Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2019, 03:00 PM

4,765 posts, read 1,994,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
That would be me.

I DO occasionally mock Christians, having been one myself, and many of my family remain so. But it's gentle.

Not occasionally, you go way out of your way to mock us whenever you get a chance and it is always out of you ignorance of Christianity. No one who is truly born again leaves the faith.

Quote:
However, as you well know - having run from me dozens of times - I take the gloves off when faced with a fundie.

You are also ignorant of what a fundie is, and this fundies will never run from you.

Quote:
Your brand of Christianity is sickening. It is based on fear and hate and divisiveness - yes, like the god-thing you worship - a small, petty, hateful psycho.

Your brand of secularism is sickening and based on ignorance, which leads to bigotry.

Quote:
And you represent it well.

And you represent your intolerance very well. To call anyone's deity a "god-thing" is bigotry of the first order.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:01 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Discrimination is not discrimination. That's just pedestal posturing rhetoric not based in reality. Discrimination in the sense of trying someone as sub-human or 2nd class is wrong, sure, but your side wants to take it to extremes to mean you get your way every way every where. Real world doesn't work that way. If it did then you wouldn't see restaurants being allowed to turn people away because of a dress code or clubs turning people away. Or an employer may not want to hire you if you are covered with tattoos. The list goes on and on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The only one who is not facing reality would be you, and your comparisons are not even close to that of discriminating against an individual because of their sexual orientation. There is a huge difference between that of a dress code. Or, you comparing them to pedophiles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And of course, you won't explain the HUGE difference. Typical copout.
If you CANNOT distinguish or comprehend the differences, then your issues are greater than merely being prejudice.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
DM me your street address and when, exactly, you are home alone.

As usual, when you can't prove one of your ignorant remarks, you post something stupid, proing you can't.

Thanks.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Not occasionally, you go way out of your way to mock us whenever you get a chance and it is always out of you ignorance of Christianity. No one who is truly born again leaves the faith.

You are also ignorant of what a fundie is, and this fundies will never run from you.

Your brand of secularism is sickening and based on ignorance, which leads to bigotry.

And you represent your intolerance very well. To call anyone's deity a "god-thing" is bigotry of the first order.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The Word of God does not exist in written form. The Bible is often referred to in that way, but it is not ACTUALLY "The Word of God".

What is it then?

Old 11-24-2019, 03:31 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
What is it then?
It is a collection of writings resulting from men's quest to connect with God. It includes history, some accurate, some not; culture, the legal framework of a people, poetry, prophecy, biography, folklore, and interpretation. It holds thought that ranges from the ridiculous to the truly inspirational.

But they are not God's words. All the words come from men.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I don't know. Some atheists seem to think so, but no one on this thread has said that. At least not recently that I can recall.

I find that a line so fine one statement is almost indescernible from the other. All writers of religious texts believe they are inspired by God, but they are still human, as is the act of writing, which comes from a human mind. It's an error to believe that "inspired" means it literally came from God. It's a short leap from thinking that way to claiming thus and so is what God thinks because someone whose work happens to be included in scripture said so for reasons that may not have had much to do with God at all, and then using that claim as a reason to dismiss, marginalize, or harm others--and label them sinful--which is the very reason this thread exists.

It is dangerous and wrong to give that much power to the written words of human beings. The context and intent has to be examined.

I just posted a comment asking you what the Bible i. You can ignore it because this answers my question. It is only dangerous if it is not true. Can you point to anything in the Bible that is not true? Do you have any real evidence that what the humans wrote did not come from God? It seems it is just as dangerous to claim the Bible is not inspired by God, and have no evidence to support it. What specifically do you find objectionable in the Bible?

Quote:
I was referring to and responded to TroutDude, who is neither an atheist nor mocks Christians in general. He has frankly and repeatedly said he has an issue with fundamentalist Christianity

Trout goes out of his way to mock, ridicule, all Christians and Christianity in general. He also doesn't know what a fundamentalist is.

Quote:
An atheist believes there is no God in any form, nothing spiritual at all, nothing beyond that which can be proved through hard evidence.

No matter what one claims to be, they have no right to mock the religion of another. Moderator cut: Discussing moderation. It might help his conduct if he took the trouble o find out what a fundamentalist really is.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-24-2019 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Discussing moderation

Old 11-24-2019, 03:45 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
I just posted a comment asking you what the Bible is. You can ignore it because this answers my question. It is only dangerous if it is not true. Can you point to anything in the Bible that is not true? Do you have any real evidence that what the humans wrote did not come from God? It seems it is just as dangerous to claim the Bible is not inspired by God, and have no evidence to support it. What specifically do you find objectionable in the Bible?

<snipped for brevity>
I already answered that question, probably while you were typing this one.

If you want to start a thread asking the questions above, you can do so. Perhaps entitle the thread, "Why don't some Christians think that the Bible is the literal Word of God?" or something to that effect.

But for purposes of THIS thread, I will answer the question I bolded.

I do not find anything objectionable in the Bible. It says what it says.

I find objectionable people's use of the Bible to marginalize and oppress others by claiming that God said thus and so, when it was men who said--and still say--thus and so.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Cowardice is a fundie hallmark.

Thanks for continuing to exspose your ignorance of fundamentalism. You secular fundies need understand the terms you use. Of course if you did, you would have to abandon your secular doctrines.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I've heard Presbyterian described as similar.

Very different from Episcopal, as darkness is different from light.

The RCA is Calvinist. It focuses on sin, death, and hell. Yes, predestination and the emphasis that you are absolutely worthless unless a stern, judgmental, and outright mean God picks you at random for salvation.

You need to brush up on what reformed theology really teaches and it does not focus on anything you just mentioned. There are some "Bible-believing" churches that do focus on those things, but the ARE NOT fundamentalist.

The main focus of reformed theology is God loves you so we need to love others as our self---the inspiration of Scripture, making all doctrines based on Scripture---the way of salvation---All people are valuable, including those still in the womb---helping the needy, and a few more.

I am a Presbyterian and my church is a member of the PCA, Presbyterian Chuech in America, and we are about as fundamental as one can get.

Predestination is mentioned in the Bible 3 times, that is why we believe in it. Should we ignore any any word in God's word?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity