Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2019, 06:12 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Scripture refers to sacred writings. It's in the dictionary. Yet you choose to trust someone who tells you something that sounds good to your ears.

Some thing seems hopeless. Truly sad and hopeless.
No, the word scripture has been redefined to mean sacred writings, when originally all it meant was writings...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 06:29 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
That fits the ideologies of most of Christianism: "You're nothing but a piece of garbage that is undeserving of anything ...
" Do not use your God given abilities to reason things out - the Scriptures say (as often seen in quotations from fundamentalists)?
"..having eyes full of adultery that never cease from sin..." in 2 Peter

Then, we have we are ''worms, maggots (Job+Psalms), filthy rags, (Isaiah)'' ...as I recall...well...and the ever present reminder we
are ''all sinners, born sinners''.

And this for unbelievers, how special:
To the pure, all things are pure; but to those who are defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure, but both their mind and their conscience are defiled.
They profess to know God, but by their deeds they deny Him, being detestable and disobedient and worthless for any good deed. -Titus 1:15

-Just because you were given a mind that wants to see, understand, analyze but can't
make sense of the Invisible...or were raised with this kind of model....*"You must see to believe"...

*"Education, logic, the scientific mind is superior to anything that can not be proven."

(My friends are atheists...usually better people than my Christian friends--- committing adultery consistently, for example...
and telling 'white lies' regularly to their bosses and others. They tell me.)

Yay! Let's all love the Bible, as it's the inerrant word of God...sacred writings? Um, don't think so...
tho, there is Truth in there...I quote it a lot...Delight in the Lord, Be still, Cast your cares, give Him your burdens, Go to the secret place, Focus on the things above, be anxious for nothing, wherever I go You are there! Seek the Kingdom first! (most regarding trusting the Lord.)

*(To be clear: I adore God and He adores me...it is Man's distorted misconception
of God I do not agree with.)

Old 07-26-2019, 09:55 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Paul talks about letters in 2 Cor 3. John mentions the word books at the end of the gospel. This is just off the top of my head.
A letter (ἐπιστολή-epistolé) can refer to either holy scripture or to any general writing. Similarly, a book can contain holy scripture, or can just be a book about anything. Either term can refer to scripture just as much as γραφῇ can. And all three terms can refer to writings that have nothing to do with holy scripture.

Quote:
What is your point?
I'm simply providing the correct information concerning the usage of the word γραφῇ. Again, it can refer to any writing, or it can refer specifically to holy scripture.

Quote:
What do you think was the definition of "scripture" in 2 Tim 3:16? Do you disagree with the dictionary meaning? What do you think Paul was really saying if you are suggesting that it was not sacred writings?
I've already provided the Greek Lexicon meaning and I obviously do agree with it.
Quote:
How do you interpret 2 Tim 3:16?
As I said, every mention of γραφῇ in the New Testament refers to holy scripture. That includes 2 Tim 3:16.

Old 07-26-2019, 01:39 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
When you (or whoever it was) tries to redefine a word incorrectly, it changes the meaning of the New Testament passage. It's a deliberate distortion. The other meaning of the word has nothing to do with this topic.

This whole side topic was prompted by a New Testament passage, right? So what is the purpose of trying to distort what it says?
Maybe the way in which they are defining it now is the actual distortion of its original meaning...

Old 07-26-2019, 02:17 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Maybe the way in which they are defining it now is the actual distortion of its original meaning...
Or maybe the problem is not the way we evil Calvinists understand a definition, but it's the way YOU guys understand it.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:18 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
No, the word scripture has been redefined to mean sacred writings, when originally all it meant was writings...
In the context in which it was written, it most certainly did include the sacred writings.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:47 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
In the context in which it was written, it most certainly did include the sacred writings.
In the context of how it is used in the New Testament, the scriptures (writings/graphe) are the law and prophets which The messiah (Jesus/Joshua/yeshua) came to fulfill

The New Testament calls their own writings epistles, gospels and letters which expound/interpret the scriptures (Hebrew writings) in relation to ‘the messiah’

It is not about Jew/Greek slave/free male/female - but one in CHRIST

There is one God, one Christ, one body (but many members)

The people of God are to gather together in LOVE not despising their Jewish, Buddhist, Catholic, Baptist, Calvinist, Islamic, etc neighbours

Old 07-26-2019, 04:39 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Feel free to use old English or middle English if you are going to go that route. You wouldn't even recognize the language.

If you aren't, then that's pure hypocrisy to attack the etymology of a single word that you are prejudiced against.

Old 07-27-2019, 11:28 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times
I guess if Jesus never intended on saving everyone(according to calvinists), and only intended on saving certain Christians, then perhaps Jesus’ sacrifice was done in vain. What good is limited atonement if hardly anybody was predestined to salvation?

Old 07-27-2019, 11:58 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I guess if Jesus never intended on saving everyone(according to calvinists), and only intended on saving certain Christians, then perhaps Jesus’ sacrifice was done in vain. What good is limited atonement if hardly anybody was predestined to salvation?
Well the people who get so excited at the idea that THEY are the special ones who get the post-death goodies and everybody else gets annihilated or sentenced to eternal fire and chewing-upon by demons and whatnot think it's good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity