Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 09:14 AM

18,845 posts, read 6,863,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, I didn't mention gay-affirming, and I'm still not even sure what you mean by it.

You do understand that everyone can read the same things you and I are reading and writing on here, don't you? You can't try to make it sound as if I said something other than what I said, because people can read what I said and say, "No, BF,l that's not what she said" without me having to say it.
You said:
Quote:
^Thank you for your honesty.

You do know that there are churches that marry same-sex couples, ordain gay people to clergy, baptize their kids, right?

My church does. I am straight and would not be involved with a church who tells gay people they are sinners because they are gay. It is wrong, and it's unChristian.

Not every church community demonstrates the meanness you see in this thread. I don't blame you one bit for walking away.

Perhaps I should not have used the phrase "gay affirming".

What I'm asking is, in light of the statement that you "would not be involved in a church who tells gay people they are sinners because they are gay",

Would you or would you not be a part of a church that values Jesus and his teachings? Is he as important? If your church was committed to treating gay people as you noted above, but they did not view Jesus as someone important to teach about, would you be a part of it?

Old 09-18-2019, 09:30 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,025,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You said:

What I'm asking is, in light of the statement that you "would not be involved in a church who tells gay people they are sinners because they are gay",

Would you or would you not be a part of a church that values Jesus and his teachings? Is he as important? If your church was committed to treating gay people as you noted above, but they did not view Jesus as someone important to teach about, would you be a part of it?
So what - exactly - did Jesus say about homosexuality?

Old 09-18-2019, 09:54 AM

88,125 posts, read 83,978,350 times
Quote:
You said:

Would you or would you not be a part of a church that values Jesus and his teachings? Is he as important?
Yes, of course! It is a Christian church that is exactly about Jesus and his teachings.

Quote:
If your church was committed to treating gay people as you noted above, but they did not view Jesus as someone important to teach about, would you be a part of it?
I honestly don't know, but I don't think so. I specifically returned to a Christian church because I wanted to see what others I knew saw in this Jesus character who I had always perceived from my childhood as stern, unsmiling, judgmental, and frankly mean. It was unfinished business. Attending a church that emphasized Jesus as community and loving one's neighbors and oneness with God over focusing on sin, death, Satan, punishment, and hell has been a very different experience from the sad and frightening Christianity I knew as a child.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:57 AM

18,845 posts, read 6,863,248 times
Quote:
Yes, of course! It is a Christian church that is exactly about Jesus and his teachings.

I honestly don't know, but I don't think so. I specifically returned to a Christian church because I wanted to see what others I knew saw in this Jesus character who I had always perceived from my childhood as stern, unsmiling, judgmental, and frankly mean. Attending a church that emphasized Jesus as community and loving one's neighbors and oneness with God over focusing on sin, death, Satan, punishment, and hell has been a very different experience from the sad and frightening Christianity I knew as a child.
What if your church taught something about Jesus you didn't agree with?

Old 09-18-2019, 09:57 AM

76,949 posts, read 47,272,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
So you got my point? Great! When fundies say "hate the sin, love the sinner", it is the same thing. They are speaking the language which is opposite of love.
It went over your head Sorry if I was not clear.

If you have history of making false claims, insults and accusations like most people in the gay agenda crowd here do, their reputation is gone, and their claims no longer taken seriously (no matter what they say).

If someone without such history says "I love you", there is no reason to doubt it.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I support that of equality of life without discrimination, but accept your apology for being hateful and demeaning.
I was apologizing for your behavior, not mine.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:09 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,656,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
First, your wrong about homosexuality being a lifestyle. Second, it’s funny that you think I care about “losing” or winning. Your thinking is so natural and earthy. All I care about is truth. I believe what I believe and nothing is going to change that. Cite all the statistics you want, it doesn’t matter. You’re lost in your secular religion and are blind.

This post is ridiculous.
I am a licensed Southern Bapyist minister, studied Bible scholastically at a Southern Baptist college, served as a vice-president of that same SBC school, and have preached from the pulpits of perhaps three or four score of mostly SBC churches.

I left the SBC in the early nineties AFTER it began demonizing LGBTQ and mistrusting women and no longer advocating for separation of religion and schools. Then they did away with their primary attribute--- a firm stance on the priesthood of every believer --- the right of every believer to read and understand the Bible for themselves. All of that ugly crap arose in the last forty years.

I met a closeted gay young man at that college following my marine corps service (Vietnam). He was a ministerial student who could play a gospel piano like no one I had ever heard. I dated his sister briefly. He became a minister after attending Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville, Ky. He became the pastor of an Indiana SBC church and some years later came to our church to preach a wonderful revival. Some years later he died of AIDS.

I never heard anyone question his devotion to God.

If you cared about truth you would study church history. You care about protecting your beliefs, period.

Tell us why not one single person anywhere at anytime has written a book about leaving liberal Christianity to become a fundamentalist? But their are many books, more blogs, and a score of YouTube videos of people who escaped the clutches of fundamentalism.

Once one has found the light there is no returning to the dog's vomit.

Here is a book I suggest to you in order to for you to prove to yourself you really have no interest in truth. David Gushee is a conservative Christian ethicist with a Master of Divinity from Southern Baptist Seminary and both a Master and Doctorate of Philosophy from Union Theological Seminary. He is presently a Distinguished Professor of Religion at Mercer University. He has written over a score books.

He wrote this book where he apologizes to LGBTQ people for an earlier work where he took a "traditional" stance:

Changing Our Mind: Definitive 3rd Edition of the Landmark Call for Inclusion of LGBTQ Christians with Response to Crustics

Quote:
Every generation has its hot-button issue,” writes David P. Gushee, “For us, it’s the LGBT issue.” In Changing Our Mind, Gushee takes the reader along his personal and theological journey as he changes his mind about gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender inclusion in the Church.
-------
Gushee is no stranger to the public arena. He is the author of the “Evangelical Declaration Against Torture” and drafted the “Evangelical Climate Initiative. “For decades now, David Gushee has earned the reputation as America's leading evangelical ethicist. In this book, he admits that he has been wrong on the LGBT issue.” writes Brian D. McLaren, author and theologian.
https://www.amazon.com/Changing-Our-.../dp/1942011849

Gushee gives both sides of the debate and explains what changed his mind as the leading conservative ethicist in America.

You won't read it, however. I have never found a fundamentalist willing to study their way to truth. They are only capable of opinionated response.

Don't talk about truth until you've walked in another's moccasins. I have.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:11 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,586,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It went over your head Sorry if I was not clear.
Sorry, I must have overestimated your ability to be rational, Finn... My bad. Won't happen again.

Quote:
If you have history of making false claims, insults and accusations like most people in the gay agenda crowd here do, their reputation is gone, and their claims no longer taken seriously (no matter what they say).

If someone without such history says "I love you", there is no reason to doubt it.

However, the same thing applies here, assuming you aren't a huge hypocrite? If you (meaning you and other fundies) have a history of making false claims, insults and accusations against gay people, your reputation is gone, and your claims no longer taken seriously (no matter what they say). See how that works?

Old 09-18-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
If you (meaning you and other fundies) have a history of making false claims, insults and accusations against gay people, your reputation is gone, and your claims no longer taken seriously (no matter what they say).
Of course, but what false accusations against gay people are you referring to?

Whether or not you take things here seriously is 100% irrelevant to me. I can assure you that.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:53 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,586,901 times
Quote:
Of course, but what false accusations against gay people are you referring to?

Whether or not you take things here seriously is 100% irrelevant to me. I can assure you that.
Do I need to mine more of your posts? Such as the time you said gay people had mental issues or were abused? Or those times you have said gay people try to make their kids gay? Or all of Jeff's claims that are demonstrably false? Or the constant claims that gay people want to eradicate religion or businesses owned by Christians? The comparisons to pedophiles, or the outright times people have said gay people are more likely to be pedophiles? Please, you aren't THAT stupid, are you? You know dang well what accusations I am talking about, Mr. Wordgames.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity