Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 07:55 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times

Advertisements

I guess why do you believe "have faith" in Paul's writings? Is it because he said he was divinely inspired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 03:00 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
What are you wanting to not believe in?

Old 04-18-2008, 03:27 PM

23,010 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Because I believe the Bible is God's Word.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:33 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
IMHO why do i have faith at all and why do others have none? i do feel inspired by the writings of paul. because for me it worked. i tend to hold on to stuff that works. when it does not work i get rid of it. for me i dont get mad at other people or go on a mission to convince others they are full of it when it does not work for me. a big waste of time and energy. i got more fun things to do.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:36 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,581,217 times
Paul's authority is what was given to him by the holy spirit. Of course, Paul shouldn't be on the same level of Jesus, but his words are spirit inspired.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:02 PM

14,867 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Also I think that Paul's authority as an apostle were presented in the signs. deeds. and wonders that were characteristic of an apostle. (2 Corin. 12) His writings are included in the canon of inspired scriptures. God bless.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:12 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
I know a lot of people and a couple congregations who come very close to worshipping Paul..Everything is Paul said this or that..Not much is preached from the four gospels which contain the "good news" that Jesus taught..I think there is a lot of misunderstanding today when people try to apply Pauls instructions to the early churches in Corinth and Ephesus to us today..That is as always just my opinion.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-18-2008 at 06:23 PM..

Old 04-18-2008, 06:19 PM

14,867 posts, read 17,143,188 times
I am just wondering, blue, how would someone see the good news presented in the four gospels that Jesus taught as different from the good news that Paul taught? Jesus taught Paul too and the basic message is the same. But I know that some believe that the writings of Paul are geared more for the Gentile Christians. I don't believe that anyone should worship Paul or any of the apostles. God bless.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:23 PM

90 posts, read 249,866 times
I have faith in Paul's writings because they are part of the Bible. I believe that the Bible is the Word of God and that the men who wrote it composed and recorded without error God's revelation to man. I don't have an issue with the fact that men wrote it down and men "decided" what to include in the cannon at the council of Trent. God is all powerful. I have no problem believing that if He wanted something included or excluded, He could have managed it.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:41 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I am just wondering, blue, how would someone see the good news presented in the four gospels that Jesus taught as different from the good news that Paul taught? Jesus taught Paul too and the basic message is the same. But I know that some believe that the writings of Paul are geared more for the Gentile Christians. I don't believe that anyone should worship Paul or any of the apostles. God bless.
I think you may have misread my post..I did not say that Paul did not preach the "Good news" He did.Paul never met or sat or learned at the feet of Jesus while he was alive. Paul was a pharisee bent on destroying the early church and murdered christians, until he says he had an encounter on the road to Damascus in Acts 22 when Jesus appeared in a vision..What I was referring to in my post is plainly about the church at Corinth and Ephesus, which I am sure you are familiar these two cities were steeped into worshipping Athena and others and had temples to them..They had never heard the "good news " until Paul taught it..The problem I refer to are his instructions to the churches he was trying to establish there. He had to give them some rules because of their lifestyles which were quite different now 2000 years in the future..We have the bible and 2000 years of teaching behind us that the Corinthians and Ephesians didn't..God Bless..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity