Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 07:38 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,579,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I could have sworn some of those 900 women Solomon slept with were concubines, not wives. I don't think Abraham married Sarah's maid, Hagar either. I think he just slept with her. These were supposedly holy men.

Quod licet Iovi
Non licet bovi.

Otherwise:

Ten Commandments
  • Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
  • Honour thy father and thy mother.
  • Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
  • Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
  • Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
  • Thou shalt not kill.
  • Thou shalt not commit adultery.
  • Thou shalt not stea
a·dul·ter·y

/əˈdəlt(ə)rē/
Learn to pronounce

noun
noun: adultery; plural noun: adulteries

vvoluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and a person who is not his or her spouse.

That folks go to church does not mean they are true believers.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:14 PM

263 posts, read 93,488 times
John 8:1-12 King James Version (KJV)

8 Jesus went unto the mount of Olives.
2 And early in the morning he came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.
3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,
4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.
10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

A Christian church will be following Christs teachings or they are not Christian nor a Church.

Adultery, as seen above per Jesus, is to walk in darkness. Jesus called it a sin by telling the adulteress to go and sin no more. He saved her from being stoned, so chose not to condemn her, but to instruct her in the proper way. This is what Christians do, do not condemn the person but do call out the sin. Why? Because those involved in adultery are walking in darkness. Instead we want them walking in light

GOD HIMSELF calls Adultery a sin when he wrote the 10 commandments with his finger in the OT (although we live under the New Covenant in which clearly, our Lord also calls it sin. No wiggle room here whatsoever).

Old 06-15-2020, 07:16 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
In serious translations, there are text notes about John 8. Most scholars believe it was added hundreds of years after John wrote his Gospel. The oldest and most reliable texts do not contain this text. Therefore it is not used in theological discussions by most conservative Christian theologians.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:56 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,828,609 times
When it comes to relationship with God, Christ and the Holy Spirit - the return of some to legalism, suggests a desire to be 'justified under the law' (ie; "Can I get away with this?", "Can I do this and still go to heaven?", "Can I escape judgment by using this or that technicality?").

Ultimately, all are either subject to Justice under the law' or 'Grace in Christ.' If one is truly seeking God, through Christ, in their heart, they are no longer under the law --- NOR are they trying to walk as close to the line between the flesh and Spirit as they can ... without falling into the pit.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
In serious translations, there are text notes about John 8. Most scholars believe it was added hundreds of years after John wrote his Gospel. The oldest and most reliable texts do not contain this text. Therefore it is not used in theological discussions by most conservative Christian theologians.
I am sure our almightly God has it figured out what he wants to present to us. His words. Trust Almightly God

Old 06-15-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
When it comes to relationship with God, Christ and the Holy Spirit - the return of some to legalism, suggests a desire to be 'justified under the law' (ie; "Can I get away with this?", "Can I do this and still go to heaven?", "Can I escape judgment by using this or that technicality?").

Ultimately, all are either subject to Justice under the law' or 'Grace in Christ.' If one is truly seeking God, through Christ, in their heart, they are no longer under the law --- NOR are they trying to walk as close to the line between the flesh and Spirit as they can ... without falling into the pit.
spot on

Old 06-15-2020, 10:24 AM

1 Corinthians 7:2

But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband.

Sex outside of marriage as seen above is sin.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:02 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomii View Post

But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband.

Because Paul said so?

Old 06-15-2020, 11:20 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomii View Post

Actually, that would be sexual immorality, such as idol worship and prostitution, nothing about an intimate and loving, committed, monogamous relationship for which you do not need a marriage certificate. Rather than that of disgusting, free for all orgies. Marriage licenses began to be issued in the middle ages, to permit a marriage which would otherwise be illegal. In times past, marriage was a private contract between families, whereas, you could not marry certain people. Search for the reasons for a marriage license which prevented interracial marriages. In addition, to preventing under age marriages. Today it is used as proof of a couple's legal obligations to each other as husband and wife, as well as who receives Social Security, medical and survivor benefits, etc.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:58 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
Its not enough to say all you need to have a marriage before God is if it is committed and monogamous. It is also supposed to be lifelong. "What God has joined together let not man put asunder". God hates divorce andJesus only allowed for divorce in the case of adultery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity