Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 07:47 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Jesus said, “There is none good, no not one.” We please the Father when we believe His Son.
The good man brings forth the good things from the treasure stored up within him. Is the story of the good samaritan in your bible. How about Jesus saying "You are the Light of the world". You need to understand why he told the rich young ruler whe he said there is none good. When God is the good, then the whole is good, for God fills all things. You might not want to see and accept that, that is because you have been brain washed into believing there is nothing good in anyone, so how possibly can God be in them. You know your bible says Light shone out of darkness, guess who is the darkness housing that Light?.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:50 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post
Hey, pcamps, where do you think people's spirits go after death? I think that the current church teachings are pretty far removed from the Bible, most likely due to poor translations, but do you believe in a separate Heaven and Hell, or is it all one place (like sheol or hades) or reincarnation or what?
As for me, when I get to that point I will either know or not be aware of anything. Either way, I'm good.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:55 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

'Verily, verily, I say to you -- He who is hearing my word, and is believing Him who sent me, HAS life age-during, and to judgment he doth not come, but HAS passed out of the death to the life.

We live BY and OUT of it, if you are not you are perishing.

You notice too, "and IS believing Him, not believing in him, huge difference, the devil does that and fears and trembles ?.
The believer HAS eternal life: right now, and in eternity. As I stated in post #244, salvation is an irrevocable gift from God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Romans 11:29. The gifts and calling of God are without repentance. That means God will never change His mind about His gift of salvation. The adopted child of God will never be disowned!

Old 07-04-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
The believer HAS eternal life: right now, and in eternity. As I stated in post #244, salvation is an irrevocable gift from God.
So you agree it is not a future event then ?. Time is an illusion. We all live in the eternal now, the thing to do is to wake up in it.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:01 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Simple, it has got nothing to do with being good enough,
it's everything to do with identifying with our true identity which is Jesus Christ.
As a man thinks in his heart so is he.
The belief we are all sinners deserving of hell, was created by the evangelical Fathers as bait
for fishing and reeling in the those that bite the bait.
Yes, that is a very simple message.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:02 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,161,936 times
Quote:
Simple, it has got nothing to do with being good enough, it's everything to do with identifying with our true identity which is Jesus Christ. As a man thinks in his heart so is he. The belief we are all sinners deserving of hell, was created by the evangelical Fathers as bait for fishing and reeling in the those that bite the bait.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The answer would be that "being good" does not earn anything but stisfaction. What is needed is the commitment to living in love that results in doing good things. It is an attitude that makes even the suffering of the thief on the cross easier to bear. It is a way of living that causes continued life after this world icing on the cake, but not something essential.
Thank you for answering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Jesus said, “There is none good, no not one.” We please the Father when we believe His Son.
Okay. So I have my answer from you. Your position is a little less liberal than that of a Universalist, but more forgiving than a fundamentalist. If you told me behavior was important, then we would have to re-examine.

Also, I notice a difference between believing in Christ and believing him. I think Pcamps pointed this out earlier.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:03 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
So you agree it is not a future event then ?. Time is an illusion.
Time is an illusion... try telling your boss that when you're late for work.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:14 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,026,379 times
Quote:
The believer HAS eternal life: right now, and in eternity.
In the Greek language there exists tenses that are not used or available in English, at least without the use of extra vocabulary to explain what was truly meant. John 3:16, the favorite Biblical verse placed on highway billboards, or written on posters at football games, apparently express a verbal “tense” not used in the English language.

That tense is referred to as the continuous present tense. It can be constructed in English using words that accompany the verb. However, there is no single tense that can be assigned to the verb that makes it present continuous. Common English language sentences in different tenses may read like these:

Present Tense: Snj is swimming.

Past Tense: Snj swam.

Future Tense:

Snj will swim tomorrow.

Present Continuous Tense (In English): Snj has been swimming all day.

Notice how in English the continuous present tense can be formed by using an auxillary verb plus a past participle prior to the verb (swimming). This is not necessary in Greek, since there’s an actual tense for the verb itself that denotes something happening now and ongoing.

As James White and David Pawson have both pointed out, the best translation of John 3:16 would read more like the following:

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever “continues or goes on believing” in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever “continues believing” in him is not condemned, but whoever does not “continue believing” stands condemned already because they have not “continued believing” in the name of God’s one and only Son.

Easy believism

The idea that salvation is simply a one time, one-and-done event that doesn’t result or show itself in any real manifested way. “Come to this alter, say this prayer, and you’re saved”.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:18 AM

421 posts, read 153,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
As for me, when I get to that point I will either know or not be aware of anything. Either way, I'm good.
"I don't know" is always the best answer when it's the truth, but my mind doesn't like it that much.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post
Hey, pcamps, where do you think people's spirits go after death? I think that the current church teachings are pretty far removed from the Bible, most likely due to poor translations, but do you believe in a separate Heaven and Hell, or is it all one place (like sheol or hades) or reincarnation or what?
What i do believe is, if the veil is removed from our eyes we would see that heaven is all around us, for no wit is for us to recognize it in us and live by it. It is beyond what we can think and imagine, and that to me can be nothing more than great unmoveable peace. In respect to reincarnation, i tend to lean towards it, but not convinced as of yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity