Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2019, 08:46 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,435,713 times

Advertisements

...but you are wasting your time with most Christians, because they have been taught by people who don't understand the book because it wasn't for them. The book isn't the problem, and neither is God. It's the people interpreting it incorrectly. I don't think you hate religion or God. I just think you're banging your head against a brick wall when it comes to most Christians. They think they are right and aren't going to change.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:51 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,586,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
...but you are wasting your time with most Christians, because they have been taught by people who don't understand the book because it wasn't for them. The book isn't the problem, and neither is God. It's the people interpreting it incorrectly. I don't think you hate religion or God. I just think you're banging your head against a brick wall when it comes to most Christians. They think they are right and aren't going to change.
Yea, you may be right, at least for the majority of them. There are several on here that DID change though, and at least a couple that have said people that question things were the reason for the change. So, I may be banging my head against the wall in regards to people like Jeff, BF, Finn, Choir Loft, etc, but there is always hope for many others. There are many lurkers, and many people who may be looking for answers to their questions. I don't post for those who have no hope to change, tree. I post for those who might, and myself. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:00 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,025,917 times
Quote:
The people in the OT had gone so far astray, they NEEDED to be told exactly what to do like little children, because they were incapable of behaving appropriately on their own. And unfortunately we are in the same exact place today. Even with rules, people don't know how to act. Do you think we live in a moral and just society? I don't think there's anyone alive who can honestly say "yes" and if you can, I know whose side you're on.
I live in a moral, just society. I'm Canadian.

Does that put me on Satan's side?

Old 10-22-2019, 09:03 AM

Hmmm....you sure about that? You think Canadians exist in isolation, then?

Old 10-22-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Hmmm....you sure about that? You think Canadians exist in isolation, then?
Do you think we are more, or less, moral than previous generations?

Old 10-22-2019, 09:12 AM

Hard to say. I think previous generations suppressed their immorality, and I think a lot of what is experienced today is a result of that. Their suppression is being manifest. I think previous generations did a better job pretending to be moral. We haven't been moral for a very long time.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Hard to say. I think previous generations suppressed their immorality, and I think a lot of what is experienced today is a result of that. Their suppression is being manifest. I think previous generations did a better job pretending to be moral. We haven't been moral for a very long time.
So enslaving others, beheading people at the town square, drowning witches, treating black people as less than human, lynchings, rampant rape and spousal abuse that simply got swept under the rug, genocide, etc etc was pretending to be more moral? I'm speaking mainly of the US here.

Fact is, we have NEVER been moral on a whole, and never will be. Individual people are more moral now than they have ever been, looking at history.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:22 AM

We see things differently. The same people who did those things in the past are still doing them. You aren't affected so you don't see it. Everything that has always happened is still happening, with the added effect of way more corruption in our institutions. Cops not getting punished appropriately for obvious murder, for example.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
We see things differently. The same people who did those things in the past are still doing them. You aren't affected so you don't see it. Everything that has always happened is still happening, with the added effect of way more corruption in our institutions. Cops not getting punished appropriately for obvious murder, for example.
I would have to vehemently disagree. If you think corruption and people not getting punished is new, you haven't done much research into history. It is off topic though, so I will refrain from continuing.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:30 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,306,202 times
Quote:
Suppressed? Not very well. Trail of Tears, reservations, slavery, Salem witch trials, Jim Crow laws, lynchings, child labor, oppression of women, Japanese concentration camps, etc., etc., etc.

ETA: ppppft. I see this has already been addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity