Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2019, 11:21 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
If you reject the Bible then what is the foundation of your faith? Warm fuzzy feelings? In addition, we have the great deceiver who I believe is really working through this issue to sow division and confusion among Christians. Those who stand firmly on the Word of God will be on the side of truth.
Apparently, you prefer to use the "Crucify him/them" card, while exalting yourself.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:21 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I "get" that some want to control others, but why don't we just let them play with their problems? Why do we need to talk about it? What do we have to gain by pointlessly trying to change the foolish and unchangeable?
I hear you Thoreau. But, my experience denies that it's pointless.

For most of my life I was a person who believed that homosexuality was an abomination to God and that those who were homosexual were so by choice (not by nature) and were hell-bound. Not long before I joined this board, thanks to discussions in other venues, I had grown enough to realize that, even though I still believed it was a sin, it was not my responsibility to try to "save" anyone, and that whatever sin was in their lives, it was between them and God. After some time here, reading and participating, I began to be convicted that I was passing judgment on something (in my own mind), that I had no business judging as wrong OR right because it was not a moral issue at all.

This is not an issue that I would have received balanced input on in my real world life and my own narrow view could have gone unchallenged until I died. My growth would have been severely stunted. And, let me tell you why this matters even more to me: my daughter came out to me a couple of years ago. Thank God, PRAISE GOD, that the people here and elsewhere took their precious time and energy to express truth in this place and others online, so that my daughter did not become a victim of my ignorance.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:22 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Love is the standard, BF. "Love one another as I have loved you."
So you advocate for a Biblical standard?

Old 08-26-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But...but...but, Wrathful God, like, ya know? Where does that fit into your 'Love One Another' nonsense? We need Wrathful God, because, ya know--because.
without consequences and wrath, love can't be known.

No one is suggesting that God is not love. Of course he is. But if you believe that God is only love, your god is too small.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Of course I have an answer. Well, you got me to laugh out loud with that dismissal of my argument, so you put the "fun" in Fundie!

"I think"---meaning it is my personal contribution to this discussion. But certainty is overrated! Wardendresden is offering good advice on this one. Certainty is the "easy" way out of an ethical issue that asks more of you.
Tell me when you have some way of giving me an objective answer of what morality is, and what is immoral.

Even the aforementioned love is a subjective standard. To this point all you have is your opinion, and your opinion is worth no more than mine, or anyone else's.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:26 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Love is a universal standard, BF. Open your eyes and your heart to what is all around you, in Christians and non-Christians alike.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Love is a universal standard, BF. Open your eyes and your heart to what is all around you, in Christians and non-Christians alike.
You beat me to it, love does not begin and end with religion.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I hear you Thoreau. But, my experience denies that it's pointless.

For most of my life I was a person who believed that homosexuality was an abomination to God and that those who were homosexual were so by choice (not by nature) and were hell-bound. Not long before I joined this board, thanks to discussions in other venues, I had grown enough to realize that, even though I still believed it was a sin, it was not my responsibility to try to "save" anyone, and that whatever sin was in their lives, it was between them and God. After some time here, reading and participating, I began to be convicted that I was passing judgment on something (in my own mind), that I had no business judging as wrong OR right because it was not a moral issue at all.

This is not an issue that I would have received balanced input on in my real world life and my own narrow view could have gone unchallenged until I died. My growth would have been severely stunted. And, let me tell you why this matters even more to me: my daughter came out to me a couple of years ago. Thank God, PRAISE GOD, that the people here and elsewhere took their precious time and energy to express truth in this place and others online, so that my daughter did not become a victim of my ignorance.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:13 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
without consequences and wrath, love can't be known.
Chapter and verse please.

Old 08-26-2019, 01:21 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I "get" that some want to control others, but why don't we just let them play with their problems? Why do we need to talk about it? What do we have to gain by pointlessly trying to change the foolish and unchangeable?
Go to Mighty Queen's opening of this thread and see her explanation of why this is an important topic to discuss. For me (and I believe this is in line with MQ's opening post) it is showing those in the LGBTQ community that Christianity is not all fundamentalist condemnation that unfortunately many see as the whole of Christianity. That there are those that love and accept and welcome.

For me, my heart was in that camp to welcome but I grew up in an evangelical tradition that while not as legalistic as some, still used a small fraction of the overall scriptures to condemn and reject and cause harm to Christians that found themselves with a sexuality outside the approved norm. I love the scriptures. I believe they are inspired and God breathed. This thread (and the previous one it replaced) have helped me to reconcile what on the outside look as trump cards for the LGBTQ condemners but when studied in context of who wrote them and to whom they were written, cannot be used as wholesale condemnation of homosexuality at all. Several here have been founts of wisdom on that end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity