Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:00 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,405 times

Advertisements

Which denomination is it that their people want to put their hands on you when they pray?

I was at work the other day, and a lady was in our lobby selling newspaper subscriptions. Ive seen her before and we've chit-chatted, but nothing beyond that. Well, I was feeling a lil under the weather that day, and she noticed and asked me if I was alright. I just smiled and explained I was getting over a cold and couldnt smell anything.

She then asked me "Do you want a prayer?"
I thought she was joking, so I smiled and just kept working. As I turned to walk out of the door for another load of carts, though she called over to me and gestured for me to come over there. She said
" C'mon, Im not kidding...come over here, let me put my hands on you and we'll pray about it"
I know I gave her a look that reflected what I was thinking which was ( what the heck...) and replied "erm...no thanks..I'll do it myself.." and I just walked out of the door. As I did this, I heard her quote some verse about "the hands of the elders" being apon me...

I felt like a bad Christian...but I barely know this lady, and I've never had a stranger ask me to pray with them in a public place, much less want to put their hands on me whilst they do it. I was raised Baptist...and Ive never seen it done, so she kinda scared me.

Now Im just curious as to what denomination does this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 09:12 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,684,356 times
I used to attend an Assemblies of God church, and they did this.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappyLucy View Post
I used to attend an Assemblies of God church, and they did this.
Really? I didnt know that.

I was really surprised..it was kinda out-of-the-blue. I grew up Southern Baptist/Methodist, and nobody ever lays hands on anybody unless you know them well or they're the preacher.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:44 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,875 times
Is it possible she was just a lady that was'nt afraid to pray openly? You know along the lines of: "Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven.
"But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven. (Matt. 10: 32-33)

What is it you were really afraid of? Her laying hands on you or prayers on the job? And what does denomination have to do with it? Just curious.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:45 PM

322 posts, read 737,659 times
"they will lay their hands on the sick and they will recover" (from Mark 16:18)

Also read Hebrews 6:1-2. You should conclude that the laying on of hands is very biblical and there are other scriptures testifying of this also.

I was raised Southern Baptist. They would have prayer for the sick. But they did not understand the need for the laying on of hands.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:53 PM

519 posts, read 1,696,836 times
Lots of denoms do this .. Calvary Chapel, the Baptist in our area, Assembly of God, etc ... it's not unusual, and it isn't a scary thing. =) Or, at least, you shouldn't feel scared. When David danced before the Lord, he raised his hands .. and praying in public is just a sign she isn't intimidated by what the non-Christians think. It's very admirable.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:57 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,380,434 times
Pentacostals also believe in the "laying on of hands", as well as speaking in tongues among other spiritual gifts.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Is it possible she was just a lady that was'nt afraid to pray openly? You know along the lines of: "Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven.
"But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven. (Matt. 10: 32-33)

What is it you were really afraid of? Her laying hands on you or prayers on the job? And what does denomination have to do with it? Just curious.
'Cause I knew my own didnt do it, and I just wondered which ones did, since I know each denomination has their own different beliefs and I have little experience outside of Baptist and Methodist.

Its called learning new things.

I was scared because it had never happened before and wasnt sure how to politely handle it.
I also didnt know this woman, and my prayers are a very personal thing to me. My thoughts and prayers to God are personal and private, just as one would have a private conversation with another person.
So, bottom line, I don't pray with almost complete strangers, much less have their hands on me whilst doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedrsaved View Post
"they will lay their hands on the sick and they will recover" (from Mark 16:18)

Also read Hebrews 6:1-2. You should conclude that the laying on of hands is very biblical and there are other scriptures testifying of this also.

I was raised Southern Baptist. They would have prayer for the sick. But they did not understand the need for the laying on of hands.
I knew it was biblical. Otherwise Jesus wouldnt have laid his hands on the sick.
But..Im not Jesus, and therefore my touching someone isnt going to heal them. Its more likely to give them a cold shoulder ( because my hands are cold now)

Old 10-26-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Pentacostals also believe in the "laying on of hands", as well as speaking in tongues among other spiritual gifts.
0,o
.....they speak in tongues?? Like, do you mean that the preacher could be preaching and then all of a sudden busts out talking in another language??

Please forgive my ignorance. As Ive already stated, I know very little of the workings outside of the denominations I was born into.
So I guess through this thread Im trying to educate myself a bit more.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:33 PM

322 posts, read 737,659 times
It should be pointed out that though the laying on of hands is an inseparable part of Church doctrine, it is not the only means of ministering to the sick. Sometimes prayer in privacy is in order, even when the sick person is miles away.

With GOD, all things are possible. The key is to walk in the SPIRIT and be guided by Him. Then, He will instruct us how to help the sick.

Walking up to someone and praying for them with the laying on of hands, is not always the thing to do, especially if that person does not want to be prayed for in that manner. I don't recall the LORD JESUS ever forcing healing upon anyone. But He healed all those who believed in him and who wanted His help. Sometimes He touched the sick. Sometimes He simply commanded them to be healed or raised from the dead from a distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity