Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2019, 08:28 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I dunno, but I went to a wake once where the deceased was a young man who had committed suicide. There was a dog made out of brown flowers sitting next to the casket. It thought that was kind of weird and actually had to stifle a snicker at the sight of it, even given the situation, but I'm sure in both cases, the dogs meant enough that they were included in these rituals of life and death.

I have been to TWO weddings in the past few years that included dogs in the "bridal party". One was a re-wedding of a couple who had gotten married out west somewhere. She had a second ceremony in our church, where she had grown up, and the couple walked down the aisle with their dog, who wore a fancy kerchief around her neck.

The other was a little more bizarre. They got married on the music stage in the club where the groom tended bar, and his "best man" was a dog who had the rings in a little box tied to the collar. The bride walked in accompanied by their other two dogs as her bridesmaids.

I saw a cake with two guys on a topper a few years ago already in a shop window, but that was in NYC, where that sort of thing wouldn't cause a second look.
I guess I shouldn’t be surprised since I now see people bringing dogs into supermarkets in baby strollers. I’ve never heard of dogs in a wedding ceremony as you described but to each their own I guess.

It just seemed a bit strange to include the dog on the wedding topper, but if you’re a serious animal lover, have at it. I checked a bit more and there are dogs and cats included in toppers, gay and straight.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:04 AM

I think if you’re in the service industry, you have to be prepared to serve people with different beliefs than yours. Aside from the wedding cakes, does the Christian restaurant owner refuse to serve a gay couple? What about Muslims? Do you put a sign outside that says “Only Christians welcome here”?

And to get into extremes, how about polygamy wedding toppers? Yes, I realize it’s illegal, but to show you what’s out there...
Attached Thumbnails
Discussion of Christianity and its relationship to the LGBTQ community-b4c6e18a-5b76-44c2-b467-863c9521a5ca.jpeg  

Old 09-22-2019, 09:17 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,730,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I think if you’re in the service industry, you have to be prepared to serve people with different beliefs than yours. Aside from the wedding cakes, does the Christian restaurant owner refuse to serve a gay couple? What about Muslims? Do you put a sign outside that says “Only Christians welcome here”?

And to get into extremes, how about polygamy wedding toppers? Yes, I realize it’s illegal, but to show you what’s out there...
It's not the person that is the issue. It's the institution of gay marriage. Has nothing to do with the person. These bakers had absolutely no problem selling things like a doughnut to gay people. I'm sure they wouldn't want to service a polygamy or incest wedding either!

Old 09-22-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It's not the person that is the issue. It's the institution of gay marriage. Has nothing to do with the person. These bakers had absolutely no problem selling things like a doughnut to gay people. I'm sure they wouldn't want to service a polygamy or incest wedding either!
The difference is that polygamy and incest is illegal. Gay weddings are not. I also don’t see the difference between a gay couple coming in and buying a pie or a dozen donuts and ordering a wedding cake.

I’m sure some gay couples just want a nicely decorated cake that’s no different than a cake for a straight couple. Do you refuse that too? Does the cake have to scream “gay” to be unacceptable?

Old 09-22-2019, 09:44 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,730,724 times
Quote:
The difference is that polygamy and incest is illegal. Gay weddings are not. I also don’t see the difference between a gay couple coming in and buying a pie or a dozen donuts and ordering a wedding cake.

I’m sure some gay couples just want a nicely decorated cake that’s no different than a cake for a straight couple. Do you refuse that too? Does the cake have to scream “gay” to be unacceptable?
The legal status is irrelevant. Gay marriage was illegal not that long ago so what would you have argued then? You are focused completely on the product itself. That would be like gun shop owner not caring what someone does with his guns because guns don't kill people.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:49 AM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
The legal status is irrelevant. Gay marriage was illegal not that long ago so what would you have argued then? You are focused completely on the product itself. That would be like gun shop owner not caring what someone does with his guns because guns don't kill people.
Well, when was the last time that a gun shop owner asked a purchaser "Are you going to use this gun to rob or kill someone?". They don't ask, because it's none of their business, the same as it's not the baker's business what kind of wedding where the cake will be used.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:54 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Well, when was the last time that a gun shop owner asked a purchaser "Are you going to use this gun to rob or kill someone?". They don't ask, because it's none of their business, the same as it's not the baker's business what kind of wedding where the cake will be used.
Please don't be sensible. It confuses the fundies.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
When gay marriage was illegal they could still have civil unions or something similar that had no legal meaning. I would have done the cake then as well. I’d also do a cake for a couple that just decided to live together without being married but wanted to celebrate their “union”.

And you’re right. I’m focused on the product because that’s the business, providing products.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Please don't be sensible. It confuses the fundies.

Not all of us. Although to be honest I’m about 75% “fundie” based on the link you provided.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:36 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,659 times
Quote:
Not all of us. Although to be honest I’m about 75% “fundie” based on the link you provided.
The fact that you were willing to order the book Warden suggested shows that you are not as firmly in the "rigid thinking" camp as some others. I don't think anyone fits perfectly with labels, or into boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity