Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 10:33 PM

157 posts, read 89,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Surely a standard worry is misunderstanding & misapplication. But I fear that human nature and history reveals we commonly botch spiritual teachings no matter how fine the textual or personal spiritual advisor is.
That's why it's important to approach all of that with a spirit of humility and obedience. Jumping into it without even attempting to live the life in the Church is neither of these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 09:47 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,027,721 times
A 1907 novel about humanity's dark future, which we see unfolding now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_World

Quote:
Lord of the World is a 1907 dystopian science fiction novel by Monsignor Robert Hugh Benson that centres upon the reign of the Antichrist and the end of the world. It has been called prophetic by Pope Francis and Pope Benedict XVI as well as Dale Ahlquist and Joseph Pearce.

Old 08-23-2023, 11:41 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
The Unselfishness of God, and How I Discovered It. - Hannah Whitall Smith

I always feel a connection to her, because we had some similar experiences, and I didn't discover her until afterwards. These experiences led me to realize the true nature of God which is pure, agape love.

The experiences had to do with actually FEELING with all of my heart, mind and soul what it was that I was believing at the time, which was brought on by the two commands. Love God with all of your heart mind and soul (which just means get to KNOW and understand God, search Him out with ALL of your heart mind and soul because how can you HONESTLY say you love anyone or anything with that intensity, if you do NOT fully KNOW that being.). And the second command "Love your neighbor as yourself".

My heart did not throw up concrete walls against all of the things that were not right with my belief, with what others told me was God. What others said God was about. What others just ACCEPTED. I didn't put the difficult things up on the back shelf in my mind. For some reason, God wasn't going to be satisfied with me doing that. I felt the absolute fire of those beliefs and it nearly broke my soul. The suffering I went through brought me into the glorious gospel, which is the GLAD TIDINGS OF GOOD NEWS FOR ALL MEN. And I wouldn't have it any other way. That suffering was part of the peeling back of layers and getting to the truth.

Just keep going.....the true picture of God is like seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time. You are on the winding path that leads up to it, but if you stop along the way, and don't keep going.... you'll miss out on the most wondrous, awesome thing. Keep going. Keep peeling back those layers. FEEL what you believe.... and eventually you will stumble upon the TRUE picture of our beloved Creator. Just like turning the corner and that beautiful view unfolds in front of you.

peace,
sparrow

Old 08-23-2023, 12:38 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

I always feel a connection to her, because we had some similar experiences, and I didn't discover her until afterwards. These experiences led me to realize the true nature of God which is pure, agape love.

The experiences had to do with actually FEELING with all of my heart, mind and soul what it was that I was believing at the time, which was brought on by the two commands. Love God with all of your heart mind and soul (which just means get to KNOW and understand God, search Him out with ALL of your heart mind and soul because how can you HONESTLY say you love anyone or anything with that intensity, if you do NOT fully KNOW that being.). And the second command "Love your neighbor as yourself".

My heart did not throw up concrete walls against all of the things that were not right with my belief, with what others told me was God. What others said God was about. What others just ACCEPTED. I didn't put the difficult things up on the back shelf in my mind. For some reason, God wasn't going to be satisfied with me doing that. I felt the absolute fire of those beliefs and it nearly broke my soul. The suffering I went through brought me into the glorious gospel, which is the GLAD TIDINGS OF GOOD NEWS FOR ALL MEN. And I wouldn't have it any other way. That suffering was part of the peeling back of layers and getting to the truth.

Just keep going.....the true picture of God is like seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time. You are on the winding path that leads up to it, but if you stop along the way, and don't keep going.... you'll miss out on the most wondrous, awesome thing. Keep going. Keep peeling back those layers. FEEL what you believe.... and eventually you will stumble upon the TRUE picture of our beloved Creator. Just like turning the corner and that beautiful view unfolds in front of you.
peace,
sparrow
Wonderful witness, sparrow.

Old 08-25-2023, 01:36 AM

461 posts, read 23,046 times
Recommended:
Zorba The Greek. Nikos Kazantzakis
The Imitation of Christ. Thomas a Kempis.
St. Francis. Nikos Kazantzakis.
The Shoes Of The Fisherman. Morris L. West. (Great movie, too.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Pa567w314

The Prophetic Imagination. Walter Brueggemann.

Old 08-25-2023, 07:07 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Have Imitation by my bedside. Invaluable.
That is one of the best books I have read also, specially the first half. You can read it online in the link below

Catholic Treasury | Imitation Of Christ

Old 08-25-2023, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
That is one of the best books I have read also, specially the first half. You can read it online in the link below

Catholic Treasury | Imitation Of Christ
Other books I enjoyed were and can be read online are Christ triumphant by Thomas all in and restitution of all things by Andrew jukes.

https://tentmaker.org/books/ChristTriumphant.htm

https://www.tlchrist.info/restitution2.html#p002

Old 08-25-2023, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

peace,
sparrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Wonderful witness, sparrow.
I second that

Old 08-29-2023, 11:47 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
https://www.amazon.com/Saints-That-M.../dp/B000H2DRAQ

Old 08-29-2023, 12:03 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
"The Wounded Healer"

Henri Nouwen

Last edited by Oakback; 08-29-2023 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity