Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2019, 08:46 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,025,917 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: Quoted post has been deleted.

Poor, sad fundies. Not even allowed to persecute gays anymore. First the slaves have to be let free. Then women and coloureds got the vote.

Now gays can be legally wed!

Oh, the pain! Oh, the horror!

Oh, the joys of schadenfreude!

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-01-2019 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Quoted post removed.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:59 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,656,145 times

Yes, for all the misery your false religion causes others, YOU aren’t getting fair treatment.

Did you read about the unhappiest states in America? Mostly the Bible Belt. Even if you “believe” you aren’t the cause, the “preaching” you tout falls on deaf ears and is an utter failure.

Show us your mercy and love by example, if you have any.

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-01-2019 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Quoted post removed.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:12 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,656,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, that's not it.

Certain posters (and people in real life, too, for that matter) see everything through a prism of them being criticized or attacked or disparaged, even when that's clearly not the intent of the writer or speaker, as the case may be. They don't see the actual content of what was said, only the perceived criticism or attack, because always being criticized is the paradigm within which they move and function.
They don’t even realize “christian persecution” as they define it is a relatively new term:
Quote:
Many find it difficult to define the origin of the Christian persecution complex. According to Elizabeth Castelli,[c][14] some set the starting point in the middle of the 20th century, following a series of court rulings that declared public places to be out of bounds for religious activity (e.g. morning prayer in schools).[15] However, it[clarification needed] became apparent in the United States in the 1990s with the adoption of the International Religious Freedom Act of 1998 as the official foreign policy. A few years later, the September 11 attacks boosted its development. This complex "mobilizes the language of religious persecution to shut down political debate and critique by characterizing any position not in alignment with this politicized version of Christianity as an example of anti-religious bigotry and persecution. Moreover, it routinely deploys the archetypal figure of the martyr as a source of unquestioned religious and political authority".[16]

The concept that Christianity is being oppressed is popular among conservative politicians in contemporary politics in the United States, and they utilize this idea to address issues concerning LGBT people or the Affordable Care Act's contraceptive mandate, which they perceive as an attack on Christianity.[17]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chri...cution_complex

This is why CD’s refusal to allow discussion of politics AND religion in the same post cripples illustrative arguments. Fundamentalists aren’t “christians” who use a political arm. They are politicians justifying insane, hateful, discriminatory practices by using christianity. Though I admit most of those fundamentalists on this thread haven’t the cognitive ability to recognize what they really are.

Old 11-01-2019, 09:28 AM

88,119 posts, read 83,978,350 times

Every kid complains that everyone else got a bigger piece of cake. As has been mentioned many times before, an equal number of non-Christians complain that they are the ones being treated unfairly. The atheists claim favortisim toward the religious. The religious claim favoritism toward the atheists.

Some people could read personal offense in a cookbook. Some people don't complain at all, even when they have reason to do so. All of the above are represented in this thread.

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-01-2019 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Quoted post removed.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:41 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,192,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The terms malakos and arsenokoites were not translated as homosexuals, until 1946.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
And a very good translation.
No, it's not, but I am guessing you don't know that?

Old 11-01-2019, 02:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,192,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
She said she agreed it was unacceptable, generally speaking, but she didn't say anything specific against the poster for attacking me. Your side will NEVER criticize each other as long as everyone is trashing us. You could earn a little respect and admit that it was horrible thing for your buddy to say to me, but nope, you won't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I have heard worse, it's not something to cry about. There is an old saying, "if you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch." Unfortunately, we do say things out of haste which cannot be taken back, so we learn to live with that, or we forgive and move on. What I disagree with is discrimination, regardless of what someone believes, especially when those being discriminated against have not harmed someone else. Personally, I am heterosexual, but I have no problem when it comes to the way people are born, whether homosexual or that of down syndrome, each have the right to life; and to live it without someone else discriminating against them because they do not care for the way the person was born. And, contrary to popular opinion - it is not a learned or acquired behavior, or because someone has been abused. My wife was abused by men, but she never became something that she was not.

Instead of condemning people, and telling them how dirty and unworthy they are, perhaps you should take a closer look, and see how you would feel - if you were born other than what you are. Maybe you would have a bit more compassion and understanding without all the judgment. If you honestly believe you can change from being heterosexual, then go right ahead and try. I bet you can't, if indeed you were born that way. We should help people to be the best they can be without passing out our judgments, unless there is abuse and direct injury or harm. And the things that you have compared or used as a contrast, whether you admit to it or not, do not even come close to that of loving relationships.

You might have a better discussion if you actually listened to what people have been trying to say. It doesn't mean you cannot feel or believe what you do - they understand where you are coming from - it's just that they disagree for various reasons. I have looked at both sides of the equation, and have concluded that people are people, regardless if I agree with everything. And should be treated the same way I would treat my own family, or have someone treat me. However, that does not mean that I will not stand up for others who are being treated unjustly, and have done nothing to cause injury to that of another person. And you have said some nasty things, or at least they come across that way. No one is entirely innocent when voicing out their view or opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Right. I don't even really mind the insults or feel persecuted. It would be silly to really care what nicknames on a computer screen think about my words. I can barely tell a Jerwade apart from a Pcamps. They all sound the same to me! The thing that does tick me off is their stubborn refusal to acknowledge that yea we are personally insulting and attacking anyone who doesn't support homosexuality here. Or trying to justify such disgusting behavior and comments.
I appreciate the compliment, but unfortunately - it is obvious that your constant whining will continue as you remain prejudice against people who have done you no harm. You must have failed miserably when it came to intimacy and loving relationships, as you are always complaining about the relationships of other people, and appear to be an unhappy person?

Old 11-01-2019, 03:27 PM

88,119 posts, read 83,978,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I honestly don't know. No disrespect intended...I have no idea what your background is, other than you call yourself Christian, and you have said you don't believe in the doctrine of Inspiration.
That's odd, because I've written about it on this forum at length and at different times over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You seemed to say he was. I'm sorry if I misread it.

I'm thinking the many women that he worked with in ministry would disagree.

No disagreement. For that reason I don't tend to memorize proof texts, as much as I'm able to point to passages, or chapters.

What if #2 and #3 contradict Scripture
?
Sometimes they do. I'd say moreso reason than tradition. Tradition is usually in addition to scripture; for example, the story that Paul was executed outside the walls of Rome and buried there.

Reason will more often contradict scripture and tradition both; for example, the ideas in scripture dictating that that women can't serve as priests or that they are to be subservient to their husbands. Reason tells us that this was a practice handed down by a patriarchal society that has no basis in truth and is irrelevant today.

Then we come back to the subject of this thread. Same thing. Reason trumps scripture here. We have the knowledge that there are people who naturally have an inclination toward attraction to people of their own gender, and we understand why an ancient culture would have put strictures against such relationships. And why they would have had the need to say "God said so" about that and other things.

Reason also tells us that in the grand scheme of things, particularly as pertains to their spirituality, people's sexual proclivites are about as important as whether they are lefthanded or allergic to mustard.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:40 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,586,901 times
Quote:
That's odd, because I've written about it on this forum at length and at different times over the years.

Sometimes they do. I'd say moreso reason than tradition. Tradition is usually in addition to scripture; for example, the story that Paul was executed outside the walls of Rome and buried there.

Reason will more often contradict scripture and tradition both; for example, the ideas in scripture dictating that that women can't serve as priests or that they are to be subservient to their husbands. Reason tells us that this was a practice handed down by a patriarchal society that has no basis in truth and is irrelevant today.

Then we come back to the subject of this thread. Same thing. Reason trumps scripture here. We have the knowledge that there are people who naturally have an inclination toward attraction to people of their own gender, and we understand why an ancient culture would have put strictures against such relationships. And why they would have had the need to say "God said so" about that and other things.

Reason also tells us that in the grand scheme of things, particularly as pertains to their spirituality, people's sexual proclivites are about as important as whether they are lefthanded or allergic to mustard.
Well said. I find it odd that so many people will say, "This or that verse was only meant for the people of that time", but can't do so with other verses that we have moved past.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:46 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,025,917 times
Quote:

Fine post. Too soon.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:47 PM

6,635 posts, read 2,824,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade
The terms malakos and arsenokoites were not translated as homosexuals, until 1946.
Quote:
And a very good translation.
How can there be a 'very good' translation of a word that was evidently made up by its author ...in this case, Paul? NO ONE knows what 'arsenokoites' actually means. Moreover, I'm not sure that anyone should really care.

Quote:
Do you know what term the people of the Greco-Roman empire used, in reference to those who practiced Male to male sexual relations?
Are you going to leave us hanging or are you going to tell us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity