Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2019, 12:19 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Those are not superstitions just fabricated by ancient ignorant people. For one thing, archaeological evidence constantly is showing us that ancient people were highly intelligent and very advanced with their limited resources. God created those laws for a finite time and purpose. He also instructed them to bury their feces away from camp. How would man back them know about infectious diseases when it took science thousands of years later to understand it? And if you say that is just common sense then look at places like India where they don't seem bothered by very poor sanitation practices.
But some of those laws have no basis in fact or science. Like the menstruating women prohibition, and others. I wasn't being unkind calling it superstition. They did the best they could with what they knew. Someday someone will look back on me and think that about me. I'm a believer in the primal wisdom of ancient people. I often use that as an argument FOR religion---that people as far back as we can remember worshipped god(s) and goddesses. They were onto something, but they got it wrong a lot. We have to let our ideas about God evolve as we evolve, or we end up carrying forward the mistakes of the ancients.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:19 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why does it need to "do" something for him? It's truth. It's not subject to how it affects him.
So Jesus Christ who called himself the truth does not have any effect on you?. The effect of who he is and his teachings which in a nutshell are what he is, most certainly have had an effect on me ?.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
The sad thing is, you've had it explained to you before, but you continue to attack as if you haven't. We don't follow those OT laws because it's been fulfilled. Christ fulfilled them. We're not ancient Israel, and we are not bound by those commands. It really is about context. You really ought to at least attempt to represent it correctly.

And since Jesus is God and he wrote the NT, he did believe it. And so do we.
LOL.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:52 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
But some of those laws have no basis in fact or science. Like the menstruating women prohibition, and others. I wasn't being unkind calling it superstition. They did the best they could with what they knew. Someday someone will look back on me and think that about me. I'm a believer in the primal wisdom of ancient people. I often use that as an argument FOR religion---that people as far back as we can remember worshipped god(s) and goddesses. They were onto something, but they got it wrong a lot. We have to let our ideas about God evolve as we evolve, or we end up carrying forward the mistakes of the ancients.
He was crucified between two thieves: The mistakes of yesterday and the fears of tomorrow.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:57 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
The sad thing is, you've had it explained to you before, but you continue to attack as if you haven't. We don't follow those OT laws because it's been fulfilled. Christ fulfilled them. We're not ancient Israel, and we are not bound by those commands. It really is about context. You really ought to at least attempt to represent it correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
LOL.
I know, right.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:03 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
So Jesus Christ who called himself the truth does not have any effect on you?. The effect of who he is and his teachings which in a nutshell are what he is, most certainly have had an effect on me ?.
The question is, would Jesus still be Truth if he didn't have an effect on you?

Old 10-23-2019, 01:11 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,457 times
Quote:
The question is, would Jesus still be Truth if he didn't have an effect on you?
You seem to interpret truth as Jesus' teachings being true. But Jesus says that truth does something: it sets you free spiritually.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:17 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
No he didn't. The New Testament wouldn't be assembled for another 300 years.

And you don't either. Or you'd be avoiding sitting in the same seat as a menstruating woman used and carefully checking your clothing labels so there would be no mixed fabrics.

Hypocrite. Phony.
Typical ignorant garbage from you.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:20 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Typical ignorant garbage from you.
No. It's typically ignorant garbage from the bible.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:23 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,656 times
Quote:

Except for the gay bit though, right, BF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity