Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 01:11 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,787,858 times

Advertisements

...and STILL another post in the R&S forum has brought me here.

It seems that when a number of people read the bible, they take so much of it literally. Now, I mentioned in other post, that wisdom is needed to be able to interpret what is written. Yet, we don't do that.

I see God as a "just?" judge, and Jesus as our "lawyer" (our advocate).

Jesus said that no one comes to the Father, but through HIM. God is the ultimate GOOD judge; Jesus is our Savior. Our "lawyer", so to speak.

Jesus was more concerned about the spirit of the law; not the letter of the law.

Does anyone know the difference?

Consider a man doing 90 miles per hour on a freeway late at night. His child is in the back seat of the car, choking on a chicken bone. A cop sees him, and turns his lights on, and follows him...

The parent gets to the hospital. He gets medical assistance for his child. The cop has a choice.

Do I write up the guy for speeding?

If he did, he'd be applying the letter of the law. After all, it's against the law to speed.

But if he applied the spirit of the law, he would understand, that the guy broke the law for 'good'.

He'd let the guy go, and maybe even stick around long enough to make sure that the child was o.k.

I think THAT'S what Jesus was trying to tell us. Pay attention to the spirit.

Do *you* do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 02:29 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
The inbred law through the spirit comes through the baptism of Holy Spirit to lead His people with the meat of the gospel which believers will discern righteousness through the spirit , like discern the authority of the devil to reject evil through Holy Spirit so the fruits of the spirit will flourish ....... Where the letter of the law which is said`` to kill`` means the law becomes a substitute for God so faith in God will fail, So God put His rules in the spirit to counter the poor teachers of the past , and believers will have to lean of God when the law comes through the Spirit , even through the ten commandments of Moses are part of the law through the spirit of Christ ...........

Old 02-17-2020, 03:44 PM

3,061 posts, read 913,300 times
Galatians 19- What, then, was the purpose of the Law? It was added in order to show what wrongdoing is, and it was meant to last until the coming of Abraham's descendant, to whom the promise was made. The Law was handed down by angels, with a man acting as a go-between. But a go-between is not needed when only one person is involved; and God is one.

Does this mean that the Law is against God's promises? No, not at all! For if human beings had received a law that could bring life, then everyone could be put right with God by obeying it. But the scripture says that the whole world is under the power of sin; and so the gift which is promised on the basis of faith in Jesus Christ is given to those who believe.

But before the time for faith came, the Law kept us all locked up as prisoners until this coming faith should be revealed.

And so the Law was in charge of us until Christ came, in order that we might then be put right with God through faith. Now that the time for faith is here, the Law is no longer in charge of us.

Christ came with the new covenant that has set us free from being prisoners of the Black and white letters of the written laws, we are no longer afraid of loosing our immortal souls, by lying to save the life of an innocent person.

For I tell you now that you can lie
There is a time to steal
There is a time to disobey
There is a time to kill
There is a work that must be done
Upon the Sabbath day
No one who understands the Lord
Would teach another way.

For the Lord God judges not on what you do
The heart and soul of man he searches through
It's the 'REASON'....why the deeds of man are done
This is what the Lord God judges on...…….The Anointed.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:04 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post

It seems that when a number of people read the bible, they take so much of it literally. Now, I mentioned in other post, that wisdom is needed to be able to interpret what is written. Yet, we don't do that.

Jesus said that no one comes to the Father, but through HIM. God is the ultimate GOOD judge; Jesus is our Savior. Our "lawyer", so to speak.

Jesus was more concerned about the spirit of the law; not the letter of the law.

Consider a man doing 90 miles per hour on a freeway late at night. His child is in the back seat of the car, choking on a chicken bone. A cop sees him, and turns his lights on, and follows him...

The parent gets to the hospital. He gets medical assistance for his child. The cop has a choice.

If he did, he'd be applying the letter of the law. After all, it's against the law to speed.

But if he applied the spirit of the law, he would understand, that the guy broke the law for 'good'.

He'd let the guy go, and maybe even stick around long enough to make sure that the child was o.k.

Do *you* do that?

You're dead and condemned either way.....

Old 02-17-2020, 08:24 PM

3,220 posts, read 923,679 times
“By your words you’ll be justified and by your words you’ll be condemned.

Man does not live by bread alone but by EVERY word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

Anyone who hears my word and does not keep it, I’m not the one to condemn him, for I did not come to condemn the world , I came to save it. Anyone who rejects me AND DOES NOT ACCEPT MY WORD he already has his judge, namely the words I’ve spoken that’s what will condemn him on the last day.

If you continue in my word you are truly my disciple......

The man who comes to me hears my word and uses it.

I have given them the words you gave me and they accepted them....

As the Father sent me so I send you.....

What I have done that’s what you must do....”

Last edited by Free4you; 02-17-2020 at 08:41 PM..

Old 02-17-2020, 08:27 PM

23,126 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post

Do *you* do that?
Dont worry, the law states that you have to travel to Jerusalem 3 times a year to keep Pesach, Shavuot, and Sukkot, and then there are all the little laws concerning what you must do on these feasts, but I wont judge Christians in whether they make the trip, I Cant judge them in a religion they aint in...........

It would be down right silly to judge people in a law they reject, a worship system they are not a part of, I could no more judge the Christian honoring and keeping God's ways than I could the Muslim.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Such discussions are discussions that can ONLY take place amongst people who practiced the same religion of Christ..

There is no law in Christianity, how do you expect to compare the literal laws with spiritual, or even have a discussion about a law with its own set of Sabbaths, Holy days and laws of holy days with a lawless Christianity which has no perspective or opinion of the law they refuse to even study?

Christians cannot have a valid opinion of a law they never tried practicing, I cant judge a Christian by what they dont practice.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:26 PM

3,220 posts, read 923,679 times
“Law will be sent from Zion, the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.”

“Blessed is he who’s way is blameless, who walks in the law of the Lord.”

“Blessed is he who hears the word of the Lord and keeps it.”

Old 02-17-2020, 10:32 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
“Law will be sent from Zion, the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.”
“Blessed is he who’s way is blameless, who walks in the law of the Lord.”
“Blessed is he who hears the word of the Lord and keeps it.”
Since Pentecost which Law ______ for Christ is the end of the old Mosaic Law - Romans 10:4; Romans 3:20 B.
Christians are to fulfill the ' Law of Christ ' - Galatians 6:2
The Law of Christ as Jesus instructed at John 13:34; John 15:12

Old 02-17-2020, 11:36 PM

3,061 posts, read 913,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Dont worry, the law states that you have to travel to Jerusalem 3 times a year to keep Pesach, Shavuot, and Sukkot, and then there are all the little laws concerning what you must do on these feasts, but I wont judge Christians in whether they make the trip, I Cant judge them in a religion they aint in...........

It would be down right silly to judge people in a law they reject, a worship system they are not a part of, I could no more judge the Christian honoring and keeping God's ways than I could the Muslim.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Such discussions are discussions that can ONLY take place amongst people who practiced the same religion of Christ..

There is no law in Christianity, how do you expect to compare the literal laws with spiritual, or even have a discussion about a law with its own set of Sabbaths, Holy days and laws of holy days with a lawless Christianity which has no perspective or opinion of the law they refuse to even study?

Christians cannot have a valid opinion of a law they never tried practicing, I cant judge a Christian by what they dont practice.
Galatians 3 19-25; "
What, then, was the purpose of the Law? It was added in order to show what wrongdoing is, and it was meant to last until the coming of Abraham's descendant, to whom the promise was made. The Law was handed down by angels, with a man acting as a go-between. But a go-between is not needed when only one person is involved; and God is one.

Does this mean that the Law is against God's promises? No, not at all! For if human beings had received a law that could bring life, then everyone could be put right with God by obeying it. But the scripture says that the whole world is under the power of sin; and so the gift which is promised on the basis of faith in Jesus Christ is given to those who believe.

But before the time for faith came, 'THE LAW KEPT US ALL LOCKED UP AS PRISONERS' until this coming faith should be revealed. And so the Law was in charge of us until Christ came, in order that we might then be put right with God through faith. Now that the time for faith is here, the Law is no longer in charge of us.

Colossians 16-17; " Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are merely shadows of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. (The Lord of the 0ne thousand year Sabbath, of which the weekly Sabbath was but a shadow of the future reality.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:06 AM

23,126 posts, read 10,426,638 times
As I said, what do the books of the law and Christian disrespect for Moses have to do with things written to people who love and contenplate his Torah all day, in the least, what has it to do with people that dont even have the same worship system of Christ? Everything you quote was written to Gentile converts of Judaism. Gentiles who had so much love and passion for Torah with so much zeal as to take it to far.

Now I say these were Gentile converts of Judaism, whose religion do you pretend them to be converts of?

Of course we are speaking of pagans who gave up the worship of other Gods, Gentiles who actually accepted a Passover lamb, why do you keep quoting scripture written to converts of Judaism to attack Judaism?

You have already proven you wont bend.

So what religion do you claim those Gentile converts converted to?

At the least, could you please list the holy days those converts converted to?

We both know that you dont even share common Holy days with Christ or any of his disciples, and the fact being that you dont even share common holy days with Christ or his disciples should clue you in about quoting scripture written to people with a different Sabbath, different OPPOSING holy days.

Can you not understand this?

How your opinion on the religion of Jesus is lacking from the fact that you not only dont share the same religion, BUT INDEED, fight against it.

Am I wrong?

Please tell me I am wrong and that you do love and keep the same religion as Christ.

What is wrong here is that I can speak these simple facts, and it doesnt bother you that that they are true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity