Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 02:14 PM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I strongly disagree with your first two sentences.

Certainly in the world's war zones and areas affected by drought, storms and despots, there is considerable gloom.

But my world is not full of despair and neither is that of most who live in first world countries. Sometimes life is difficult, more for some than others, but attitude is everything. If you focus on your glass being half-full or better - it will be.

But yes, random acts of kindness are Good Things. They help the donor as well as the recipient.
It's all perspective isn't bro?

We have somehow entered an era of protesting and saving the world, schools indwelling rebel spirits, and that is fine and all, but the rebels tend to dwell in a gloom because they are always trying to save the world by proving the world is about to end and all they need to do is to bring everyone into their perspective, the end of the world view.

Christians do it, and it was the milk I was raised in, the end was always tomorrow but tomorrow never came. Kept me in a dark, terrifying gloom most of my life, that mentality is hard to overcome.

Politicians also do it on either side like one of them saying the world will end in 12 years, and she has millions of followers, and so, the end is nigh Kingfish, REPENT BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

Woe is me, Woe is You, and damn our eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 09:15 PM

2,984 posts, read 3,345,230 times
“The lotus is the most beautiful flower, whose petals open one by one. But it will only grow in the mud. In order to grow and gain wisdom, first you must have the mud --- the obstacles of life and its suffering. ... The mud speaks of the common ground that humans share, no matter what our stations in life. ... Whether we have it all or we have nothing, we are all faced with the same obstacles: sadness, loss, illness, dying and death. If we are to strive as human beings to gain more wisdom, more kindness and more compassion, we must have the intention to grow as a lotus and open each petal one by one. ” Goldie Hawn

Old 09-26-2019, 01:22 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
I like how the Collingsworth family addresses this topic:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=98iV3KyPOlE

Show a little bit of love and kindness,
Never go around with hatred's blindness
Take a little time to reach for joy and wear a happy face...
Sing a little bit when the days are dreary,
Offer little help to a friend who's weary
That's the way to make the world a happy place.

The Collingsworth Family - Show A Little Bit Of Love & Kindness

Old 09-26-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I like how the Collingsworth family addresses this topic:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=98iV3KyPOlE

Show a little bit of love and kindness,
Never go around with hatred's blindness
Take a little time to reach for joy and wear a happy face...
Sing a little bit when the days are dreary,
Offer little help to a friend who's weary
That's the way to make the world a happy place.

The Collingsworth Family - Show A Little Bit Of Love & Kindness
"I have no desire to move mountains, construct monuments or leave behind in my wake material evidence of my existence. But in the final recollection, if the essence of my being has caused a smile to have appeared upon your face or a touch of joy within your heart, then in living I have made my mark"- Thomas L. Odem Jr.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:51 PM

'Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest complement or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around' -- Leo Buscaglia

I believe that “God is love.” -1 John 4:8-

I believe that “love never fails.” -1 Cor. 13:8-

I believe that God never fails.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:20 PM

3,220 posts, read 923,679 times
Kindness?

"Render true judgement and show kindness and compassion to one another," saith the Lord.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:34 PM

919 posts, read 847,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You must not under any pretense allow your mind to dwell
[/i]on any thought that is not positive, constructive, optimistic, or kind.
-Emmet Fox, Christian
Is that a real quote? Out of context, that sounds like the three monkeys (see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.)
Might it not be better to understand reality as it is, including the negative parts, so then you can change it for the better?
I realize that sometimes we all need a refuge from the negativity, I am not saying that you should always dwell upon the negative reality either. Otherwise you couldn't enjoy anything - because there are children starving in Africa.

Old 09-27-2019, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
Is that a real quote? Out of context, that sounds like the three monkeys (see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.)
Might it not be better to understand reality as it is, including the negative parts, so then you can change it for the better?
I realize that sometimes we all need a refuge from the negativity, I am not saying that you should always dwell upon the negative reality either. Otherwise you couldn't enjoy anything - because there are children starving in Africa.
The fact is there are over 500 children under age 5 worldwide who die every hour of every day, every week, every month, every year.

Do you think the Father who does not allow one sparrow to fall is oblivious to them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=B_xdkk_sXgA

Old 09-27-2019, 04:46 AM

'Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace' - Albert Schweitzer-

'Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest complement or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around' - Leo Buscaglia

I believe that "God is love." -1 John 4:8-

I believe that "love never fails." -1 Cor. 13:8-

I believe that God never fails.

Old 09-27-2019, 05:01 AM

"You choose your life, that is to say, you choose all the conditions of your life, when you choose the thoughts upon which you allow your mind to dwell. Thought is the real causative force in life, and there is no other. You cannot have one kind of mind and another kind of environment. This means that you cannot change your environment while leaving your mind unchanged." -Emmet Fox-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity