U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:42 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,448,764 times

Advertisements

The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 2 Cor. 10:4-5

As I was driving to work yesterday i was going thru my normal mind wonderings between bills, the weekend, my job, how much my boss was or has been getting on my nerves, and this scripture kept popping into my head, no not the whole scripture but the part about "holding every thought captive."
And then i realized something, some of the negative things that get me down, Ive let them in. Instead of thinking them and letting them go, I had chosen to dwell on them, and well to be honest they were getting me down.

Today is a new start for me in this area, if a thought comes in that is negative, or doesnt line up with what God says, Im gonna hold it captive, and not dwell on it, and turn the negative into a postive and make it line up with the word of God. Im gonna start laying all that negative junk at Gods feet, because this week three times..not just once but three times this week that ive done this, God has turned the situation around for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 08:24 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,211,679 times
I like that ...I hope I can do the same. :-)

Old 04-19-2008, 08:59 AM

12,157 posts, read 15,556,486 times
Thanks for sharing. God bless.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:18 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,068,515 times
'Thought-stopping' or 'containing' information are great tools. It seems like it's worked for you. Nice testimony.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:30 AM

13,640 posts, read 23,509,376 times
Thanks Arguy, such good advice..

Old 04-19-2008, 10:35 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,537,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 2 Cor. 10:4-5

As I was driving to work yesterday i was going thru my normal mind wonderings between bills, the weekend, my job, how much my boss was or has been getting on my nerves, and this scripture kept popping into my head, no not the whole scripture but the part about "holding every thought captive."
And then i realized something, some of the negative things that get me down, Ive let them in. Instead of thinking them and letting them go, I had chosen to dwell on them, and well to be honest they were getting me down.

Today is a new start for me in this area, if a thought comes in that is negative, or doesnt line up with what God says, Im gonna hold it captive, and not dwell on it, and turn the negative into a postive and make it line up with the word of God. Im gonna start laying all that negative junk at Gods feet, because this week three times..not just once but three times this week that ive done this, God has turned the situation around for me.
Wow...good one! Does this post ever hit home!!! I too have struggled with a "loose cannon on the deck" boss. It would be so easy to entertain negative thoughts about him. I find that things work out way better overall if I pray for him. No, it's not easy. In fact, I just about have to force myself to pray, because my carnal mind, with it's negative thinking, would rather entertain thoughts of him "getting tarred and feathered", or "falling off a 100-story building", or something similar. The old nature keeps wanting to entertain possible actions like "I could do this to him", or "I could do that to him". No, we are to lay those thoughts aside, at the Lord's feet. Pray, and then just forget it. Let God handle it. Besides, somewhere in the Bible it says "vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord...". Don't try to steal away God's vengeance. You are nowhere near as good at it, as He is....
What does holding a thought "captive" mean? I think it means you don't let a thought take control of your actions. Once a thought controls you, the next thing that happens is the tongue is telling others "all about it". Then it is generally too late to take it captive...because it's running loose and out the door...and doing whatever it is that it's going to do.

Bud

Old 04-19-2008, 11:58 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,989,158 times
Quote:

Thanks;
For the kind reminder,
God Bless You

Old 04-19-2008, 12:56 PM

22,771 posts, read 32,956,963 times
Quote:

Great post arguy! God's mighty weapons, prayer, faith, hope, love, His Word, the Holy Spirit are powerful.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:11 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,174,607 times
Quote:

Thank you for this post... it is a confirmation for me.
Yes, I have learned a lot lately how in our wills when we permit are thoughts to dwell on things out of God's will how we usely will end up taking matters into our own hands. And sometimes we don't realize we are doing this until the Holy Spirit comes instantly with the word to deliver us from those thoughts that come only to kill, steal and destroy God's peace in our lives.

And yes when we listen to the Lord as He brings His word to us and we obey it how He does turn it all around for us.

Disciplining our minds and will is a moment to moment task. But just as I have learned we don't realize how much garbage comes in until we start learning to discipline our minds and taking captive our thoughts and making them obedient unto Christ Jesus.

Blessings to you!

Old 04-20-2008, 05:44 PM
HDL

3,212 posts, read 6,538,246 times
Thumbs up WONDERFUL thread Arguy1973!!!

I absolutely LOVE it ! I had left the Christianity forum due to all the fighting, bickering and nonsensical threads (imo ) and I'm so HAPPY to return and see a thread like this that is uplifting, encouraging and based on scripture (at least in my Bible )!

Thanks for making my Sunday afternoon !

Blessings ALL

~HDL~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity