Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2019, 12:05 PM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
How is it "good"? It didn't answer the main point. That if we human beings are nothing more than physical beings with chemical reactions going on in our brains, we can't account for morality. We can only account for things that are beneficial or not. But the value of morality is unaccounted for.
Who has said that human beings are nothing more than physical beings with chemical reactions going on in our brains on this thread? Serious question. I did not see it, although a few of the atheist posters in other R&S sections have expressed such ideas.

Quote:
On the other hand, you, identifying as a Christian, have just encouraged someone who is mocking Christianity. Good for you. Way to go.
That poster doesn't mock Christianity. He mocks belief in the divinity of the Bible. You kind of have to expect that when you adopt a belief that appears illogical and ridiculous to those outside your belief system. It's not going to make sense to anyone else. Doesn't mean you have to give up your beliefs, but you should be able to see their point of view. Learn to laugh at yourself a bit.

Anyway, it was the writing I was critiquing, not the content.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:27 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
How is it "good"? It didn't answer the main point. That if we human beings are nothing more than physical beings with chemical reactions going on in our brains, we can't account for morality. We can only account for things that are beneficial or not. But the value of morality is unaccounted for.

On the other hand, you, identifying as a Christian, have just encouraged someone who is mocking Christianity. Good for you. Way to go.
Re: the bold - sez who?

And I mock fundies. Especially when reproof and correction are required. Which is pretty much every time you, jeffie, and Finny post.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:13 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Re: the bold - sez who?

And I mock fundies. Especially when reproof and correction are required. Which is pretty much every time you, jeffie, and Finny post.
People who have to hide behind mockery and insults demonstrate lack of character, IMO.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:44 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That poster doesn't mock Christianity. He mocks belief in the divinity of the Bible. You kind of have to expect that when you adopt a belief that appears illogical and ridiculous to those outside your belief system. It's not going to make sense to peoplene else. Doesn't mean you have to give up your beliefs, but you should be able to see their point of view. Learn to laugh at yourself a bit.
Why does this "laughing at yourself" rule not apply to Judaism? You guys do realize the Torah is the Old Testament? Why are Jewish people never mocked for their book of mythology? Like I said, I understand you guys got burned and are annoyed by Christians, but be honest about the reason for your disdain. Based on your (this is a general "your") logic, you should be mocking Jewish people with the same fervor.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:59 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
People who have to hide behind mockery and insults demonstrate lack of character, IMO.
People who have to hide behind the bible demonstrate lack of character IMO.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:04 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Especially the ones who claim you can't know right from wrong without it. Imagine being such a terrible person, that you can't tell right from wrong without reading it in an ancient religious text?

Old 11-20-2019, 02:13 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Your opinion affects me as much as a butterfly fart in Borneo.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:15 PM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Why does this "laughing at yourself" rule not apply to Judaism? You guys do realize the Torah is the Old Testament? Why are Jewish people never mocked for their book of mythology? Like I said, I understand you guys got burned and are annoyed by Christians, but be honest about the reason for your disdain. Based on your (this is a general "your") logic, you should be mocking Jewish people with the same fervor.
Who are you addressing? I don't think any Jews have ever posted in this thread, though I could be wrong. Jews tend not to participate in the Christianity forum.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:28 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Never thought I would see such hatred for the Word of God in a Christianity forum. Unreal. Man is fallible. Man is stupid. Man is arrogant. The Word of God is always truth and wisdom. Always.

Old 11-20-2019, 02:31 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:

What part of “morality” is hard for you to understand? If an action causes no harm to others and isn’t inherently selfish, it is MORALLY acceptable. You have yet to prove homosexuality is inherently “immoral.” In fact, you prove that you have no inherent morality yourself because your morality must be read in a book, not come from the heart. And since the “book” itself is full of pagan laws that DO cause harm to others, you are pagan at heart as well as immoral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity