Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 10:47 AM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
You give up all you own to care for the widows and elderly of Israel, and you will find through giving up everything, you now own everything, and unless you give up everything, you can never learn that owning everything is even an option.......A person can really choose to study day and night to become a priest, and while he has committed to study, everything can fall into place that allows him to do so as if a table is set before him, and literally better than sparrows.Everything you need falling in your lap before you ask, a very magical thing....God tells you straight up,'' YOU JUST TEST ME AND SEE IF I DO NOT POUR OUT SUCH A BLESSING AS TO BE LIKE WINDOWS OPENED UP IN HEAVEN.............God has given us MANY PROMISES saying,''DO THIS AND I WILL GIVE YOU THAT.''

Astonishing promises even to making you a son of oil where God pours his oil on your head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
In the Millennial kingdom, Jesus will be the king, the government will be on his shoulders as stated in Isaiah 9:6, so yes, it will be a political kingdom with Jesus ruling on the throne of David in Jerusalem. It will be perfect government, with perfect conditions, swords will be beaten into plowshares and man will learn war no more, the lion will lay down with the lamb, etc., so . . .heaven on earth. However, even with all that, many will still rebel against Jesus. But this is all Biblical. If you don't believe what the Bible has to say about conditions in the Millennial kingdom then you have no valid basis for defining the Millennial kingdom and will image it according to your own imagination.
I do believe ALL of the bible mike, who is the lion and who is the lamb?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Good thread idea, Meerkat. In addition to the many good answers already given, I'd like to refer to the parables. When Jesus describes the kingdom of Heaven in these parables, it leaves me with more questions than answers. I think that is a good thing, and points to the 'multi-layered' nature of scripture. And is an antidote toward dogmatism.

<snip>
So it's a means of discernment? Or a time?

<snip>

It is something that grows and develops?

There's more, but what I gathered after considering these is that it is hard to pin down. It's many things and not confined to any, but in few cases can one point to anything and say "THAT is the kingdom..."

But I think when Jesus taught about it in so many parables--which are deliberately not literal--he was telling us something of the nature of it--that we shouldn't try to put it in a box by saying "look here..." One thing that struck me is that the kingdom of heaven is something dynamic, not static, both inside and outside (because those are dualities imposed by the worldly mind).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I believe the one who is using their imagination would be you, or those who wrote the Scriptures? Did Jesus not say, My Kingdom is not an earthly kingdom? If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting, so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with the physical, or that it is based on the same aspects or structure as that of humanities. Why would he need a temple to rule and reign from in the physical sense of the word? Could it not be, that man seeks a utopia, one where there is no pain and suffering? And, how would this planet contain all there is, or will be? What is going to happen when we double the population that we presently have on this earth? It appears to me, that people are still looking for a King to rule over them. Why?
Thank you for your input
What I see with the kingdom is all what you have said more, there is a physicality of the kingdom (body) and then the non-dimensional, unbound, free, spiritual which influences us, and the scriptures say do not hoard “gold” “silver” “food” “clothes” because God supplies it all to us when we need it

There are temporal kingdoms, societies, tribes, nationalities etc here which already have leaders political and religious ones, some are doing good things for the citizens and subjects of those kingdoms and some bad ..... and they are increasingly getting into each other’s business and judging each other and fighting each other

What I gather from the scriptures, which is my base, The kingdom of God is not like that ....... it is based on justice and mercy which together expresses LOVE ...... when we bring up children we set them boundaries, hold them accountable for their actions, if they do wrong we discipline them, which if we do punish them, the punishment is only used for a purpose, discipline is about purging their desire for bad actions and rewarding their good actions training them to fit into society.... the word disciple comes from there

If we follow the spirit, we are not the servants, who do the fighting ...... we are free

Last edited by Meerkat2; 12-15-2019 at 11:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 10:58 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I was of course using 'you' in a general sense.

Jesus is both the Lamb of God and the Lion of Judah.

Oh. You may be referring to my mention of the lion laying down with the lamb, I take that to mean a literal lion and lamb. In the Millennial kingdom animals will lose their fierceness.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I was of course using 'you' in a general sense.

Jesus is both the Lamb of God and the Lion of Judah.
Sure, and “they” both lie down together

Old 12-15-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Sure, and “they” both lie down together
I added to my post. Please read the addition.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
I do not believe that the kingdom of God is within us.
Now, I am not picking on 'you' in particular - but pointing out what I see in any who think this,
that being:
"Why would you think it was within - have you ever, with respect, spent much time going within to see?
So if you have never experienced it directly - your belief doesn't mean much."

-I think that dentist is good.
Why?
-I saw an ad that said he was, with testimonials.
Have you ever experienced his work?
-No.

This is what I mean - it is not how I, my mind or my method of belief works.
Now, I will tell anyone that cares - after sitting in stillness up to 3-6 hours at a time for 47 yrs now-
The Kingdom of Heaven is inside - and more than anyone really can imagine - that leaves
one in awe-struck tears - with extreme devotion and reverence to the All That Is, the Infinite Essence
that pervades all things...trying not to say God for my atheist friends...but I personally say my Father.

This is my exp - that's all - so am offering another perspective to the group..I kinda know
this means little to you personally. I take no offense.
Beliefs are fine and dandy - direct experience up-close and personal means more to me.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Could it just mean peace and harmony? There are similar verses even in the OT.

"The wolfe also shall dwell with the lambe, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid and the calfe and the yong lion, and the fatling together, and a little child shall lead them. "

“The wolf and the lamb shall graze together, and the lion shall eat straw like the ox; and dust shall be the serpent’s food. They shall do no evil or harm in all My holy mountain,” says the LORD."

Old 12-15-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Now, I am not picking on 'you' in particular - but pointing out what I see in any who think this,
that being:
"Why would you think it was within - have you ever, with respect, spent much time going within to see?
There is no kingdom within to experience. Emotional feelings can't make what isn't into something that is. As I said, a person either goes by what the Bible, both Old and New Testament, say about the kingdom, or a person images the kingdom according to his imagination.

All right. This thread is just going to turn into another argument which I don't care to get into. I stand by what I've already posted and I'm going to leave it at that. Everyone will just go on believing what they already do no matter what else I might say. I've better uses of my time.

Old 12-15-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
that being:

-I think that dentist is good.
Why?
-I saw an ad that said he was, with testimonials.
Have you ever experienced his work?
-No.

This is what I mean - it is not how I, my mind or my method of belief works.
Now, I will tell anyone that cares - after sitting in stillness up to 3-6 hours at a time for 47 yrs now-
The Kingdom of Heaven is inside - and more than anyone really can imagine - that leaves
one in awe-struck tears - with extreme devotion and reverence to the All That Is, the Infinite Essence
that pervades all things...trying not to say God for my atheist friends...but I personally say my Father.

This is my exp - that's all - so am offering another perspective to the group..I kinda know
this means little to you personally. I take no offense.
Beliefs are fine and dandy - direct experience up-close and personal mean more to me.
It’s about context miss h, there is a part which is internal and is spiritual, so Yes we have access to being in that spiritual kingdom which is felt, and yes I feel and experience it, I also see other sides as well though

Old 12-15-2019, 11:49 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
I don't use my imagination. I go by the scriptures.

The kingdom wasn't of 'this' world. But when Jesus returns and overthrows the kingdoms or nations of this world, things will be different. I believe the Old Testament prophecies concerning the kingdom that is to come. So did Jesus' disciples when they asked him after his resurrection if it was at that time he would restore the kingdom to Israel. Jesus' answer to them that it was not for them to know the times or epochs which the Father had fixed by His own authority.
That could also mean the extinction of humanity, as we know it, and the creation of a new life form.

Old 12-15-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Could it just mean peace and harmony? There are similar verses even in the OT.

"The wolfe also shall dwell with the lambe, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid and the calfe and the yong lion, and the fatling together, and a little child shall lead them. "

“The wolf and the lamb shall graze together, and the lion shall eat straw like the ox; and dust shall be the serpent’s food. They shall do no evil or harm in all My holy mountain,” says the LORD."
Yes, yes, yes

Neither JEW, GENTILE (Greek) slave (Roman) free, male/female

We can choose to be a slave .... or we can be free

But if we are free, it is freedom IN THE SPIRIT

and we know what the fruit of the spirit is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity