Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 09:17 AM

3,825 posts, read 1,382,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Can God Reach the Mentally Disabled?-I can find no Bible text telling us forthrightly that mentally disabled people who cannot confess Jesus Christ as Savior are "under God's salvation." There is only one path to salvation—the path of an informed faith in Jesus Christ.
I think you've got things backwards. We're long told 'blessed are the meek -they shall inherit the earth', and mentally disabled would certainly qualify as among the 'meekest'.

You really should be asking yourself 'Can God reach the fully intact (who have been given much) - thru the meek (mentally disabled/disfigured) among us' ??

I would have to answer a resounding YES - my cousin Eddie with severe Down Syndrome - has been touching hearts of everybody in his family and beyond, who gets to know him, and lives to show us that life is wonderful and worth living! Doctors wanted to terminate him (in-utero), social-workers said he would never learn anything or be able to contribute to society, and most said he would never live past 25.
Now, at 54yo, He, his family, and God - have proved them ALL wrong - and every day He shows us what Love is all about!

I have no doubt in my mind, that when (all our) time comes, we will have to answer one simple question: "If Eddie could do it, Why couldn't You"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 09:35 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
I think you've got things backwards. We're long told 'blessed are the meek -they shall inherit the earth', and mentally disabled would certainly qualify as among the 'meekest'.

You really should be asking yourself 'Can God reach the fully intact (who have been given much) - thru the meek (mentally disabled/disfigured) among us' ??

I would have to answer a resounding YES - my cousin Eddie with severe Down Syndrome - has been touching hearts of everybody in his family and beyond, who gets to know him, and lives to show us that life is wonderful and worth living! Doctors wanted to terminate him (in-utero), social-workers said he would never learn anything or be able to contribute to society, and most said he would never live past 25.
Now, at 54yo, He, his family, and God - have proved them ALL wrong - and every day He shows us what Love is all about!

I have no doubt in my mind, that when (all our) time comes, we will have to answer one simple question: "If Eddie could do it, Why couldn't You"?
I don't think the mentally disabled need to be reached by God. They are already way ahead of the rest of us.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:20 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,404,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post

Faith if it is ever right, is right by accident.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:32 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think the mentally disabled need to be reached by God. They are already way ahead of the rest of us.
I know right, it's a weird question like asking if babies go to hell.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:27 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Bragging about being one of the elect is very different from people who say God is a fairytale. They are atheists. Of course they are going to mock Christians. Don't you think the whole idea sounds completely idiotic to people who don't believe in anything beyond what they can physically discern? Why would that bother you? Why would I take them to task? It is expected.
Right. One is saying that out of nothing they've done, not of any personal attribute, God has graciously saved them, while the other arrogantly proclaims that they're the smart ones to realize God doesn't exist.
Quote:
Once again I am going to point out to you that you see things through an "I'm being attacked" prism, or you would not have said the bolded. I am not "taking you to task".
Again, you seem to miss the point
Quote:
But I am not an atheist, so I am putting to you honest and forthright questions about what you believe from the perspective of another person.

I know you didn't say I cannot be of the elect, but within the framework of your beliefs, I cannot. I was not chosen. I am not elect.
I don't know that. I haven't said that. Please stop putting words in my mouth.
Quote:
But thanks for the wishes for a long life. I'm 61, my mother is 91, so there's a possibility. But I also know better than most on this board that it can just as easily end in a split second while you're carrying your morning coffee out of a cafeteria and you will live or you will die regardless of what religion, or none, you held to on that day.

And I just looked at the topic and realized how far from it we are. Watch out for the mods.
This started with me saying God is in control and he gets to decide if the mentally disabled are saved. The rest was you and others trying to trap me in my words.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Right. One is saying that out of nothing they've done, not of any personal attribute, God has graciously saved them, while the other arrogantly proclaims that they're the smart ones to realize God doesn't exist.
There is nothing "arrogant" about not being able to believe something that sounds crazy.

Quote:
Again, you seem to miss the point
I don't know that. I haven't said that. Please stop putting words in my mouth.
I am unclear as to how a sentence beginning with "I know you didn't say that..." is "putting words in your mouth". I'm starting to think you don't actually even read the posts through before you answer.

Quote:
This started with me saying God is in control and he gets to decide if the mentally disabled are saved. The rest was you and others trying to trap me in my words.
I can't speak for others, but I was not trying to trap you. I am merely trying to get you to step outside yourself and see how your words appear to others. And AGAIN please lose the faux paranoia/you're-all-picking-on-me schtick. It's old.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:50 PM

14,882 posts, read 17,156,182 times
God is the savior of all (1 Timothy 4:10) and this includes the mentally disabled. He will save and heal them. He is described as love and not as a hateful monster. God bless.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:55 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
There is nothing "arrogant" about not being able to believe something that sounds crazy.

I am unclear as to how a sentence beginning with "I know you didn't say that..." is "putting words in your mouth". I'm starting to think you don't actually even read the posts through before you answer.

I can't speak for others, but I was not trying to trap you. I am merely trying to get you to step outside yourself and see how your words appear to others. And AGAIN please lose the faux paranoia/you're-all-picking-on-me schtick. It's old.
If God really is a petty little child who would really torment a person with fire for an eternity, a person should get a clue. If people are really worried about the salvation of mentally disabled people or babies concerning the God of the Bible, WHY, would they believe in a God like that?

Is God a monster that we would even torment a mentally disabled person?

If somebody really has to fear for the salvation of the mentally disabled person, WHY WOULD HE FOLLOW A GOD LIKE THAT?

Such a God would so quickly prove himself not to be a God at all.

Why would people belive in such a petty, wicked God?

Old 02-17-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
If God really is a petty little child who would really torment a person with fire for an eternity, a person should get a clue. If people are really worried about the salvation of mentally disabled people or babies concerning the God of the Bible, WHY, would they believe in a God like that?

Is God a monster that we would even torment a mentally disabled person?

If somebody really has to fear for the salvation of the mentally disabled person, WHY WOULD HE FOLLOW A GOD LIKE THAT?

Such a God would so quickly prove himself not to be a God at all.

Why would people belive in such a petty, wicked God?
They would have to be petty, wicked people.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:21 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
God is the savior of all (1 Timothy 4:10) and this includes the mentally disabled. He will save and heal them. He is described as love and not as a hateful monster. God bless.
Even the Amalekites it commanded that everything and everyone including babies be “utterly destroy” them for something their ancestors did?

Look it up 1 Sam 15

Are the Amalekite saved?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity