 times
100+ year old church. There is no “Mens” room or “Ladies” room. Just a restroom. And we’ve had a diaper changing table for as long as I can remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity