Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2019, 08:42 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,707,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
SOME Christians believe the Bible is "the infallible Word of God," but I don't know if MOST is an accurate description of the Christians that do.
There are quite a few that hold to infallibility, but fewer than those who believe it is a book of fables, and far fewer than REAL evangelicals who have the third view:

Quote:
Fewer than one in four Americans (24%) now believe the Bible is "the actual word of God, and is to be taken literally, word for word," similar to the 26% who view it as "a book of fables, legends, history and moral precepts recorded by man." This is the first time in Gallup's four-decade trend that biblical literalism has not surpassed biblical skepticism. Meanwhile, about half of Americans -- a proportion largely unchanged over the years -- fall in the middle, saying the Bible is the inspired word of God but that not all of it should be taken literally.

From the mid-1970s through 1984, close to 40% of Americans considered the Bible the literal word of God, but this has been declining ever since, along with a shrinking percentage of self-identified Christians in the U.S. Meanwhile, the percentage defining the Bible as mere stories has doubled, with much of that change occurring in the past three years.
https://news.gallup.com/poll/210704/record-few-americans-believe-bible-literal-word-god.aspx

Out of one side of their mouths fundamentalists claim “most” christians believe the Bible is infallible, out of the other “most” christians are a persecuted minority. They will invent any story that fits the narrative of the moment Moderator cut: Politics

Apparently they are a failure at convincing people to believe their nonsense. Thank God!!

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-08-2019 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: Stop with the political references.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:24 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
There are quite a few that hold to infallibility, but fewer than those who believe it is a book of fables, and far fewer than REAL evangelicals who have the third view:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/210704/record-few-americans-believe-bible-literal-word-god.aspx

Out of one side of their mouths fundamentalists claim “most” christians believe the Bible is infallible, out of the other “most” christians are a persecuted minority. They will invent any story that fits the narrative of the moment Moderator cut: Politics

Apparently they are a failure at convincing people to believe their nonsense. Thank God!!
So Troutdude is right, bible fundamentalists will one day become extinct if the current trend is something to go by.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:13 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
“Infallible” is defined differently. The history of the word as it applies to Scripture is as wide as the oceans:

From a right wing conservative Christian webasite:

https://bible.org/question/what-diff...nary-inerrancy

Your belief of inerrancy is subject to MUCH interpretation, and hasn’t been adhered to by all Christians since the beginning of the Christian Era.

Early church fathers saw Genesis as figurative:

https://www.thomisticevolution.org/d...of-the-church/

Interpreting “infallibility” is easy only for those unwilling to research it. And “easy” is always the fundamentalist choice for avoiding the hard task of THINKING. Combined with lack of empathy and opposition to kindness it’s how you manage to make poor moral judgments about other people.
This is excellent. What is fallible 100% of the time is man thinking he totally grasps everything God is saying through those words without a shadow of a doubt.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:18 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
This is excellent. What is fallible 100% of the time is man thinking he totally grasps everything God is saying through those words without a shadow of a doubt.
Ha, great line!

Old 11-09-2019, 11:20 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Ask the Spirit to guide you if you have a hard time getting it.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:53 PM

63,774 posts, read 40,030,593 times
Quote:
Amen. Well said!

Old 11-09-2019, 01:10 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

The Spirit is the one that let me know I didn't have it all down to a well defined T.

Old 11-09-2019, 03:35 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,910,926 times
Quote:
Check your results against the fruit of the Spirit and let us know if there are any matches.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:43 PM

202 posts, read 42,064 times
Quote:
Could I ask what the exact topic of this thread is?

Old 11-09-2019, 05:55 PM

202 posts, read 42,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
You don't wanna go in there, it's a real meat market, an atmosphere you can almost feel comimg over you no matter which side you are on, and then I pull my blade, it just wants to shoot out of my mouth like it has it's own will, I swear I will cut it off one day. But yeah, all kinds of hail, the sound of grinders, screaming and wailing and as the crystal breaks under my feet with the noise of shattered glass, it becomes like pieces of glass in my head, my head.
Maybe a fresh perspective?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.