Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 09:18 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Who are you refusing when you refuse to bake a cake "for an activity" you don't approve of, BF?
Just like Facebook has a right to censor people. Just like C-D has a right to censor posts. Just like other businesses have a right to do. A baker has a right to refuse to put a message he doesn't agree with on his cake, or to cater a function he has a moral objection to.
Quote:

You seem to like playing word games, like you buddy Finn, but any of us with a room temp or above IQ can see through you. You are advocating for Christians to be able to turn away gay people, because they don't approve of the reason they want to purchase something... Would you think the same thing if someone turned away a mixed race couple because they don't agree with "that lifestyle"?
The fact that you can't figure out the difference between refusing to serve a function or activity and outright refusing a class of people is on you. There is a clear distinction there and you seem to have a limited ability to comprehend it. I'm sorry for you. I really am. But please stop lying about me and others here.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:27 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Just like Facebook has a right to censor people. Just like C-D has a right to censor posts. Just like other businesses have a right to do. A baker has a right to refuse to put a message he doesn't agree with on his cake, or to cater a function he has a moral objection to.
No, not "just like Facebook", BF. This has been explained to you multiple times. You have to sign and agree to TOS on places like FB and CD, and you have to follow the TOS, or risk being censored/removed. A business that people walk into is not even remotely the same.

No one has asked this baker to put a message on a cake, or to cater a gay wedding though, have they? They simply asked for a wedding cake. The same wedding cakes that the baker makes for straight people, and adulterers, and everyone else. Refusing to make it for the gay couple is discrimination. Period.

Quote:
The fact that you can't figure out the difference between refusing to serve a function or activity and outright refusing a class of people is on you. There is a clear distinction there and you seem to have a limited ability to comprehend it. I'm sorry for you. I really am. But please stop lying about me and others here.
There is no difference. You are refusing the people because you don't agree with the activity they are wanting the cake for. You are refusing them because they are gay, regardless of your reasoning for the refusal.

Also, how is it any different in refusing a gay couple because you don't agree with them getting married, and someone refusing a mixed race couple because they don't agree with them getting married? Seems like you only want one specific group to be targeted here, BF.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:45 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
No, not "just like Facebook", BF. This has been explained to you multiple times. You have to sign and agree to TOS on places like FB and CD, and you have to follow the TOS, or risk being censored/removed. A business that people walk into is not even remotely the same.

No one has asked this baker to put a message on a cake, or to cater a gay wedding though, have they? They simply asked for a wedding cake. The same wedding cakes that the baker makes for straight people, and adulterers, and everyone else. Refusing to make it for the gay couple is discrimination. Period.

There is no difference. You are refusing the people because you don't agree with the activity they are wanting the cake for. You are refusing them because they are gay, regardless of your reasoning for the refusal.

Also, how is it any different in refusing a gay couple because you don't agree with them getting married, and someone refusing a mixed race couple because they don't agree with them getting married? Seems like you only want one specific group to be targeted here, BF.
Good try. But reasoning with fundies is a sisyphean task. Either they're too dumb to understand or too dishonest to engage.

Fortunately, all of them are too dim to be subtle. They might as well be made of plastic.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:50 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,373 times
Quote:
It's what the Bible says. Have you read 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, and Titus? Paul commanded them to appoint elders to lead the church. Those elders are to teach the people.

I'm not sure how much more clearly I can say that everyone is welcome in a church, including LGBTQ.... people. They are welcome to attend. But membership is reserved for those that have expressed faith in Christ, and live as a Christian. You find that surprising? If I join ANY organization I'm expected to live by their rules. How is church any different? Or is it only YOUR rules that we're expected to follow?
Of course, secular organizations have rules people have to follow. Church is different because of the definition of "sin" and making the rules about sin. Sin encompasses everyone, in thought and deed. It is a state of being, of missing the mark. The type of church discipline that people interpret Jesus to be talking about, is more like a gang of bullies. That certainly could not have been the spirit in which that verse was intended. Also, the whole point of church is for the sinners, so it is sets a bar of exclusion at exactly the point where you want to welcome people.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:51 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Good try. But reasoning with fundies is a sisyphean task. Either they're too dumb to understand or too dishonest to engage.

Fortunately, all of them are too dim to be subtle. They might as well be made of plastic.
Oh, it isn't for them, Trout. It is for anyone reading who may be on the fence in regards to this issue. Maybe there is some other poor soul out there who has been taught that discriminating against gay people is okay, but they are feeling that it is wrong. Maybe I can get them off the fence, and on the right side. (Yes, there is a right and wrong side to this issue, and those advocating FOR discrimination are on the wrong side)

I am not trying to reach those that are already too far into the Kool-Aid to find their way out.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:55 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
They believe people should be coerced into doing anything that suits their agenda. Personal freedoms are a thing of the past.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:58 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:

Yes it is. Facebook is a business. CD is also a business. You don't think they keep this site up for altruistic reasons, do you? You are deliberately not seeing the parallel because you are emotionally invested in your position and don't want to. We have free speech in this country. If you can't exercise free speech on CD or FB because they're private businesses with rules, the baker should also be able to violate what you feel are someone's constitutional rights. His private business--his rules.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:59 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Oh, it isn't for them, Trout. It is for anyone reading who may be on the fence in regards to this issue. Maybe there is some other poor soul out there who has been taught that discriminating against gay people is okay, but they are feeling that it is wrong. Maybe I can get them off the fence, and on the right side. (Yes, there is a right and wrong side to this issue, and those advocating FOR discrimination are on the wrong side)

I am not trying to reach those that are already too far into the Kool-Aid to find their way out.
Agreed. It's one of the reasons why I butt heads with them too. When they put me on ignore, like Brave Sir Fundie and little jimmiej, I know they've conceded defeat. And many of my reps come from lurkers who applaud seeing bigoted bullies get what they deserve.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:01 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They believe people should be coerced into doing anything that suits their agenda. Personal freedoms are a thing of the past.
"They" believe that people should be required to obey laws that are put into place because of a history of abuses. You seem to think it is about opinions, but it is about real people being hurt for no good reason.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:01 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
I also want to add, the caveat about "agreeing to TOS" is only valid if FB and CD apply the rules consistently. Which they don't. You don't have a good argument on this, 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity