Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 07:18 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Curious what church do you belong to? Is Co short for Corithians?
Yes, Corinthians

And I don’t belong to a physical church

I was brought up by a Christian mum and went to church until about 15, but what I saw in scripture did not gel with what I heard in the sermons, so I became “agnostic” believed in the spiritual and God, but didn’t go to church or read scripture.

Over 10 years ago I felt the urge to study scripture and to understand what the spiritual was, tried a couple of “churches” but knew they didn’t fit me so I’m “homeless” but happy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 08:40 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Regrettably, for cultural and/or social reasons, many people do seek a church experience without actually seeking the Founder of the church Himself: Jesus Christ. I go to church because I follow Jesus, because He is my Lord and Savior. I had no desire to go to church when I did not know Jesus. Even knowing Him now, I sometimes feel lazy, not wanting to venture out of the house on a Sunday morning. Plus, I'm not a very outgoing or social person, so churchgoing is stepping out of my comfort zone a bit. Still, I go so that I can worship Him, listen to the sermon, and fellowship. Going to church is all about God, not about me.

The church cannot save your soul, and neither can tradition or sacraments. Only through the substitutionary atonement of Jesus can you be saved.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:00 AM

952 posts, read 323,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I joke that I love everything about the Christian religion except for the Jesus part.

First marriage was to a secular Jew, and we were "Jewish" only around Christmas time. However, I still have problems with the religion "about" Jesus, not so much the religion "of" Jesus. It just feels like idol worship to me in some way because it's confusing.
What would be the posture of a Jew towards the Messiah were he to appear today ?
I'm not sure . I have never asked a believing Jew for fear of offending or getting to personal .
Maybe they would welcome the chance to answer , I don't know ?
Would he be considered holier than the rest ? How so ?
How would it be different than a Christians posture towards Jesus.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:54 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
The church cannot save your soul, and neither can tradition or sacraments. Only through the substitutionary atonement of Jesus can you be saved.
Just a slight change and it would be correct. "The church cannot save your soul, and neither can tradition or sacraments. Only through the substitutionary achievement of Jesus are you already saved." We have nothing to do with our salvation.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:37 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I’m "homeless" but happy.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity