Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2019, 12:53 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
So, all this time you were ranting about SSM, you were just joking! Ha-ha! You sure had us going!

BF likes to play this little game where when he says, “Get married if you want,” he leaves out the part where he means everyone should marry someone of the opposite gender. In other words, those who are attracted to the same gender should live a lie if they want to be married.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:57 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
BF likes to play this little game where when says, “Get married if you want,” he leaves out the part where he means everyone should marry someone of the opposite gender. In other words, those who are attracted to the same gender should live a lie if they want to be married.
I am confused with all the "get marrieds." I think it means "Get married but don't expect me to tell them they are not sinning." And then the requisite verses about those who sin not inheriting heaven. Square one. BaptistFundie can correct me if I'm mis-representing.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
BF likes to play this little game where when he says, “Get married if you want,” he leaves out the part where he means everyone should marry someone of the opposite gender. In other words, those who are attracted to the same gender should live a lie if they want to be married.
Yeah, that fake pastor Vizio used the same lame "argument." It was stupid and hypocritical then and it remains stupid and hypocritical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I am confused with all the "get marrieds." I think it means "Get married but don't expect me to tell them they are not sinning." And then the requisite verses about those who sin not inheriting heaven. Square one. BaptistFundie can correct me if I'm mis-representing.
See above. It's part of BeeFy's schtick. And perfect evidence of why his views on anything are not worthy of consideration.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:02 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
One of the most vile, evil aspects of this belief that gay people should hide their real selves and just marry someone of the opposite gender is the total disregard for the hurt and pain this brings to the unsuspecting partner who is being used as a cover, or "beard", as is the common term.

I've known a couple of women and one man who have had to face the knowledge that the person they thought loved them was really gay and using them because their fear of living as their authentic self and risking the rejection of their loved ones and/or religious community made them pretend they loved someone they didn't. There is also shame involved on the part of the unsuspecting spouse in being seen as foolish for falling for the lie.

Yet this sort of behavior is encouraged??? Now that's filthy.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
One of the most vile, evil aspects of this belief that gay people should hide their real selves and just marry someone of the opposite gender is the total disregard for the hurt and pain this brings to the unsuspecting partner who is being used as a cover.

I've known a couple of women and one man who have had to endure the knowledge that the person they thought loved them was really gay and using them because of their fear of living as their authentic self and risking the rejection of their loved ones and/or religious community if they did. There is also shame involved in being seen as foolish for falling for the lie.

Agreed.

Thankfully, it's only the most spiritually retarded fundies that promote living a lie and destroying two lives -- more if children result.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:15 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You have told me, though. You've been quite clear that you believe I hate homosexuals and I want to discriminate against them. Don't try to walk that back now.
I never said you hated them, just that you don't think of them as equal. You clearly want to give Christian businesses the ability to discriminate against them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I've never actually said that I think it's ok to "turn a gay couple away". You've read into my words
See? Fundies and word games.

You never said those exact words, sure. What you have said, is that a Christian business owner should be able to turn a gay couple away. Not much difference there, is it? Your reasoning is irrelevant in this case, because turning them away buying a cupcake or buying a wedding cake is the same thing.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Exactly. I have asked him before, if he would have said the same thing to a mixed race couple.

"No one is saying you can't get married! Go get married! (To a person of the same skin color though, no mixed race stuff!)"

Of course the response is always, "NOT THE SAME!!!"...It is such a stupid argument, that I don't see how people still think this way. It is so ridiculous with the amount of information available to us nowadays.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:05 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've known a couple of women and one man who have had to face the knowledge that the person they thought loved them was really gay and using them because their fear of living as their authentic self and risking the rejection of their loved ones and/or religious community made them pretend they loved someone they didn't. There is also shame involved on the part of the unsuspecting spouse in being seen as foolish for falling for the lie.

Sounds like you are arguing it is impossible for a gay person to love people of the opposite sex. Homosexuality by definition is about sexual feelings.

Are arranged marriages also evil and filthy? Due to my occupation I work with people who are married via an arrangement (not out of love), and guess what? Out of dozens of such people I know only one who has divorced, while the rest live in happy and lasting marriages. They married a stranger, and grow a bond and begun to love each other.

Besides, often times it is all about being confused. I have mentioned before I know gay couples who are raising their kids as gay, but later in life, they might realize they were just confused.

Quote:
The dilemma I have known I was gay since I was a boy, but recently I have started having sexual feelings for women that I've spent a lot of time with at university. I went to a single-sex school and have never really had any female friends. I wonder if this might have contributed to my belief that I was gay. Ever since spending time with these women I haven't had as strong feelings for men and for the first time find myself fantasising about these women. Can one's sexuality change in such a short time? Is this normal?

You say you've always known you were gay, but the circumstances you describe won't have given you much opportunity to test the alternatives. It's long been my theory that in secondary education single-sex schools are great for girls, for whom boys are a distraction, and terrible for boys who afterwards take years to reconcile themselves to women as friends and equals. Just look at Boris Johnson if you want a prime example.

My feeling is that an absolutist position on sexuality isn't strictly necessary, and certainly not until you are well into adulthood.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...acted-to-women

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-27-2019 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-27-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sounds like you are arguing it is impossible for a gay person to love people of the opposite sex. Homosexuality by definition is about sexual feelings.

Are arranged marriages also evil and filthy? Due to my occupation I work with people who are married via an arrangement (not out of love), and guess what? Out of dozens of such people I know only one who has divorced, while the rest live in happy and lasting marriages. They married a stranger, and grow a bond and begun to love each other.

Besides, often times it is all about being confused. I have mentioned before I know gay couples who are raising their kids as gay, but later in life, they might realize they were just confused.
"Sounds like" you think you know a lot of people's marriages, when you likely don't. Is it impossible for a gay person to love an opposite sex person? Of course not, that's just stupid, Finn, even for you. No one has said or implied that. What is said, is that a gay person can't love a person of the opposite sex the way you should love a spouse. Marrying someone isn't just about "being" married, or "loving" the other person. There are many people I "love", but not in the way I love my husband. Hopefully you know this, or I feel for your wife.

As for your "I know all these people in arranged marriages and all of them are happy but one" story... Well, first off, I seriously doubt the truth of that. Even if true, just because they stay married does not mean they are happy. Surely you know this as well??? Arranged marriages are stupid and primitive. Anyone who is in an arranged marriage, is stupid and primitive. Sorry not sorry.

Even if that is entirely true though, it still doesn't change the fact that people shouldn't be forced to only marry someone that someone else approves of. Marriage is not a religious institution, and you guys want to treat it like one. Marriage is secular, at least in the US. Saying a gay person should just marry a person of the opposite sex, all because gay people make YOU uncomfortable, or because YOU believe God thinks a certain way is stupid and primitive.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Hey Finn, how come you guys still haven't showed any stats in regards to gay women??? Why the focus on only gay men???
Still waiting on one of you fundie guys to show me stats on gay women... I mean, you keep spouting stats about gay men, using that as a reason gay is bad, but still none about gay women.... Finn? Jeff-fa-fa (sorry, Jeff Dunham joke)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity